Photographer (Friend) Bailed :(

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

aea1 Posts : 27 Registered: 10/10/10
Photographer (Friend) Bailed :(
Posted: Sep 18, 2011 10:49 PM

My fiance and I have a photographer friend (she actually helped introduce us) whom we've known for 3 years. She is a fantastic photographer. It only felt right that she should be the one to take our engagement photos. We asked her earlier this summer to take our photos and agreed that we would do it when we were all back on campus (we're college seniors) in Aug.
We had a tough time scheduling a session when the time came. She only takes one class on campus this semester, a Monday night class, so she lives at home in KC and is only in our town once a week for her class.
Needless to say, we had a hard time scheduling a session. For the longest time, it was because she couldn't find a lighting assistant, but now she just sent us a Facebook msg that she will not be able to devote as much time to us as she wanted because of her new job in KC. She suggested 3 photography students who might be able to do the session any time since they live on campus, but I'm reluctant to ask them or a professional photographer. I'm afraid we won't get a cheaper price than Emily was going to give us nor the flexibility ($100 for 2 hrs outdoor session, up to 3 outfit changes, AND a CD with rights to print).
I understand that it's just not a good time for her, but I can't help being disappointed. And I'm really not sure what to do now.
I'm not sure if I'm asking for advice or just venting.
Any thoughts are welcome.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Re: Photographer (Friend) Bailed :(
Posted: Sep 19, 2011 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: aea1

Hello,

Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding. While your situation is unfortunate I can't help but point out better you found out for the engagement session and not a couple of weeks before your wedding. Once again, just last Thursday, I received a call for a Saturday wedding where the friend photographer bailed. Unfortunately, if you had been using a photographer who makes a living at photography they would have had more at stake and been less willing to cancel the session.

As I type this out, I do have one possible suggestion for you. That is, you and your FH can travel to your friend's location for your engagement session. I'm not sure how easy that can be accomplished but it may provide a bit more flexibility than waiting for the friend to be available where you live.

Finally, when the time comes to plan your wedding, you should seriously consider the best photographer you can afford. You've already seen what can happen when you depend on somebody who is not a professional photographer and is not in the business. Students and friends are not likely to take the responsibility of photographing your wedding as seriously as you'd like them to. If good wedding photos are important to you, then I seriously suggest you plan on spending the money for a professional photographer.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

aea1 Posts : 27 Registered: 10/10/10
Posted: Sep 19, 2011 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Thank you, Howard.

We had always planned on using a professional photographer for our wedding photos!

Our photographer lives in the same town as our venue, thankfully, but it is 2 hrs away, so for the engagement photos, we were hoping for something less formal, cheaper, and with more flexibility that did not require travel. We thought it would be fun to do with our photography major friend. But, yes, we were lucky that this was just an engagement session and not the wedding day.

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 5:38 PM Go to message in response to: aea1

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD.
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine