Need suggestions

Online Users: 1,265 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 12
Need suggestions
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 3:32 PM

I want to get married on the beach, but I don't know how to start planning. Should I contact a travel agent or a wedding planner? If so, can anyone give me suggestions?alycostello@yahoo.com

Need suggestions
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm just beginning my beach wedding planning as well. First, decide when and where, and take time of year and weather under strong consideration. My DW is in Maui, and the weather is great year round! Second, consider a location where your guests can and will want to travel. I liked the idea of HI because it is in the U.S, and it doesn't require passports, customs, etc for my guests to deal with.
Third, a beach on the wedding makes everything else so much easier! We won't have to worry about an incredible amount of flower, decorations, etc, because we are already in a beautiful location! Have fun planning!!

Need suggestions
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 11:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I too have started to plan a DW, for next January. I had no idea where to begin, but you've started the best way - the net. We want to get married in the Dominican Republic, so I went to Google and typed in "Getting married in the Dominican Republic" and it lead me to some great pages, the one from "...Debbie's Travel Page" in particular. The page has a list of all the legal requirents and also a listing of resorts and the wedding packages they offer. I've gotten e-mail addresses from this site for wedding coordinators and received wedding package info from them. Hope this helps out a bit!

Need suggestions
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 7:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thank you Geewhiz and ashleyg this has helped. Goodluck to both of you and Congrats.

Thanks again!!
Alyssa

Need suggestions
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

There are lots of great all-inclusive resorts out there. They have everything right there, so that makes it so much easier for you.

Need suggestions
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hello!

I would contact the place where you wish to be married first. Sometimes they have coordinators to help you. If not look on these boards for referrals. That is what I am doing.

Good luck.

Need suggestions
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Been in your shoes and loved every minute of it!
We're set to go in July to Playa del Carmen, Mexico. This is what we did:
1. Decided on a destination - Playa del Carmen, Mexico
2. Researched:
www.tripadvisor.com
http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/
asked travel agents for advice(not always the best IMO)
3. Chose a resort based on: wedding pkg price, quick response from the wedding co-ordinator on site, affordability, amenities, wedding locations avail, food, high/ low season
4. Confirm a wedding date with the resort!!!! I can't stress this enough. Before you book your flights/ hotel make sure the resort or coordinator can accomodate you during your stay. We'd decided on a date with the coordinator, but didn't confirm, when we got back to her a couple days later our original date had been booked by another couple. Confirm Confirm Confirm!
4. Find a Travel Agent - we booked online with a great travel agent who was the fastest to respond -Annalynne at www.lonepalmtravel.com. Found that some office type travel agents were too keen to show us the "book prices" which are always higher than booking online! In addition, they always seem to push certain resorts which we didn't like. We'd done our research, and were looking for the best price which they were often too busy to be concerned with, or would check around and get back to us, only to quote us prices that were higher than what we could find ourselves.
5. Send out your invitations/ save the date cards. We sent our invitations and all booking information in early January for our July wedding in Playa. Yes its early, but if we'd just sent Save the Date cards and not provided booking information, some of our guests would not be coming due to our resort filling up quickly. Then, no one can say later, that they didn't have enough time to decide or book their trip.
5. Once you've booked let the resort coordinator know. Give them an estimate of the number of people going and let them know of the extras you might want in addition to their wedding package.
6. Now, wait for those invitations to come back.....and sit back and relax.

Good luck, please let me know if you have any other questions. I should also probably mention that most often it is not the travel agent's responsibility to take care of your wedding arrangements. You must do this directly with the resort unless you have prior arrangements with your TA.
Happy Planning Smile

Need suggestions
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

There's a website called Destination Bride that is useful if you're just starting to figure things out. http://www.destinationbride.com/

There is also a book called Destination Bride by Lisa Light (from the same people as the website) that lists locations all over the world including marriage requirements in each location, best time of year to get married there, etc.

The Knot's website has hundreds of bios of destination brides-to-be in every location imaginable. This is a great resource since it also lists vendors (and reviews of vendors) in their locations. Here's their Destination Brides site: http://gnyc.net/dw/index.html

The Knot also has a Destination Weddings Facts site, I HIGHLY recommend you take a look at that: http://talk.theknot.com/BOARDS/User/Profile.aspx?UserID=86119

Personally, we're getting married on The Big Island of Hawaii. We were referred to a local travel agent by family and she helped us set up some of the location visits. She's also assisting all our guests in travel to The Big Island including activities like golf and spa...she's AMAZING (she's even giving me tips on what to ask for in my hotel contracts!). Her name is Mary Huebner at The Travel Store of Kona. Give her a call, I promise you that you won't be disappointed, the number to the Travel Store of Kona is 877-331-2415.

Please let me know if you would like any further info on The Big Island...we literally visited almost every resort looking for our wedding location Smile

Good luck!

DaisySibyl Posts : 19 Registered: 2/8/12
Re: Need suggestions
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 2:56 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Guest, thank you very much for the links. I really appreciate it.
a perfect celebration

groom2012 Posts : 5 Registered: 5/15/12
Posted: May 16, 2012 3:40 AM Go to message in response to: DaisySibyl

My girlfriend and me also thought about a beach wedding, but decided for the classic church wedding instead. It's easier for the family to manage getting there - but our honeymoon will be in Phuket - love its beaches so much.

Jen271 Posts : 1 Registered: 6/2/12
Posted: Jun 2, 2012 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We chose the Rose Hall Suites all-inclusive in Jamaica. Very affordable, and I definitely recommend using a travel agent or travel planner. We found one in our area at http://www.allaboutescapes.com that specialized in honeymoon planning and offered a free honeymoon registry and free wedding website. So far we have over $800 toward our honeymoon and we hope to be able to upgrade to an oceanfront suite with the money we're receiving through the registry. It works very much like a store registry, and very easy to set up.

Good luck with your search!

Edited by: indigo11 on Jun 2, 2012 12:00 PM

James_smith Posts : 30 Registered: 6/18/12
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 8:51 AM Go to message in response to: Jen271

I need a perfect wedding honeymoon place to enjoy after the wedding?

Wedding hair | wedding ceremony music | unique wedding ideas | wedding services | wedding guest accommodations | wedding watch

Leila1 Posts : 6 Registered: 6/18/12
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest
RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine