To tell in person or via phone call

Online Users: 1,260 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

sandiegosarah Posts : 1 Registered: 11/13/11
To tell in person or via phone call
Posted: Nov 13, 2011 5:33 PM

So first I must preference it that I'm just a hair early with this question, but it is only a hair. Just this week I opened an extended warranty policy that came in the mail to our place, for an item purchased at the jewelry store where I had picked out "my ring". And next week, we are going away for a nice weekend for my birthday in nearby wine country. You can put the dots together, I have.

I had to get that disclaimer out of the way. It is a little easier to focus on questions like the one I will eventually get to, than focus on the waiting.

My question is: how did you tell people, over the phone or in person? My family lives a couple hours away, but I know I'll see them approximately a month after my predicted proposal date. Would it be better to wait until I see my family and Christmas time or should I call them right away?

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: To tell in person or via phone call
Posted: Nov 13, 2011 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: sandiegosarah

Dear Sandie,

It all depends on the family dynamics.

Personally, as a mother, I would rather hear sooner with a phone call rather than later with a in-person visit.

TinavonK Posts : 1 Registered: 11/9/11
Posted: Nov 14, 2011 3:25 PM Go to message in response to: sandiegosarah

Unfortunately, my entire family and most of my friends are 3,000+ miles away, so I ended up doing it with a phone call to most people. We'll be sending a handful of physical 'we're engaged' announcements with our Christmas cards (our wedding is at least 2-3 years out, so no save-the-date, yet!)

Do what ever feels right, but I agree with a phone sooner rather than in person later.

KaitheyMartin Posts : 10 Registered: 9/13/11
Posted: Nov 16, 2011 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: sandiegosarah

It would depend on the family relationships..........Like I would like to inform my parent, my sister and one of my cousin as soon as we decide to getting married........And no matter it is over phone or what.....

But to other family members or friends it would be OK for me to inform them later on phone call or personally......But to family it would be better if you tell them soon over phone........

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I told my family in person the day after. I wanted to call them that night, but we were in Vegas and I didn't think anyone wanted a 2am phone call. One of my friends had a feeling she should call me not too long after it happened, she honestly had no idea so when I picked up she thought I was BSing, LOL. His family already knew because he told them what his plans were. As for the rest of my closer friends, 2 of them already knew because they were in on the surprise, and one of them I waited to tell her in person because I was going to see her in a couple of days anyways. If I wasn't able to see my friends and family right away, I would've called them.

Andrea_May2013_... Posts : 4 Registered: 11/21/11
Posted: Nov 21, 2011 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: sandiegosarah

I had a really long post at first then decided since I didnt actually answer your question at all that I should downsize a bit.

We told my parents in person but because he proposed on a trip they were not surprised. As a matter of fact my mom was taking bets with my Aunts and grandma about whether or not I would come home engaged. They didnt ask about how he did it or anything. Mom remembered halfway through dinner that there may be a story to the proposal. It was lacking all the excitement i was hoping for. She didn't even get a good look at my ring until just the other day. (We have been engaged a little more than 3 months.) My younger sister was there when he did it so she knew, and my older sister was recovering from some of her perscription anxiety meds so she wasn't even really hearing me.

We called all of his family and told them over the phone. His sisters were very very excited and asked all the right things about details. His mom's reaction goes down in history. (again, over the phone)..

FH: "Where are you"
FMIL: "At Mamaws"
FH: "Where's Dad?"
FMIL: "picking up the girls?"
FH: "are you guys going to be at home at all today?"
FMIL: "Not until late tonight, what do you need?"
FH: "Nothin'... I wanted to talk to you guys but I wanted to wait until you were together"
FMIL: "well.. "
FH: "Aw, screw it. Mom, we're getting married!"
FMIL: "WHY?!"
..... omg i was so shocked! I thought she liked me!!
FH: "um because we love each other and we want to?"
FMIL: "Well don't you want to wait until your families can be there?!"
FH: "OMG MOM! We're not doing it NOW! We're going to wait until Spring!"

hahahah it will be one of our favorite stories. :)

Edited by: Andrea_May2013_Bride on Nov 21, 2011 9:51 PM

Edited by: Andrea_May2013_Bride on Nov 21, 2011 9:55 PM

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Heidib17 Posts : 7 Registered: 12/18/11
Posted: Dec 18, 2011 11:39 PM Go to message in response to: sandiegosarah

I told my parents and siblings in person because we all live in the same city. I called the rest of my relatives and told them because I was too anxious to wait to visit everyone separately. We got engaged on December 3rd and there was also no way I could wait until Christmas to tell them all in person. I think people would rather know ASAP than waiting until the next time you see them.

happychloe Posts : 21 Registered: 8/11/11
Posted: Dec 22, 2011 12:16 AM Go to message in response to: Heidib17

I would like to te informed by a phone rather than a visite!

Janefreedom Posts : 6 Registered: 6/8/12
Posted: Jun 12, 2012 4:54 AM Go to message in response to: sandiegosarah

a call first, and a visit soon after.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine