Friday afternoon wedding

Online Users: 1,330 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

npgirl21 Posts : 10 Registered: 8/22/11
Friday afternoon wedding
Posted: Jan 24, 2012 11:44 AM

So my fiance & I are wanting to do afriday wedding, but to have it happen in the early afternoon, starting about 12:30 and ending about 5ish. Now that I start to think about it, would that be rude to do? Alot of our guest are coming from out of town, and will already be offof work. Soit would just the the local guests that will have to take the day off. Any thoughts? Is anyone else doing a friday afternoon wedding?

Thanks-Amanda

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Re: Friday afternoon wedding
Posted: Jan 24, 2012 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: npgirl21

I would have a hard time attending a wedding at 12:30 on a Friday, whether it was in town or out of town. If your out of town guests have to travel more than a couple of hours, they'll have to come in on Thursday instead of Friday, which means an extra night in a hotel and possibly a half day off work Friday. If the wedding were later on Friday (say 5 or 6), they could travel in that day and still have time to get ready. Also, if I were attending a late Friday wedding, even if I had to travel during the day I could be available for conference calls or work issues that come up. Once the wedding starts I'd be out of pocket. At least in my profession (I'm an attorney) where people are expected to be available via phone or email during working hours, it's easier to justify being out of pocket between 5 and 10 PM on a Friday than between 12:30 and 6.

For local guests, a 12:30 Friday wedding means a full or half day off work. If they have kids that aren't invited, it's also probably more difficult to find a sitter on Friday afternoon (since most teens who babysit are probably in school).

Why are you starting things so early on Friday? Can you begin later? Also, given the timeline you've set out, I'm guessing you're planning a full ceremony and reception with food and music. To me, it would be sort of weird to be dancing to a DJ and drinking champagne at 3:00 pm. But maybe that's just me.

P.O.O.P. - People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

We are wanting a friday afternoon wedding to save money, there are no minimums. We also are not having any alcohol at all, weather it was a day or night wedding. We also just liked the idea of doing an friday afternoon wedding, and kids are invited to the wedding, I have a son. Also our wedding is more of a "party" than your normal wedding reception.

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Jan 24, 2012 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: npgirl21

As a guest, I would expect a wedding in the middle of the work day on a Friday to be less of a party than a normal wedding, not more of a party.

If it's possible to do it later on a Friday I think that would be much more considerate for your guests. But if you simply can't afford it than you should go ahead with your plans. Just don't be surprised or offended if a bunch the people you've invited - local or out of town - aren't able to come.

P.O.O.P. - People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

We understand that not everyone would be able to come, but our out of town guest are coming from NY to Ohio, and are already aware of the friday wedding, just not time. Plus we know that no matter what a few of our guest work on fridays and saturdays, plus no matter what day theres always people that can't make it. Also when I said our wedding reception was more like a "party" I didnt mean an actual party, its just not a sit down lunch, were having stations, and things like that. But I do understand what you are saying, and we are discussing things.

AmandaKing Posts : 15 Registered: 1/6/12
Posted: Jan 24, 2012 9:19 PM Go to message in response to: npgirl21

It's true that some people will always have conflicts, but maybe a slightly later time would make it a bit more convenient? If your out of town guests are already planning on coming in on Thursday, though, I don't see that it would be a problem if they make up the bulk of the guests. You can typically still save money with a Friday evening wedding, too, though, if that would work out better for some of your guests.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 25, 2012 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: npgirl21

Dear NP,

You can have your wedding at any time you like, so long as you don't throw a fit when someone declines due to an inconvenient time.

Send out your invitations. People will decide for themselves if they can come or not.

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: Jan 26, 2012 9:03 AM Go to message in response to: npgirl21

I agree with Aunt. It is your wedding and you can have it any day and time you choose. As a wedding planner, I have had weddings on Fridays, Thursdays and even Tuesdays. Those coming from out of town are coming to celebrate with you regardless of the time. It is the local guests who may not be able to attend because of work commitments. Plus, if your wedding is not in the summer, children will be in school.

Do what works best for you.

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: Syringa

Thanks, we are just going for what we want and figure if they really want to be there to celebrate with us, they will be there no matter what day. Also most of the kids that are coming are younger theres only a few that are will be i school.

ModBride Posts : 9 Registered: 11/29/11
Posted: Jan 27, 2012 10:37 AM Go to message in response to: npgirl21

CONGRATS!

I say its your day and you and your fiance do whats best withing your budget and your interest.

I do not agree with all this etiquette as I strongly believe and feel those closets to you will make any and all effort to join you both on your special day whether it is DAY or NIGHT!

We too are considering an afternoon wedding option for a Saturday or a Friday Evening but thats our preference.

Have a lovely day Bride to BE!!!!

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 11:56 AM Go to message in response to: ModBride

Ladies,

Remember, that there could be people who TRULY love you and are TRULY close to you and TRULY wish to be there, but just cannot.

This will be true no matter what day you pick. Because so many people work M-F schedules, and because getting time off of work can be problematic, you will have lower attendance on Friday than you would on a Saturday wedding.

It has nothing to do with the person's love and affection for you, but everything to do with earning a living and wishing to remain employed.

Geeky Posts : 10 Registered: 7/29/11
Posted: Jan 28, 2012 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I would find it to be rather difficult to attend a wedding on a Friday afternoon. I would have to leave work early or take the day off, make arrangements for my children to leave school early or arrange for someone to pick them up and watch them and then my future husband would have to leave work early too. It would be very difficult for him to leave work early or take a Friday off.

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

ModBride Posts : 9 Registered: 11/29/11
Posted: Jan 28, 2012 7:16 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Correct...but there are also many people who work weekends as well...and with the fact that weddings are usually booked well in advance that those who plan to attend will make sure they can make arrangement at work....besides MOST jobs allow PTO and if NOT its one day....The Bride/Groom should not base their day on someone's work/life schedule....things happen, nexpected things come etc...in the event a loved one cant make it I am sure the B&G will understand.

Bottom line, there is NO perfect time everyone invited...do what works best with your lifestyle, not everyone else's.

I don't intend to come off rude or offend anyone but really c'mon there are 7 days a week and even though most pple work weekdays, what about on call shifts and 3rd shift and weekend workers, etc....??? its almost impossible to please everyone.

Posted: Jan 29, 2012 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: ModBride

Dear Mod,

Exactly what I said before. Choose the day that works best for you, understanding there will be people who can't be there on that date, for whatever reason.

It's just that more people work on a Friday than on a Saturday. That's a fact, so you will have a few more declines on Friday for that reason.

The couple, no matter what, should just pick a date, run it past Grandma, Mom and Dad, then go for it.

The people who are willing and able to come will come. Those who still truly love you and truly want to be there, but cannot, will have to decline. That's just "life".

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine