Need Advice - to change the ring or not change the ring

Online Users: 1,331 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

Greg987 Posts : 3 Registered: 4/27/12
Need Advice - to change the ring or not change the ring
Posted: Apr 27, 2012 1:23 PM

Hello,

Here is my story...

My girlfriend saw a ring at a store that came from an estate sale and fell in love with it. It was the perfect cut diamond, antique looking, etc...

I went back and bought the ring, without her knowing, of course, and then took it to get appraised since it had no information whatsoever. First of all, I should tell you that the ring only cost me about 1/3 or so of what I was willing to pay had I actually went to a jewelry store and did the normal routine for buying an engagement ring.

Well the ring ended up being appraised for 5 times what I had paid, which was of course very, very exciting news. So, here is my question: Do I spend some of the extra money that I was going to spend on a ring and have this one altered to be even more beautiful, such as dipping it in platinum, or whatever, or just leave it alone? Another option would be to give her the ring as is, and THEN ask her if she wants to change it at all. I could also spend some of the money on another piece of jewelry like a bracelet or necklace and really spoil her. Thoughts?

I guess it just kind of bothers me that she'll know exactly what I paid for it, even though I obviously lucked out and got an amazing deal.

nycnichole Posts : 27 Registered: 4/12/12
Re: Need Advice - to change the ring or not change the ring
Posted: Apr 27, 2012 1:40 PM Go to message in response to: Greg987

If I saw a ring and fell in love with it then I would want that ring. The gesture of you buying her the ring that she loved will mean more to her than it's price tag.

Posted: Apr 27, 2012 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: nycnichole

Yeah, I thought about that, which is what I've actually been leaning towards. I've just been wondering if she "fell in love with it" because it looked good on the spot that day, and if she'd love it even more if I tweaked it.

I appreciate your response.

Posted: Apr 27, 2012 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: Greg987

I just got engaged this month and I "fell in love" with a ring too and my FH bought me the ring that I fell in love with. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. She was looking at an engagement ring so I'm sure that she was envisioning it as "her ring" and she loved it so I'm sure that she will be thrilled when you propose with it. I looked at a lot of other rings before I found the one that I loved and any of the other rings that I had a problem with or I didn't like something about them I just passed over and kept on looking. I didn't fall in love with all of them.

Posted: Apr 27, 2012 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: nycnichole

I made it pretty clear to my FH which ring I wanted! LOL

Posted: Apr 27, 2012 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: nycnichole

She's always said that she wants me to pick it out, and she's even told other people how I know exactly what type of ring that she wants. The cut, the band style, etc...so this ring just happens to match her wants, if you will. I think it's more that factor than the actual entire ring itself, which is why I have this debate within myself on tweaking it.

Rini Posts : 14 Registered: 4/10/12
Posted: Apr 28, 2012 2:06 AM Go to message in response to: Greg987

Thats so sweet of u.. U want to purchase as ur girlfriend like... Just give her what she want she would really love that u respect her words... Apart from that I suggest u if u wanna purchase anything related to ur wedding than do it online... www.grandgowns.com is the best online shopping portal which helps u in all ur wedding arrangement...

It was also assure both of u that u both will choose the samr thing online also u have many options...

I hope this works for u

ow its the time for u to prepare for ur wedding than why dont u go with www.grandgowns.com

they have the huge collection of
1. Wedding tiaras&headpieces
http://www.grandgowns.com/wedding-tiaras-headpieces

2. wedding veils
http://www.goodgoodschina.com/wedding-veils

3. wedding gloves
http://www.goodgoodschina.com/wedding-gloves

4. wedding petticoat
http://www.goodgoodschina.com/wedding-petticoat

5. wedding jewelry sets
http://www.goodgoodschina.com/wedding-jewelry

U Can also visit for to see the sample of thier dresses from this link
http://grandgowns.blogspot.com/search/label/Dress%20Samples

Any order placing issue, pls contact presale@grandgowns.com
If any aftersale issue, pls contact aftersale@grandgowns.com

Posted: Apr 28, 2012 6:04 AM Go to message in response to: Greg987

What are your gut instincts telling you to do? I think that you should do whatever that is. I'm sure that she'll love the ring the way that it is now and she'll love it if you tweak it a little too. Best wishes!

wixonjewelers Posts : 11 Registered: 6/6/12
Posted: Jun 6, 2012 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: nycnichole

Greg,

Wow, that's pretty exciting! It's always fun to find out something is worth more than you paid (especially 5x as much).

This is a tough predicament because as you mentioned, maybe she fell in love with the ring because it was one of the first ones she saw. Have you guys looked at many rings prior to that?

I do like your idea of giving her the ring and letting her decide, then if she wanted to trade "up" you both could design her dream ring.

Best of luck with the decision!

-Wixon Jewelers
Engagement Rings in Minneapolis | Bridal Jewelry in Minnesota

Janefreedom Posts : 6 Registered: 6/8/12
Posted: Jun 12, 2012 4:51 AM Go to message in response to: Greg987

I would say , don't change the ring. it 's not just ring, it's your love story.

quelee Posts : 19 Registered: 5/27/12
Posted: Jun 16, 2012 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: Greg987

just give it to her. she can change the style later

NiamhMaire Posts : 92 Registered: 6/7/12
Posted: Jun 21, 2012 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: Greg987

That's really exciting news. I think you should give her the ring as is, as you said "she fell in love with it". She will have the ring for a lifetime so there is really no rush if you want to alter it. Perhaps spend the money on insurance and if you girlfriend isn't happy with the ring now ,have it altered for your one year anniversary. There is nothing like deciding how you feel about something once you've worn it for a year.

I'm interested to know you decision so let us now.
Congrads.

Bing/a> |

lindsayhay Posts : 1 Registered: 7/18/12
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 9:00 AM Go to message in response to: Greg987

I recently got engaged to the love of my life but absolutely hated my ring. He discarded all the pictures I sent him and went the opposite direction because he liked it. Although he thought he did a great job, I was not happy with it. Luckily, my setting my crooked so when we took it in to get fixed, we started browsing and I fell in love with another setting. It was the style I always dreamed of even though the price tag was over $2k more than my original ring. He saw my expression when I tried it on and insisted I get it because he wanted me to be happy with what was on my finger for the rest of my life. So we had them reset my diamond and I now have the ring of my dreams. After feeling very guilty, I realized he loved the attention he got when people saw my new ring! Also, as an engagement gift to him ( to help compensate for the extra expense) I surprised him with a down payment for his new vehicle he had been longing for. Overall, I say speak up in a nice and non- offensive way because being unhappy with your ring after your fiance spent a good chunk of change on it is not fair to either of you.

Enchanted_Affairs Posts : 4 Registered: 8/1/12
Posted: Aug 5, 2012 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: Greg987

I say give it to her as is and let her know that any enhancements to the ring are not a problem. I think that she is going to be more than happy that you took the time and listened to her and went and got her the ring that she adored.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me that would be the thing most important. That my guy listened.

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 9:55 PM Go to message in response to: Greg987

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine