different wedding, same problem

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

longcat Posts : 7 Registered: 5/20/11
different wedding, same problem
Posted: May 20, 2011 5:42 PM

this is more a vent than anything...i know my options and they all suck, lol. just want to express my frustrations, as it were. this will be my second marriage. the wedding the first time around was very small and very quiet...i couldn't find a dress i both liked and could afford, so i made a gown. OMG. i should have settled, in retrospect. it was so much work, and didn't come out quite right anyway. now here i am, where i never expected to be again, planning to get married, and once again...i can't seem to find anything i both like and can afford. and i haven't even looked in a shop because we're still about 17 months out from our desired date (saving actual looking for late fall/winter). just browsing, i've looked at thousands of pictures online and found only one gown i'd consider wearing, and while it's "reasonable" as wedding gowns go, at $800, it's about twice the upper limit of what i'd be willing to spend. :P

and thinking about it, i don't think i could bring myself to settle. i think i'd wind up making a gown again. i actually ordered fabric swatches last night. :: sigh :: can't teach an old dog new tricks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rising from the ashes...

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: different wedding, same problem
Posted: May 20, 2011 7:48 PM Go to message in response to: longcat

Dear Longcat,

You have a $400 gap between the dress you want and the money you have.

Is there any job you can do for anyone that will get you a quick $400?

Clean house? Move junk? Weed the garden? Drive a car cross country? Any odd job at your parents' place of employment? Parents' friends?

Put out the word: "I will do anything for $400. Help me get the wedding dress I want." and see if you get any nibbles.

Just a suggestion.

longcat Posts : 7 Registered: 5/20/11
Posted: May 20, 2011 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

lol thanks aunt. it's more of an objection on principle than anything...i suppose i chose the wrong words in my post. i CAN afford an $800 dress...i'm just not willing to pay $800 for a polyester dress that i'm going to wear ONCE for a few hours when i can make a silk gown for half that (provided that i keep it relatively simple). so i guess i have some mental blockages to get over.

besides, like catstandish said, i have 17 months...7 or 8 before i even start shopping for real. who knows how many times i might change my mind. and if i don't change my mind, in 7 or 8 months this particular dress might be on clearance anyway, lol. (this one, btw...sorry i haven't quite figured out the plain text linking procedure yet. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_VW351021-VW351021_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Designer-White-by-Vera-Wang )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rising from the ashes...

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: May 21, 2011 12:22 AM Go to message in response to: longcat

Dear LC,

OK, since you say it's not a matter of budget but a matter of either-or, here's a mind game for you.

You may wear the dress just one day, but you will look at the photos for the rest of your life. The feeling of being in that dress will remain with you forever. You still remember the dress from your first wedding, after all, even some time after the marriage ended.

Do you want to go years into the future saying "Dang it, I settled AGAIN." ?

Or, get what you want and be happy with it?

If it were truly a matter of budget, then I would be the first to tell you to stick with your budget. I am really careful with staying within a budget and out of consumer debt. In your case, since it isn't a matter of budget but, instead, of emotion, consider what I wrote above as one emotional scenario.

You have a lot of time to think about it.

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: May 21, 2011 5:08 AM Go to message in response to: longcat

I have a bit of a different thought then the other ladies. You've done all your searching online so far - my suggestion? Go try stuff on! If I had bought my dress solely by what I saw and liked online, I would have missed out on MY dress because I didn't think I'd want or be comfortable in a strapless dress among other things. You might find that you really love that dress, but you might find that it doesn't suit you when it's on you! :)

I know this is your 2nd time around, and maybe you did do this the first time around, but try stuff on that you wouldn't necessarily think to try on.

As the others have said, this may be a dress that you will only wear once, but you probably WILL look at the pictures/video in years to come, and as proven by your post - if you are unhappy, you'll remember it! This might be the place to splurge just a bit. :)

EmilyEastondotcom Posts : 38 Registered: 7/16/11
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: longcat

I would really try to work toward "Different wedding -- same problem -- but this time store-bought solution!"

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: longcat

A-line Orange Sweetheart Open Back Mini Prom Dress With Sequins
Save up to 38% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $99.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-orange-sweetheart-open-back-mini-prom-dress-with-sequins-p-32107.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine