Can I have a Male maid of honor?

Online Users: 1,314 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

SurferBride Posts : 1 Registered: 1/14/12
Can I have a Male maid of honor?
Posted: Jan 14, 2012 1:17 PM

Hi Brides :)

I don't really have any female close friends, I don't know why but I have never been close to women. My best friend is a guy who I have known since school - we have been friends for 16 years and I would dearly love him to be my maid of honor. When I think about planning my wedding and having someone to help and support me the is no one I would rather have than him.

Is it possible to have a guy be my maid of honor? Would love to hear your opinions on this and if it is acceptable or not. Are the any other brides who are in a simillar situation? - obviously I wouldn't make him wear a dress or anything silly like that I just want him stood next to me on my big day.

If I can have him as my maid of honor I would only have him and my sister (who I don't get on with) as my bridesmaids.

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Re: Can I have a Male maid of honor?
Posted: Jan 14, 2012 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: SurferBride

Of course you can. He would wear something similar to the groomsmen, but sit on your side. This is actually becoming quite common.

P.O.O.P. - People Offended by Offended People

jjjune Posts : 60 Registered: 1/6/12
Posted: Jan 14, 2012 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: SurferBride

Of course! One of the 3 people on my side is a guy. He's going to dress like a groomsman, but stand on my side with my MOH and BM. We're just trying to think of a good title for him. Bridesdude and Maid of Dishonor are all we've come up with. ;)

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 14, 2012 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: SurferBride

Absolutely!! I was a Groomswoman in a wedding and he had a BestWoman for his Best Man. She had two BridesMen for her and her cousin was her Maid of Honor!

Have fun! The most important thing is to have people stand up with you who will support you in your marriage!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 14, 2012 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: SurferBride

Dear SB,

Sure. Go for it.

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Jan 17, 2012 1:41 AM Go to message in response to: SurferBride

We had my son as "dude of honor." (That was the title he made up; I believe such a person is normally called a "man of honor.") It worked splendidly. Our only other attendant was the maid of honor. One of the advantages was that we did not have to worry about having everyone match, and could just tell each of them to wear something nice they already owned.

The one minor glitch was when we said that we would like the attendants to arrange our trains, my son looked panicky and said, "Mom, have you ever seen how I make my bed?" To which NotFroofy's response was, "Actually, I don't think we ever have seen you make your bed." But we just got a friend to arrange NotFroofy's train while the maid of honor arranged mine. With a little flexibility, this can all work.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: Jan 18, 2012 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: jjjune

Having a guy stand on the bride's side or a girl stand on the groom's side is great. Generally, when that occurs, the titles "maid of honor," "best man," and "bridesmaid" are replaced with the terms "bride's honor attendant" for the male MOH, "groom's honor attendant" for the BM and simply "bride's attendant" or groom's attendant" for the bridesmaids and groomsmen.

JULIEMOH Posts : 5 Registered: 1/30/12
Posted: Jan 30, 2012 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: SurferBride

One of my closests friends had a "Man of Honor" at her wedding. They were friends since they were 5 years old...it was only natural for him to take that role in her wedding.

Go for it!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine