IEnglish/Spanish wedding

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

lily77071989 Posts : 2 Registered: 10/16/11
IEnglish/Spanish wedding
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 2:45 AM

ok so my soon to be husbands family is dominican and speaks Spanish majority of the time. And my FMIL and FFIL speak only a little English. My family is Mexican American and African American but none of my family that is attending speak much Spanish. When I told my mother of wanting to do the ceremony in English and Spanish she was upset. She told me I should only do it in English because thats what she wants. How do I make her understand that I want a English/Spanish ceremony with out upsetting her? And let her know that even though she doesnt like spanish music I want a dj that plays both American and Latin music? I need help because I dont want my in-laws to feel left out of any part of the ceremony but I also want to make my mother happy. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Edited by: lily77071989 on Oct 16, 2011 2:45 AM

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Re: IEnglish/Spanish wedding
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 9:51 AM Go to message in response to: lily77071989

Dear Lily,

it is your and your future husband's wedding, therefore what you two want for it is important, not what your mother wants.

I am of the opinion that parents have no right to dictate how their children have to organize their wedding(s).

So even if her wish were legitimate (i.e. comprehensible) it would be completely your decision to go with her wish or not.

But I think it is childish to be upset because the ceremony is in two instead of just one language. And it's rude towards your in-laws.

I should probably add that where I am from, parents don't get a say in the planning of their children's wedding just because they pay some or all of it. And I think that's rightly so. My parents paid most of our wedding and I happily shared details and asked advice etc. But I and my husband had the last word in any decision. Within the budget of course.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: lily77071989

Dear Lily,

It can be done. I've seen it done.

My European-American cousin married a Mexican-American man. Their wedding ceremony was bilingual. They did not repeat everything. Instead, one part was in Spanish, the next part in English.

The bride said her vows in English, then the groom said his vows in Spanish.

It was beautiful. I speak both languages, and could follow along easily. My husband speaks only English. After the ceremony, he told me he could follow along without too much trouble.

You can always print the entire wedding liturgy in a program, English on one side of the page and Spanish on the other, just to help people follow along.

Go for it.

Tell Mom she's all wet.

lily77071989 Posts : 2 Registered: 10/16/11
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 10:57 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

thank you that is actually an amazing idea... i am going to talk to him about it. thanks again for all inputs it helped out a lot

canadianmusicia... Posts : 6 Registered: 1/23/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2011 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

My fiancÚ and I are living trilingually (English, Spanish, French), and we will be having all of those languages represented in our ceremony. We'll simply print translations of things in the programme, so that everyone feels comfortable and can follow along.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine