Groom's Family Insists Cousin Does My Hair HELP!

Online Users: 1,300 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 26

FutureMrsRacheau Posts : 2 Registered: 5/27/11
Groom's Family Insists Cousin Does My Hair HELP!
Posted: May 27, 2011 2:22 PM

I have been using the same hair stylist since I was 9-years-old. I love the way she does my hair and she knows what I like. She did my hair for both my highschool and college graduation pictures and I was planning on having her do it for my wedding.

The problem is my fiance's cousin recently graduated from Cosmetology school, and now his family is insisting that she do my hair and makeup. Her sense of style is no where near what mine is, and I have heard his mother and other members of the family say that they did not like the way she has cut their hair. She also tends to go in and out of the family, one minute she loves everyone and the next, she wants nothing to do with them. So I am not sure she will even be around for the wedding.

I would be alot more comfortable with my stylist, but how do I tell his family and the cousin that? Or do I just suck it up, let the cousin do it and just pray I don't look like a train-wreck?

I would love feedback on this. Thanks!

DeniseRose Posts : 40 Registered: 5/10/11
Re: Groom's Family Insists Cousin Does My Hair HELP!
Posted: May 27, 2011 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

Just say, "no thank you, I already asked someone else." then change the subject.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 27, 2011 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

I'm with DeniseRose. Don't even offer up more reasons. Just say No thank you and move on....

Good luck!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: May 27, 2011 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

Dear Mrs R,

Increasing levels of assertiveness:

"Thank you for the suggestion, but I have already decided to ask my current stylist to do my hair."

"I really appreciate your interest, but I already have a stylist and have asked her to do my hair."

"Maybe you don't remember our conversation about hair stylists, but I did mention that I already have a stylist and I am quite happy with her."

"For the 10th time, I already have a stylist and will not be engaging the cousin."

"I really do not understand why we have to have this conversation over and over."

"This is getting annoying."

"Buzz off."

camilia Posts : 1 Registered: 5/29/11
Posted: May 29, 2011 5:00 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

hi,

I am new to the forum this is my first post actually :-)

But yes totally agree with everyone on this just say "no thank you, i have already got it planned"

I don't really know what else you could do apart from let her do your hair and makeup lol

Hope you get it soted out though :-)

Camilia loving her BF Tom and always will. In the process of planning the big day. Bride wedding speeches

Judy999 Posts : 3 Registered: 6/2/11
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 1:06 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

Just tell them your true feeling and idea, anyway this is your wedding----your once in life wedding!!!

MariaPearce Posts : 20 Registered: 10/11/11
Posted: Nov 9, 2011 10:36 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

DO NOT LET HER DO YOUR HAIR!!! She just graduated from cosmetology school, so she is not going to have a lot of experience. For something as special as your wedding day, you absolutely need a professional to do your hair to make sure it's perfect and you don't wind up with a hair disaster. Tell her you would feel more comfortable going with someone you know does your hair fabulous and that you can't risk not having it done exactly the way you want.

CCasey Posts : 1 Registered: 6/7/11
Posted: Nov 14, 2011 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

I'm right there with you - just went through a similar situation myself.

1. Put your foot down - it's YOUR wedding day. Do not give in to make others feel better on YOUR day.

2. I've been going to my stylist since my first haircut at 14 months (was her first client). I told my future mother-in-law I already had someone lined up. Well, that turned into the cousin coming up to me in person and asking why she wasn't doing my hair. Best piece of advice - tell the cousin in person yourself. Don't let anyone else relay for you. If she fights you on it and tries to make you cave in, just be firm and tell her - No. It's already been decided.

3. If she, or anyone else for that matter, has to be involved in some way - have them do a remedial task that if they don't end up following through or messing it up it's no big deal. From the Midwest, we're doing our family's traditional Italian cookie table so icing cookies it is for those aunts and cousins that HAVE to do something.

GraceKelly Posts : 15 Registered: 10/7/11
Posted: Nov 23, 2011 6:07 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

You just have to say 'no'. It's your wedding, not hers, after all!

Maybe if you want to compromise without having to compromise on YOU, you can suggest she do the bridesmaids hair?

Shannon1987 Posts : 3 Registered: 12/15/11
Posted: Dec 19, 2011 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

I agree with everyone about having your stylets do your hair and saying that it has already been arranged but if his family still gives you greef over it then maybe ask her to do your hair for the reception dinner? That way she will not cut nor color it and worse case you have to wash her hairdo out and revert to your own personal style

johanbarry Posts : 2 Registered: 3/30/12
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRacheau

Well Certainly My advice to you is that you should avoid this kind of conversation with her and change the subject every time. Say No thank you to her that you already have a stylist for your needs. I am sure you do not want any trouble with messy things happening around.

Lantlig Inredning

johanbarry Posts : 2 Registered: 3/30/12
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

This is gonna help a lot :) I mean these words will put that lady to shut her mouth towards Mrs. R. so good words without getting hyper.

Lantlig Inredning

garycarnay02 Posts : 3 Registered: 4/6/12
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 7:29 AM Go to message in response to: johanbarry

You're very right about it.

Edited by: garycarnay02 on Jul 28, 2012 6:52 AM

Edited by: garycarnay02 on Jan 16, 2014 5:08 AM

mattmactavish Posts : 5 Registered: 4/13/12
Posted: Apr 13, 2012 2:48 AM Go to message in response to: johanbarry

I agree with you. One shouldn't be that sticky to other person matters. And after all Saying "No Thank You" is Fine.

Centre de Données | Centre de Colocation

joshdebruijn Posts : 6 Registered: 4/17/12
Posted: May 30, 2012 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: mattmactavish

I agree on this point. No one have the right to interfere in any one's life.

For the Best Digital Marketing Agency.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine