Silk flower opinions

Online Users: 1,281 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

WoodlandBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/6/11
Silk flower opinions
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 1:50 PM

I am a fairly decisive person and know what I like style-wise and can usually find it to fit my (very tight) budget. However, the one thing that is leaving me scratching my head with a blank stare on my face is the flowers.

Let me say right off that they are probably the least important thing for me, BUT I do not want something that looks cheap and cheesey.

My budget is around $150... I only need 3 bouquets, 4 boutenieres (sp?) and one individual (mom). I am considering silk as they are less expensive and last longer.

Has anyone used "silkflowerfactory.com" ? Or is there a silk flower online dealer that you would recommend? Any info or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

MrsWilliamsToBe Posts : 11 Registered: 3/5/11
Re: Silk flower opinions
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

I've also thought about doing the whole silk flower thing to. I've never heard of the website you listed but you may can try save-on-crafts.com. One of my friends used that site and got the real feel flower which are the same thing I want to say. I never say the flowers in person but in pictures you couldn't even tell they weren't real!! And I'm not sure if the website you listed will let you purchase one individual flower that you're considering but this website will. And its not expensive at all. Really great prices!! Hopes this helps!!!

save the date

Shadowcat Posts : 16 Registered: 2/17/11
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliamsToBe

I'd try Etsy. We're doing satin/tulle fabric flowers because the Future Husband is Very Allergic to real flowers, and we both liked the kind of edgy-but-still-elegant feel of the mixed fabrics--the Etsy vendor we went with is reallybadkitty, and her bouquets aren't too expensive.

Posted: Jun 15, 2011 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: Shadowcat

Shadowcat
I have checked out etsy... There were some there I liked, I just seem incapable of making up my mind... i am also trying to figure on shipping costs. Ugh.. too much work for something so low on the priority scale.

I will check out that other site. I have seen those real feel flowers at hobby lobby, very nice, but pricey. Maybe the website will have them for less.

Rebecca

Whittington1979 Posts : 52 Registered: 6/13/06
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 2:57 AM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

I made My own flowers buy using real feel flowers. Email me:twin1814@yahoo.com for pics

Carrie Bradshaw: And we were dressed from head to toe in love... the only label that never goes out of style.

Pinkbride Posts : 9 Registered: 12/28/10
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 4:46 AM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

I have to say that if there is a farmers market near your home you should check it out. There are usually farm-florists there selling flowers that are local (affordable) with unique looks, I plan on getting all of my flowers from a farmers market and just tying them into personal bouquets with my bridesmaids the day before the wedding. Beautiful way to make bouquets for around 8.00 a person!!

Posted: Jul 12, 2011 8:30 PM Go to message in response to: Pinkbride

Ubfortunately, there is way too much going on the week before the wedding (in Nov) to do fresh, plus there is not too much in season then.

I did finally order the silks last week and they are due to arrive on Thurs.

Jenn, you are entitiled to an opinion.. I am somewhat inclined to agree with you. My sister did silk, but they were low quality and looked really fake. That was several years ago, but the stuff they have out now is a much better quality. (Not to mention she got hers at Walmart) It will look better, and there is not going to be a bouquet toss. The centerpieces have no flowers, just greenery.

MegBarnes Posts : 2 Registered: 7/19/11
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

That's a doable budget for decent silks. I used to work at a flower shop, so I know silks come in every quality you can imagine. Some of them are really gross, but others look almost real.

Have you tried looking at craft stores in your area? In the Midwest, we have Hobby Lobby, and they always have great selection and sales that go on pretty often. IMO, it would be better to buy flowers you can see firsthand, since online photos could be deceiving. You could end up with flowers that really are cheap looking...

ladyfione Posts : 2 Registered: 8/9/11
Posted: Aug 11, 2011 9:14 PM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

Initially I bought these giant open roses bouquets from a e-retailer called efavormart.com and then a lot of these smaller size roses with wire stems I used to wrap the napkins and utensils with. I was pleasantly surprised at how very very economical the total purchase came out to.

Later on, I spotted the silkflowerfactory that you mentioned and their prices were either same or cheaper.

I normally alternate between the two since certain colors do run out fairly quick and I get really irritated when I can't put together the vision I have in mind.

ronaldhelre Posts : 6 Registered: 9/19/11
Posted: Oct 29, 2011 8:46 AM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

I dont have any suggestion for you but i can appreciate your decission of choosing silk flowers for wedding decorations.Silk flower arrangements can act as great gift ideas on various occasions and for different people in contact.

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 9:37 PM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

I definitely think real flowers are cheaper, especially roses. There are so many colors and varieties. However, if you have decided on silk there are a few things and tips to keep in mind.

1. To avoid choosing flowers that look cheap, don't buy silk roses, or any other "popular" flower. These tend to look completely fake and if they don't they will run you $4-5 per stem (waay too much) Instead buy flowers such as hydrangea, orchids, even tulips.

2. Treat them as real. This means stripping the stems of any foliage or leaves and arranging just as real flowers with minimum fillers and/or greenery. I think this part is key.

Picking flowers should not be a headache.. keep it simple.

Brenda
STEMS Event Florist

Visit my website

Alger Posts : 7 Registered: 12/1/11
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

I am using these different faux flowers called Sola or Balsa flowers. They are made of soft wood, are supper cheap and look fantastic. You can get them at Save on Crafts for CHEAP.

Lyndzo Posts : 8 Registered: 1/13/12
Posted: Jan 13, 2012 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

I'm doing silk flowers for my wedding this August. After investigating both real and silk, the silk flowers were nearly half the cost of real flowers! I am ordering them from this site: http://wedideas.com/

PlatinumInferno... Posts : 5 Registered: 1/15/12
Posted: Jan 15, 2012 8:25 PM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

They never go bad, nothing wrong with that ;)

-wix.com/platinuminferno/videogrpahy -facebook.com/platinuminferno

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

Ball Gown Strapless Ruffles Organza Wedding Dress Style Giselle
Save up to 22% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $218.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/ball-gown-strapless-ruffles-organza-wedding-dress-style-giselle-p-33756.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine