Elegant way to have other contribute to flowers for my wedding!

Online Users: 1,291 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

Mols Posts : 5 Registered: 11/2/11
Elegant way to have other contribute to flowers for my wedding!
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:34 PM

I am getting married next May in the Los Angeles area. While on theknot.com I went under gift registry reviewing all the gift registries and came across Cashen Bridal Account. This site is free and allows me to setup an account and invites people to gift towards the flowers (and decorations as well) as a wedding gift. What a great idea!!! I was wondering how I could afford the cala lilies that I want in all my bouquets and table arrangements. Many of my family members live so far away and won't be able to attend. I was able to create a facebook acount from there and send e-mails to everyone I wanted to invite to contribute. I was shocked how many of my family and friends contributed to the account so far. I can continue to invite people. This site appears to be the only one of it's kind, but what an perfect solution to me having to worry about paying for this all on my own!

My Aunt lives in Nevada and won't be attending and she loved the idea. She can't visit, but when she gifted towards this, she told me what a great idea, she knew she could not be there, but what better way for her to feel like she would be there than being part of the whole wedding day through the flowers and decorations!

Maybe not a great idea for everyone, but like I said, I was shocked!!!! It's not a direct ask for cash, but an easy way and like I said elegant way to ask. I love it!!!! One less thing to worry about now! Oh, and the site will personalize the thankyou cards for me to send to those who contributed to the account! Check it out!!!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Elegant way to have other contribute to flowers for my wedding!
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: Mols

Dear Mols,

It's a tacky cash registry no matter how you slice it.

Why not stand at the freeway on ramp with a cardboard sign ("Can't Afford Wedding Flowers") and a bucket to collect people's spare change?

Posted: Nov 2, 2011 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

As i said, not for everyone. It gave family & friend something new & unique to gift to and they seem to like it. thats the great thing about this country, we have choices!

KaitheyMartin Posts : 10 Registered: 9/13/11
Posted: Nov 7, 2011 7:16 AM Go to message in response to: Mols

Well I agree that it;s can be a great idea for some and not a great ideas for some but in my opinion itís good that people offer financial help themselves without asking them to in any way......And if you really can not afford or want to save some money there are other better options also available to do that like use only petals for decoration or avoid flowers and use non floral decoration or more over you can always use silk flowers for the decoration....they look stunning and donít cost you the earth....And you can even sell them afterwords also to save money....But I would appreciate your concern also that you share this information with us for those who really like this idea.....

ronaldhelre Posts : 6 Registered: 9/19/11
Posted: Nov 8, 2011 3:33 AM Go to message in response to: Mols

Such a wonderful idea!! And a great way to use up scraps. Iíve been relying on making this flowers for my wedding with real flowers,these are better. Thank you!

Posted: Nov 9, 2011 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: KaitheyMartin

I love the idea of the petals! Silk, just don't do it for me and silk seems to be as expensive as fresh, at least the nice silk. The site also put me in touch with a local florist that offered me a 5% discount because I was registred with this site. My decorator was not on this site and because I got them to sign up, Cashen Bridal Account will put $50 in my account for getting my decorator to signed up on their site as a participating vendor.

I was wondering how my family would take it when the site emailed them that I am signed up there, but like I said, my Aunt loved the idea and she wanted to do something special for me and just did not know what. When she looked into this, she just knew this was what she wanted to do. She felt so bad she could not come and wanted to be there. She said a gift on the table or $ just would be put aside until after. This way she felt as if she would be there as part of the ceremony! When she gifted, the site allowed her to e-mail me this and I wont go into details, but she brought tears to my eyes because she knew she would be there in spirit! Sorry, I don't mean to sound sensitive....

Anyways, I am going to use the petals on the tables I think, great idea!!!

kikicoco Posts : 28 Registered: 11/6/11
Posted: Nov 9, 2011 10:49 PM Go to message in response to: Mols

Great idea! I love it

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Jan 27, 2012 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: Mols

I think this is the tackiest registry I've ever heard a bride suggest on these boards. When you invite people to a party, you host the party. You don't ask them to pay for the party. I'm having a superbowl party next weekend - should my husband and I go ahead and send out an email and tell guests they can send us cash in advance to help pay for the food and beer? Maybe I could also tell them that I'd like everyone to show up 2 hours early to help me cook and to stay 30 minutes after to help me clean up.

It's even worse that you're having people contribute to the party with cash, instead of a dish or something like that. If you have a potluck (which I think would be inappropriate for a wedding), your guests at least get to pick what to bring. You're asking your guests to just give you cash so that you can then buy whatever you want for the party. What if you have a guest who hates calla lilies? What if a guest thinks your color scheme is horrific? Do they want their hard earned money to be used to pay for something they hate? Probably not.

P.O.O.P. - People Offended by Offended People

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 27, 2012 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: Mols

Dear Coco,

"Everyone knows that weddings are expensive, and I think most people can understand why you would ask for a contribution to the event instead of a traditional gift. "

I understand perfectly why someone would come to me asking for cash: Greed.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine