re: Cant afford a bridal shower, so i am opting for a day at the spa

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

ENortey Posts : 4 Registered: 8/31/11
re: Cant afford a bridal shower, so i am opting for a day at the spa
Posted: Oct 9, 2011 12:34 PM

Dont have enough money for bridal shower so my bridesmaids and i are planning to go to a nice restaurant to eat or a day at the spa....any suggestions?

BrittanyHeller Posts : 18 Registered: 10/11/11
Re: re: Cant afford a bridal shower, so i am opting for a day at the spa
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: ENortey

I think that's a great idea. Valdi Spa is great. You should look into this spa for your bridal shower!

ModBride Posts : 9 Registered: 11/29/11
Time frame for Bridal Shower?
Posted: Jan 5, 2012 9:33 AM Go to message in response to: ENortey

My wedding is expected in April 2013 and since the holidays and new year fill the spots before the big day, my family wants to throw my shower 8 months out, this year....

Has anyone heard of this or is this bizarre?

I have been in many weddings...2 more this year and another one that I am attending and none of them have been more than 3 months out....

suggestions/ideas?

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Time frame for Bridal Shower?
Posted: Jan 5, 2012 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: ModBride

Dear MB,

There is a problem with a shower so far in advance of W-Day.

Gift return.

When a couple receives wedding gifts, they are supposed to open the gift, exclaim about how wonderful the gift is, leave it in its original packaging, write a prompt thank you note, then keep it until W-Day. Only after they are actually married may they open the gift and put it to use.

Why not use it right away? Because if the engagement is broken, they are supposed to return the gifts to the givers, who then can take their gifts back to the stores for a refund. The gift-giver has to save the purchase receipt for that purpose.

Returning an item for a refund 8 months after it was purchased is almost impossible. Most stores have a 90 day return policy. Eight months later, the store's stock has changed, colors are made obsolete or the item looks "shopworn" from a long storage. Besides, the gift-giver could easily lose a receipt over that long period of time. The gift-giver becomes, essentially, stuck with a gift they bought for someone else and has little use in their own home.

If your wedding is in April, why not have the shower in March? My own birthday is in March, and I've never felt my birthday celebration is crowded out by the holidays.

jjjune Posts : 60 Registered: 1/6/12
Posted: Jan 13, 2012 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: ENortey

I know this is old, but...

How do your finances play into the shower? Isn't it hosting it a gift from someone to you?

One of the traditional etiquette things I agree with is that women don't throw their own showers. A shower is essentially a gift giving event. Throwing your own is like saying "come give me stuff!" Someone else throwing it is like saying "let's get together and give ENortey stuff!" Much nicer. :)

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 13, 2012 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: jjjune

Dear JJ

"One of the traditional etiquette things I agree with is that women don't throw their own showers."

Exactly true, for just the reasons you stated.

I took the OP to mean that the shower hostess is on a limited budget.

Besides, even is the shower is hosted by someone else doesn't mean the honoree can't "silently" participate in the funding. That would be between the hostess and honoree.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Dec 5, 2012 7:18 AM Go to message in response to: ENortey

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 4913 is just $449.99.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: ENortey

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 4965 is just $469.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine