Vera Wang Eleanor gown - aka the Sex and the City gown

Online Users: 1,314 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

savoirfaire Posts : 1 Registered: 6/20/10
Vera Wang Eleanor gown - aka the Sex and the City gown
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 2:43 AM

Hi all, I'm based in Australia and I'm completely obsessed with the Eleanor gown from Vera Wang's fall 2010 collection.
Here's a picture of it:
http://fashionbride.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/vera-wang-2010-fall-bridal-collection/brf10_120110_eleanor_f/

I'm seriously considering flying 25 hours to New York just to try it on and order it.
But I'm a bit worried that the skirt would look stiff.
After all, it's a pretty full-on gown and it's not easy to pull off the look.

Has anyone tried on the ACTUAL gown?
Touched it or seen it at all?
Any input would be much appreciated.

Niki11 Posts : 1 Registered: 6/24/10
Re: Vera Wang Eleanor gown - aka the Sex and the City gown
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: savoirfaire

Hi!

I actually have tried on and have ordered this dress for my own wedding! It's pretty stellar, but here are the things you need to know before you get on that plane.

1) It's very heavy. I was astounded by how heavy it was. There's actually a "cage" underneath the skirt, but not the traditional "hoop" made of metal/whatever. The structure of the cage is made of a thick material with a mesh material actually covering the structure. Does that make sense? Thing of a dome made out of thicker material going downwards and then sideways (making all sorts of boxes) and then the mesh filling in those boxes that the crossed lines make. Hope this isn't as confusing as it's reading back to me.

2) It's stiff, but not in a bad way. The cage and weight of the skirt will definitely make it a bit harder to "gather up" and carry, but it does have some movement/wave to it especially towards the bottom. However, this may change when the dress is actually tailored to my height and will just skim the floor, as opposed to it being a lot longer when I tried on the sample dress, even with 4.5 inch heels on.

3) Since it is such a big/heavy/thick dress, you will definitely want to wear this only if you are having your wedding during a cool/breezy climate. I'm getting married in Nov. 2011, in Florida, and I'm desperately hoping that there will be some breeze. If not, I'll need a portable fan everywhere I go. :)

4) I ordered it with a sweetheart neckline, to give it a bit more detail at the top, and also ordered a swarovski crystal belt to wear with it instead of the black bow.

5) the top is very much a corset top, in the best possible way. The structure of it prevents the dress from dropping (therefore, no unsightly moments of having to keep pulling your top up the entire night) and gives you incredible shape.

It's definitely a lot to consider for a 25 hour plane ride. I've done the trip to australia, and I wouldn't want you to go all that way just to find out that this actually isn't the dress you're looking for so definitely think about it! I know that when I went to try on dresses, I was OBSESSED with Vera Wang's "Diana," and in the end, the consultant knew exactly what she was doing when she put me in Eleanor. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions, or if you want to send me a private message with your email address, I can send you photos of how the dress looked on me/a real body :)

AMG Posts : 1 Registered: 8/6/10
Posted: Aug 6, 2010 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: savoirfaire

Hi there. I also purchased the Eleanor gown for my Dec, 2010 wedding. I fell in love with it at first sight. My fiance and I got engaged on Christmas day, 2009. The week after we got engaged I went to Vera (Madison Ave) to browse their dresses. I used to be an event planner and planned a lot of weddings and knew that choosing my dress would inspire the theme for the rest of the wedding. I was lucky because the Fall 2010 collection was at Vera for just one week. I tried on the Eleanor dress and instantly knew that the dress was the one! My wedding is in the winter in NYC and I need something to keep me warm. I decided to go ahead with the black sash (my bridesmaids have long black Vera gowns), but I also decided to put cap sleeves on it. If I don't like the sleeves I will just take them off (they snap off). I always thought I would want something much simpler for my wedding, but this dress is too gorgeous. It really set the tone for the rest of the wedding. The theme is black and white, with some accents of red and silver. Even my favors will be chocolate crumb cookies from the Momufuku bakery in NYC.

I'm not sure if a flight to NYC for the dress is worth it, but then again, you only live once and NYC is a great town to visit!

Good luck.

kara1 Posts : 1 Registered: 12/8/10
Posted: Dec 8, 2010 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: Niki11

I have also purchased this dress for my wedding in June 2011. I am having the toughest time find the perfect shoes to wear with it. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!! :)

Thanks!

KateG1 Posts : 2 Registered: 7/7/11
Posted: Jul 7, 2011 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: Niki11

Hello,
I'm just wondering if youre thinking about selling your dress after your wedding. Let me know, I could be interested!

isiswoow Posts : 1 Registered: 1/4/12
Posted: Jan 4, 2012 12:42 AM Go to message in response to: KateG1

I have the dress and I will like to sell it after 2/11/12 (my wedding date)
If you are still interested please contact me @
isiswoow84@hotmail.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine