MOB boyfriend

Online Users: 1,281 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

bgravert Posts : 1 Registered: 2/12/11
MOB boyfriend
Posted: Apr 1, 2012 10:40 PM

My parents have been separated for about 2 years but officially got divorced about 8 months ago. Since then, my mother has started dating someone. When I get married, they will have been dating for about 6 months.

Since my parent's actual divorce is still pretty new, would I be in the wrong to not invite my mom's new boyfriend? We get along and I don't have any problems with him, I think he's great for her, but I have no idea how my dad will react to him being there. I really don't want any drama at my wedding, especially not know how long their relationship will last.

Help! What's the proper etiquette for this? :/

jjjune Posts : 60 Registered: 1/6/12
Re: MOB boyfriend
Posted: Apr 1, 2012 11:52 PM Go to message in response to: bgravert

I'm of the mindset that not inviting your mother's SO would be pretty awful.

But I guess it depends on some factors. How's your parents' divorce? Is it friendly? Are either of your parents the type to make a scene?

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Apr 2, 2012 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: bgravert

As we've said on this forum time and again...

"No ring, no bring" Basically a couple does not have to be invited until there is a commitment to one another and the announcement to the world they are an established social unit. That is done by an engagement/wedding ring or in the case of same sex couples, what is legally allowed. In this case, there is no ring so you are not under obligation to invite him.

HOWEVER, this is your family we're talking about. In many cases formal rules of etiquette go out the window as these are the people who see you at your best and worst. For all you know by the time you get married, the problem will have resolved itself one way or another. Either your mom is engaged or they have broken up. However, you might need to have a frank discussion with both parents. You need to tell your mom, don't create a problem with dad at the wedding. You'll need to prepare dad for the possibility that mom will arrive with a date.

Another thing you'll need to think about is your dad's date. Do you expect him to come stag? He might have a relationship which develops by your wedding day or he could have somebody he's keeping quiet about because he's not ready to tell the family. Hopefully, everybody can act like adults and no cause drama on your wedding day.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Apr 3, 2012 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: bgravert

Dear BG,

I echo everything Howard said. He was spot on.

Futher suggest you talk it over with your dad. How can any of us know if he would be upset or not? Find a private moment where you and your dad can talk honestly.

"Dad, I need to talk to you about something."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine