Buying a wedding dress online. Need advice.

Online Users: 1,277 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19

florence1 Posts : 2 Registered: 2/25/12
Buying a wedding dress online. Need advice.
Posted: Feb 25, 2012 3:33 AM

I found a perfect wedding dress that I think is "the one." The only problem is it is online. The price is perfect, everything is perfect about it except I can't see it before buying it or try it on. Aggrr....What do I do? I really want this dress.
refer:http://www.dressz.com/a-line-elegant-luxurious-wedding-dress-with-high-covered-back-for-beach-destination-wedding-p6012.html

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Buying a wedding dress online. Need advice.
Posted: Feb 25, 2012 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: florence1

Dear Florence,

The problem with buying a dress online is that you have no recourse if something goes wrong. You are not a repeat customer, so the online dress store has no incentive to make you happy.

By contrast, a local bridal gown shop represents a repeat customer to the dress factory. The dress factory must make the local shop happy in order to keep repeat business. The local shop also has to make you happy, as you can refuse delivery if the dress is shoddy.

Here is what I suggest. Take all your info about the dream dress to a local bridal gown shop and ask what they might be able to do for you. If they can get the dress for you, great, you have some insurance that it will be done right. If they can't get the dress for you, then reconsider your options.

longdistancebri... Posts : 6 Registered: 2/23/12
Posted: Feb 25, 2012 6:38 PM Go to message in response to: florence1

Dear Florence,
I dont recommend buying a dress online, my best friend did that for prom and they sent her a dress that was a size 4 instead of the size 16 she ordered, and then refused to refund her money or allow her to return it. My suggestion is to take the dress to a consignment shop or a small business or even a davids bridal and see if they have something similar in store that you can see and try on, often times the smaller shops will let you haggle the price to get close to what you would be paying for the dress online.

florence1 Posts : 2 Registered: 2/25/12
Posted: Feb 27, 2012 2:51 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Dear A, i just found your words very reasonable, and i am condidering of your advice.
ordering online is a bit risky, besides i am not in full confident of this dress whether it fits me or not.
wish me good luck to find my dream dress!

Edited by: florence1 on Feb 27, 2012 2:52 AM

AmandaKing Posts : 15 Registered: 1/6/12
Posted: Feb 27, 2012 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: florence1

Ordering online can be a little scary, but there are some things you can do to make it better:

1. Give yourself plenty of time. Since you can't try on the dress until it's shipped to you and would need to ship it back before getting your refund, you need to have months before your wedding if you're going to order online.

2. Check and double check the return policy. Although Aunt says that you don't have any recourse if the dress doesn't work for you, this isn't always the case. Some online retailers have really great return policies. Just make sure you don't have to pay a restocking fee and see how much the return shipping would cost.

Eva8120 Posts : 5 Registered: 2/27/12
Posted: Feb 28, 2012 12:47 AM Go to message in response to: florence1

hum,it's hard to decide.some friends bought wedding dress, and these dress are perfect.However,someone not so lucky, the dress isn't suitable.
You'd better consider this online shop is good or not, the reputation, the dress, the service etc.
Hope you choose a good wedding dress.

dreamray33 Posts : 1 Registered: 10/7/07
Posted: Feb 28, 2012 9:52 AM Go to message in response to: florence1

I think buying a wedding dress online is a little sketchy... I think you may be selling yourself short- I can tell you that the dress that I though was 'the one' (that I found online) and went to try on in a store was sooooo NOT the one!! Online it looked beautiful, graceful and elegant. On me, it looked frumpy and cheap.

I strongly suggest you go try dresses on. It's one thing if you find the perfect dress in a store and then purchase it online, it's quite another thing to not know what you're getting...

I don't mean to be negative, but with wedding dresses, it is truly hard to know if the dress you're looking at online will look the same when you get it. Also, after trying on a bunch of dresses, you're total vision of what you want/what looks best on you may change!

I went from thinking I wanted cap sleeves, a sweetheart neckline, etc, to buying a halter, a-line, vneck dress that looked the most amazing on me!!! I would have never thought it's what I would end up with!

Best of luck :)

KellyLarson Posts : 7 Registered: 8/30/11
Posted: Mar 7, 2012 2:03 AM Go to message in response to: florence1

If you set on this wedding dress, I suggest you can go to bridal store to try similar styles on, sometimes you love the dress in pictures, but you may hate it when it on you.

Shopping online is a risky & trouble things as we all know, but we can deny it def help us get a big saving. So I think as long as you do your homework, then you'll be fine.

Like other poster said, giving yourself a plenty of time, and use google to search the review of the site, follow them on FB or TW, email or call them for any questions you may have,etc. Just make sure if they're reputable, dont rush to buy such important dress, it deserves you spend more time on research.

MayElleBridal Posts : 1 Registered: 3/7/12
Posted: Mar 7, 2012 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: florence1

Hi Florence,

I completely understand your frustration and fear in purchasing a gown online. However, I think I can help. please email me at s.saleking@gmail.com. I am starting my custom made dresses boutique and my prices are incredible! We can def make something like what you want for around the price you want it. We offer 100% money back guarantee and we are located in North Carolina.

Hope to hear from you and congrats!

Sara K

Edited by: MayElleBridal on Mar 7, 2012 12:16 PM

jjjune Posts : 60 Registered: 1/6/12
Posted: Mar 7, 2012 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: florence1

I would be very, very skeptical. Actually, I just wouldn't do it.

I bought my dress from David's Bridal. Online, they have tons of dresses from $99-in the thousands. I found a picture of one in the $200ish range that I loved, but when I tried it on it looked and felt cheap and yucky.

Why would you truct a picture for your wedding dress?

ratnadewi Posts : 3 Registered: 3/9/12
Posted: Mar 9, 2012 12:39 AM Go to message in response to: AmandaKing

true true. return policy is the first one need to consider before buying online product.
don't hurry to decide by just by look, ask them plenty question. and ask them to take photo without editing.

Bali Makeup and Wedding Link: http://ratnadewi.net

Alexia Posts : 4 Registered: 3/9/12
Posted: Mar 9, 2012 2:36 AM Go to message in response to: florence1

Hi, I am going to hold wedding next year. :)

I feel pressure because it is not easy to marry in American .The price for anything related to "wedding" soars up. We really need to save money in many sides. I don't think it isn't good to buy online. But you maybe need to see more reviews.

julia87 Posts : 4 Registered: 3/1/12
Posted: Mar 9, 2012 3:09 AM Go to message in response to: Alexia

Hi Florence, if I were you I would not buy a dress online. You have to try it on since with an online dress you'll never know if it fits exactly. Take your time and go into a real shop. You can buy many things online, like books, makeup, reliable bb cream, mobile phones, ipods and so on. BUT no wedding dress!

Edited by: julia87 on Mar 12, 2012 6:36 AM

Sakthidevi Posts : 3 Registered: 3/9/12
Posted: Mar 9, 2012 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: Eva8120

Hi friend,
i understand your hesitations. but i come across one of the best site of e-commerce is http://www.goodgoodschina.com.

In this site, there was more collections and also more unique designs with different color in one model was available for some nice dresses. The one of eye catching example of them is see this dress:

http://www.goodgoodschina.com/wholesale-a-line-wedding-dresses-gwbnd1981

How pretty white with several splits adds more beauty to this. and cut in "V" shape in neck is very nice. i recommend you this Goodgoodschinaonline for selecting your wedding dress. This will clear your deylama.

classydame Posts : 91 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 12, 2012 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: florence1
RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine