Anyone else losing friends?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

loulan531 Posts : 31 Registered: 12/1/11
Anyone else losing friends?
Posted: Jan 6, 2012 8:48 PM

I have a friend who has worked in a flower shop for years and always wanted to open her own shop. When it came time to order flowers I took her with me, picked out all the flowers, and signed a contract with a florist she recommended. I was happy!

I get a call over the weekend that she has finally been able to open her own flower shop. Can anyone see where this is going? She wants her first job to be my wedding. I reminded her that I signed a contract and I was very happy with the florist that she and I went to see. The next time I needed flowers I would be going to her.

She is livid! Tells me how a TRUE friend would help out another friend. I even tried to explain that had she told me she was about to open her own shop I would have waited before I signed any contract. I told her that I didn't want to break the contract because I do not think it's fair to the florist because I wouldn't want them to do that to me.

Now she wont talk to me. Oh well! I can't believe some people!

DJ1605 Posts : 11 Registered: 1/6/12
Re: Anyone else losing friends?
Posted: Jan 6, 2012 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: loulan531

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Real friends support your decisions and encourage you to follow your commitments specially when is a contract and there's money involved. I would have said to include her by doing any church or ceremony floral arrangements, but because she has placed you in such an uncomfortable and umpleassantr position because of her own agenda, then she can find her business and friends elsewhere. I say focus on your big day and focus on the people that love you and will be there for you. I know is hard because you appreciate it the person as a friend, but sometimes life puts us in situations like that to realize who is who. Godo luck and remember is all about YOU :)

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 7, 2012 9:21 AM Go to message in response to: loulan531

Dear Lou,

"She is livid! Tells me how a TRUE friend would help out another friend"

And a TRUE friend would not put another friend on the spot like that. Stick with your original florist.

Posted: Jan 8, 2012 9:46 PM Go to message in response to: loulan531

Dear Aunt and DJ, thank you so much, I am not sure why it went so wrong so fast. I sent her an email about some arrangements I will be needing for valentines. I wasn't really planning on buying flowers for valentine's but I like jackie's idea(order some flowers from her). I really don't want to lose her as a friend over flowers and maybe that will smooth things over.
thank you.

Edited by: loulan531 on Jan 8, 2012 9:53 PM

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 1:08 AM Go to message in response to: loulan531

Dear Lou,

Anyone who engages a newly established vendor for something as important as a wedding ought to have her head examined. Your friend has no track record, no reputation and no guarantee the wedding flowers will be as you expect.

That's all the reason to stick with your current florist.

In general, when you give your business to a newly-established business, you are taking a chance. Best to take that chance in a situation where there is little repercussions if the vendor totally flubs it up. (Hint: not your wedding.)

The order for Valentine flowers is a good idea. Place a small order and see if it is fulfilled promptly, properly and cheerfully. If so, great, give her future business and recommend her to friends. If not, then vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

Posted: Jan 9, 2012 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Dear aunt, thank you so much for your help!

NicoleBride Posts : 6 Registered: 2/26/12
Posted: Feb 26, 2012 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: loulan531

First off,I'm so sorry to hear what happened between your friend & you. And I totally agreed with what the first poster said,
'sometimes life puts us in situations like that to realize who is who'
I would say stick with your original decision, and your friend will not be a good vendor cuz she'll easily break her words to her customers like she asked you to do. And she's not a really TRUE friend for you. If I were you, I wont order any flowers which i don't need just to flatter her.

julia87 Posts : 4 Registered: 3/1/12
Posted: Mar 2, 2012 3:43 AM Go to message in response to: loulan531

Hi,

well it is probably an uncomfortable situation which you are in. But you should not take the blame here. If she wants to be a professional florist, she has to respect the contract rules. No matter if they are good for her or not. So go your own way with this. Maybe she's just stressed out about her own situation. Starting a business is risky after all.
Good luck! J

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine