already married

Online Users: 1,356 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

Leandra Posts : 3 Registered: 4/4/12
already married
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 12:10 PM

My husband and I got married in February of this year in a very intimate ceremony with only our immediate family. We couldn't afford the wedding we wanted because that's pricey. So we decided to have a "reception" in spring of 2013 because we will have saved money after paying some debts off.

The reception will be a picnic ish theme, nothing fancy, but like a backyard wedding...hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, etc. I would say almost all of them know we are married. We will be doing some sort of vow renewal without actually renewing our vows if that makes sense. We will just say to each other our own vows at the reception for all to hear, about our past, our married life so far, and what we look forward to in the future.
My dilemma is that we can't figure out how to word our invitations. Since its not really a renewal we don't want to say that. But since its not really a wedding we can't say that either. We were thinking about we wish for you to join us in the celebration of our marriage but something about that just doesnt seem very... etiquette friendly.
Help!

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Re: already married
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: Leandra

You are really inviting the people to a celebration of your 1st Anniversary. Once you realize that, you should be able to figure out how to word the invitations. I suspect it will be something like this:

Mr and Mrs. Married Couple invite you to join them as they celebrate their first year of marriage together at 2:00 PM in the backyard of 123 Main Street, Anywhere USA. Please RSVP by March 1, 2013.

Just as a side note, don't expect people to get you a gift. Some people might but they were not invited to the wedding when gifts would have been given. To many this is just a party and nothing more. Not only that, any mention of a registry or an expectation of a gift will cause your celebration to be seen as nothing more than a greedy way to get some gifts.

So far you seem to have the right approach by being honest about having already been married at a small ceremony. So make sure you carry along that honesty and people will be there to enjoy your company. In the long run, you'll be respected for doing it the right way.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Should I include anything about our precious ceremony? Like on February 22, 2012, husband and wife was united in love and in marriage by mister judge

Thank you for your input!! I never really thought of it like that, the whole celebrsting an anniversary.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: Leandra

Dear Leandra,

Consider it an anniversary party, period. There is no need to mention the date of the original wedding. The fact that you are celebrating an anniversary is a pretty good clue that you are already married.

Homer and Marge Simpson invite you to a backyard party in celebration of their first wedding anniversary.

Date, time, place.

As for repeating your vows in front of your family, just pause the party for a few minutes. Let some senior member of the family call for everyone's attention, then repeat the vows as you see appropriate. Five minutes, max. Then, back to the party.

I am glad you are not trying for some kind of fake wedding. You are celebrating your first anniversary, not reenacting some historical event.

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 5:31 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Thanks ! We really just want to get people together and have a good time. A lot of my extended family hasn't met his extended family. We don't expect gifts or anything like that. We've already received cards from most of the famiky. And we don't need registered since we have already been living together for over a year.
Also, a friend of mine suggested having a "honeymoon donation" since we didn't go on a honeymoon but I don't feel there is any good way to ask for money, and kind of tacky. But I like the idea.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 9:05 PM Go to message in response to: Leandra

Dear Leandra,

"Also, a friend of mine suggested having a "honeymoon donation" since we didn't go on a honeymoon but I don't feel there is any good way to ask for money, and kind of tacky."

Your instincts are correct. There is no good way to ask for money, and since you are already married, there's no good way to call it a "honeymoon donation".

Here's what you do, instead. Invite family and friends to an anniversary party.

Some will come with no gifts. Fine, great.

Some will come with modest gifts, such as a bottle of wine or gourmet chocolate. Fine, great, write a nice, sincere thank you note.

Some will give you money. Fine, great, write a nice sincere thank you note, then once the cash is in your hands, you can spend it how you like. If you decide to spend it on a belated honeymoon, great.

Some might come with elaborate "wedding" gifts. Fine, great, write a nice sincere thank you note.

If you are already planning a belated honeymoon, then just make your plans with whatever money you have in your possession now. If you end up with some more cash, then just spend it on some kind of upgraded room, dinner, activity, whatever you like. However, make your plans with what money you now possess. That way if no one gives you any cash, worst case scenario, you still have a nice belated honeymoon in the works.

nadine_hanth Posts : 6 Registered: 4/21/12
Posted: Apr 21, 2012 1:26 AM Go to message in response to: Leandra

We request your presence in celebrating our marriage on this day" something like that would be good since not everyone knows you are married. At the end of the day you are celebrating a marriage

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 6:51 AM Go to message in response to: Leandra

Big discount. any detail please visite to, http://www.juliebridalshop.com/

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine