Officiants, legality, and the like...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

MewHannahChan Posts : 2 Registered: 11/4/09
Officiants, legality, and the like...
Posted: Aug 8, 2011 4:42 AM

So my fiance and I mulled over the idea of our old World History teacher being our officiant since we met because of him. This then got me wondering... could this be possible (in Colorado) if he's not a religious or judicial official? I've looked up marriage laws in Colorado but I haven't really found any specific rules on it.

Has anyone ever done something like this before? That is, having an officiant that's a friend or relative. Is there some way I could make this possible?

I'm still really in the dark about the legal stuff, too, so any tips would be great. :)

Safety and Peace... Don't lose the game!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Officiants, legality, and the like...
Posted: Aug 8, 2011 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: MewHannahChan

Dear Mew,

Try looking on the website for the specific Colorado county in which you want to marry. I know for a fact that Los Angeles County, California, has a "commissioner for a day" program where ordinary people can sign up to officiate at a specific wedding for a specific couple.

(I know because a good family friend's daughter did just that.)

There are other options. There are various religious organizations who will ordain ministers online following the payment of a fee. They are of dubious origin and of questionable theology, but if your only goal is to get a lay person "ordained" for the purpose of officiating at a wedding, that might suit your needs.

I have to ask you this. Do you have a current friendly relationship with your ex-teacher? The reason I ask is that just two days ago, I was having a chat with a friend of mine who is a high school teacher. She brought up the subject of former students coming back to her high school to "say hi". My friend really hates that. She is focused on her current students and doesn't want to waste energy on former students. Her attitude is "Go have a life, stop hanging around high school." when former students show up.

I can't say that is how your ex-teacher feels about it, but be prepared for a polite decline if you go and ask.

MewHannahChan Posts : 2 Registered: 11/4/09
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 2:26 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely keep digging.

And his former students have often stopped by before while we were in his class, and he would always encourage us to come visit in the future as he'd like to see how we turned out. As an alternative, we were also going to invite him and our old English teacher to the wedding regardless of whether or not he's the officiant. Even if it's a no, I think they'd like to know we respected and admired them enough to want them to be there.

Even if he says no, we'd still like to get someone we actually know and care about instead of some random judge (which is the only other option as neither of us have a faith that includes priests, pastors, etc.) to be the officiant.

Safety and Peace... Don't lose the game!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: MewHannahChan

dear Mew,

I don't think there is anything wrong with inviting anyone you want to invite. Just don't have hurt feelings if they decline. Besides, they might attend and be the life of the party!

Do your research as to who may legally be the officiant. In most areas, for example, judges may officate. My parents were good friends with a judge around the time I grew up. Had we not been church members, I could have asked that man to officiate at our wedding.

ZoellersNDGirl Posts : 8 Registered: 8/1/11
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: MewHannahChan

I don't know specifically about CO but in other places a person could take a test online and become ordained. We looked into it to have my brother in law marry us and apparently it's really simple.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: MewHannahChan

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 1232 is just $419.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine