At a dead end....

Online Users: 1,358 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

nadine_hanth Posts : 6 Registered: 4/21/12
At a dead end....
Posted: Apr 23, 2012 6:02 AM

My fiances family and I have our difference and about a month ago, we got into a huge fight and stopped talking. They told my fiancÚ to end things with me, but my fiancÚ and I worked on our relationship. The problem I'm having is since the fight they have deleted me of FB which I don't care much about, but they post really mean comments about me on their page that I can access from my fiancÚ page. With the wedding being 9 months away I don't want drama and wanted to work things out with them yet I was pushed away. A few days ago my fiancÚ posted a status about me on fb and his family laughed about it and said really mean things about me. He told me I was reading too much into it. What is the best advice from others with dealing with in laws such as mine.

Edited by: nadine_hanth on Apr 23, 2012 3:16 AM

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Re: At a dead end....
Posted: Apr 25, 2012 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: nadine_hanth

Have you considered going away for your wedding and honeymoon? I have a young friend who had similar issues, but with her mother and the groom's brother (her ex-boy friend). They found the best solution was to go away to a resort community where they had both their ceremony and the honeymoon. They hired a photographer for an hour and that was it. The resort secured an officiant and flowers. When they returned and announced that they were married, his family stepped up and had a reception for them. Sometimes the best way to handle conflict is to distance yourself from it rather than allowing it to make you crazy.

nycnichole Posts : 27 Registered: 4/12/12
Posted: Apr 26, 2012 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: Syringa

I think that your future husband needs to have a conversation with his family. They should have enough respect for him alone to respect his choice for his life partner. You have every right to be upset about the facebook comments which sound catty and immature to me. Your feelings should not be dismissed as if you are reading too much into a situation. His family is being rude and childish period. Your future husband should speak with them and they should apologize to you for their behavior. If they do not then he should not have contact with his family on facebook or otherwise. He is going to be building his future with you and should stand by you and stand UP FOR YOU.

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: Apr 28, 2012 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: nycnichole

NYCnichole has a point. If your fiance won't stand up to his family now, they will continue to interfere in your lives until either he does or you move far enough away to create your own lives without them. He needs to take a pro-active stand, either for you or find a way to work through the issues, but not just ignore them.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine