Wedding DRESS Alternate

Online Users: 1,238 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 6

jerrimargaret Posts : 2 Registered: 6/22/11
Wedding DRESS Alternate
Posted: Jun 22, 2011 9:07 PM

My mother is finally ending an eight year engagement with a double wedding, but has run into a few problems. Both brides have different color schemes that have to come together in the end and then have decided to not wear traditional white gowns.
My father and his best friend along with their men will be wearing dark blue denim Wrangler's, new cowboy boots, and nice button down shirts. This has lead to an even stronger idea of not wearing full dresses.
However, my family and all the friends have been waiting EIGHT years for this wedding so everyone wants to see my mother in a lovely full gown. But she refuses to wear a white dress because this isn't her first marriage.
We've discussed a few options of a skirt or summer dress, but as her daughter, I am really stuck on getting her into a lovely dress! I was thinking of finding some dresses that were off-white or something of that sort. Since she grew up in a Harley family and is marrying a Harley man I've gotten her leaning towards a big dress, but one that's black. She is more open to an option that is a little more unconventional such as a black dress or dresses that aren't crazy full.

If you have any ideas or tips on dresses or how to convince her to wear a dress, that would be wonderful and much appreciated!!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Wedding DRESS Alternate
Posted: Jun 22, 2011 10:49 PM Go to message in response to: jerrimargaret

Dear Jerri,

"But she refuses to wear a white dress because this isn't her first marriage. "

I agree with Mom. I grew up hearing that white bridal gowns for for first-timers, only. I totally agree with Mom, and if I were getting married again I would not wear white. Period. My dress, my body, my decision.

I fully support any bride's decision to wear what every color she wants, but if your mom is uncomfortable in white, then SO BE IT. She's the one wearing the dress, thus the final word on color and style is hers alone.

I don't like the idea of black, either. Too funeral. If your mother is conventional enough to eschew white for a second-time wedding, then I'd like to bet that black would be totally out of the question.

If the men in the wedding are wearing blue denim, then a light blue dress in a cut and style appropriate to her age and figure would look nice.

Oddly enough, what comes to mind is the dress my own MIL wore to my wedding, back in 1976. MIL was then 50 years old. She wore a powder blue dress with some embroidery detail around the neckline. The dress had an Empire waistline (stylish then, not now) and hung straight from the waistline. It was a beautiful dress and absolutely appropriate for a woman in her 50s.

Thanks to the new Duchess of Cambridge, "facinator" hats are now in style. Imagine your mom in a power blue dress and a really great-looking blue "facinator". She would look very special dressed appropriately for her age and for her second wedding.

PS: Ignore the Evil Vendor who first replied. I wish we could exterminate these pests from the message board.

MrsWilliamsToBe Posts : 11 Registered: 3/5/11
Posted: Jun 23, 2011 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: jerrimargaret

What style of dress is she wanting more or? Long and flowy? Knee length? Something with body? etc?

And I agree with Aunt....if the guys are in DARK denium jeans have her in a soft tiffany or robin's egg blue...if she's not into the blue go for the opposite of the color shirt the guys or wearing. or a contrasting color if that's more her style

save the date

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2011 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliamsToBe

Its here wedding she should wear whatever she wants!!!

wedding tickers

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Jun 23, 2011 8:27 PM Go to message in response to: jerrimargaret

Don't bother trying to convince her. Giving your input is one thing, but you already know how she feels so why push it?

JuliaB Posts : 7 Registered: 8/12/11
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 11:10 AM Go to message in response to: jerrimargaret

I would definitely look into going the custom route. Taylor at Taylor Wilson Style can make you anything in any color. She made my two wedding dresses one which was ivory, and then another which was pink for the reception! Her email is info@taylorwilsonstyle.com - Good lucK :)

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 2:43 AM Go to message in response to: jerrimargaret

San Patrick Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-san-patrick-c-420_454.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine