Invitation wording...

Online Users: 1,246 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

PatricksLove Posts : 26 Registered: 3/6/08
Invitation wording...
Posted: May 31, 2011 9:48 PM

Hi ladies,
My wedding is 9 months away so I'm starting to think about invitation wording and styles. I saw the following wording on some website and FH and I both like it. What do y'all think? Does it sound proper but not too formal?

Because you have shared in our lives
by your friendship and love, we

Meagan Nicole Bride
&
Patrick Michael Groom

invite you to share
the beginning of our new life together
when we are united in marriage
Sunday, the fourth of March
two thousand and twelve
at two o'clock in the afternoon

Venue
Address
City, TX

Reception immediately following.

Thanks for the help :)

Patrick and Meagan <3 March 4, 2012

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Invitation wording...
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 12:08 AM Go to message in response to: PatricksLove

Dear Meagan,

Excellent.

I just have a couple of minor suggestions.

"Reception immediately following."

I've seen it worded:

Reception immediately following the ceremony.

I assume, from what you printed, that the ceremony and reception are at the same place. If that's not true, then you need to make a separate reception location clear.

Second suggestion:

RSVP 555-555-5555 or xyz at something dot com
www dot your wedding website dot com

You need an RSVP line with at least a phone number, then an email address if you like. If you have a wedding website, just print it in the last line.

(Don't say "dot com". I just did that here to avoid the website software from converting my example to a real hyperlink.)

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I apologize, I should have also stated that our ceremony and reception are at the same location and we will be including an RSVP insert.

Thank you for your suggestion, Aunt. I thought that last line looked a little abrupt.

DeniseRose Posts : 40 Registered: 5/10/11
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: PatricksLove

I like it. The following is just somethings to think about. You could totaly use it as you posted it with no changes.

It does not seem to formal to me.
It is a small departure from totaly-traditional-formal which really helps make it less FORMAL.

I assume that your groom are the hosts. If not then it needs some changes to reflect who is the host.
Still are you sure you don't want to mention who your parents are? That would be more old fashioned and formal to do so but just wanted to check with you.

Will you include a "dress code" line. I hate it when I get a wedding invite that does not include a "dress code" line. I feel so lost as to how to dress. Whether it's It's White Tie or come-as-you-are or something in between, as a gusest I don't want to have to guess.

Some guests may like to know the religious nature of the ceremony. If the venue is a church (or other religious house) then you are covered. If you are having the ceremoney at a country club (or other non religious venue) then you may want to add something like:

"when we are united in marriage before God"

Or

"Sunday, the fourth of March
in the year of our Lord two thousand and twelve"

I'm doing christian suggestions because that's my religion. Other religions may have diffrent ideas.
and of course you may not have a religious nature at all. Still, I as a guest like to know what I'm walking into so that I can be sure to respect the beliefs of the couple while not being disrespectful to God, the Creater who I believe in.

Aunt always has great advice. So see her above post.
However, I don't think you need to put "reception immediatly following the ceremony" I think that what you have alread is fine and the extra words "the ceremony" can implyed.

You do need to say RSVP. Although a phone number or other contact should not be necessary. If you have RSVP cards and envelopes included, then they should be pre addressed. Otherwise, people should get the address for the return address you put on the outer envelope. If you have a website, you may want to include an info card that tells them the website url, there you could also include a useful e-mail address. If you have no RSVP card and you can't trust your guests to look at the return address on the outer envelope, then yes, you need to put contact info with the RSVP line.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: PatricksLove

Dear Meagan,

"I apologize, I should have also stated that our ceremony and reception are at the same location and we will be including an RSVP insert. "

No need for an apology; we don't always get it right the first time.

On second look at your wording, I notice that your ceremony is at 2 pm. Great.

That indicates to me that your reception will be in the mid- to late-afternoon, and will be all over by about 5. That tells me that you don't intend to serve a full meal, but just snacky stuff. That's totally OK. At that time of the day, all you really need is cake, punch, coffee, finger food and (if you are so inclined) champagne or a alcoholic punch. If you want to skip the alcohol, fine.

I suggest you make that a bit more obvious so the totally clueless can figure out for themselves not to expect a tummy-busting meal.

Light refreshments will be served at the reception immediately following the ceremony.

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

My groom and I are the hosts as well as the only ones contributing financially at this time. (I say "at this time" because I am still hoping that my parents will help me in even the slightest way). Anyway, my parents are not exactly involved in the wedding...they are more like VIP guests with special seating and are included in the pictures. That is why we have chosen not to include them on the invite.

As for the dress code line, I have planned on including this sort of information on our wedding website which will be included on the response card. Plus, we are having a relative small wedding (about 100 people) that are close family members and friends so I'm sure they will just ask.

Aunt, yes we are planning on having the wedding at 2pm. We get 7 hours at the venue (2 hours prior to the ceremony for decorating, getting ready, pictures, etc.) so the event will be ending around 7pm. I planned it this way because we are getting married on a Sunday and most of the guests are traveling from about 4 hours away. I want to make sure they are able to get back at a relatively decent time so they do not have to miss work on Monday. That being said, we are having a full Italian-style buffet complete with veggies and cheese appetizers. I want to make sure all of the food we are paying for gets eaten. Is there a proper way to inform guests we will be eating a full meal around 3pm? I don't think I want to move the wedding any earlier and I for sure do not want to move it any later.

Thanks again :)

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: PatricksLove

Dear Meagan,

"That being said, we are having a full Italian-style buffet complete with veggies and cheese appetizers. I want to make sure all of the food we are paying for gets eaten."

Luncheon Reception immediately following the ceremony.

That lets them know to come hungry and not plan on dinner somewhere else.

I also suggest you ask your caterer about preparing any leftover food to take home. If the caterer agrees, then let your immediate family know that they can split the leftovers. That means nothing goes to waste.

DeniseRose Posts : 40 Registered: 5/10/11
Posted: Jun 3, 2011 2:49 AM Go to message in response to: PatricksLove

Given all that you have now told us, I think the wording is fine.

You might use Aunt's suggestion "Luncheon Reception immediately following the ceremony."

I was wondering if you are going to use "&" or "and"
Because you don't want it to be too formal, "&" is maybe a good choice.

Sounds like you have been very thoughtful.

Go for it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

LeoBaz Posts : 1 Registered: 6/20/11
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: PatricksLove

The wording looks good and spacing invitations are very personal my wife and i had ours put onto a wall plaque
If are happy with the end result you can see how

see how
http://bit.ly/ltmtO1

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 5:32 PM Go to message in response to: LeoBaz

The wording looks good and spacing invitations are very personal my wife and i had ours put onto a wall plaque If are happy with the end result you can see how see how

EVIL VENDOR

Ladies,

That link takes you to a commercial business website to sell you a product -- no need to click it.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine