Low Libido and BCP

Online Users: 1,311 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

sweet_jade Posts : 19 Registered: 2/9/11
Low Libido and BCP
Posted: May 3, 2011 9:48 PM

Hi Ladies,

I'm in need of some information in the form of your experiences. I will be speaking with my doctor, but I'm in the process of changing docs (my current doc is rather useless...)so I'm doing some preliminary research before I make my appointment with my new doctor.

Here's the situation - I've been with my BF for almost 6 years. At the beginning of the relationship, he was happy with our sex life. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case and hasn't been for a while.

We had a long discussion the other night about our current situation and how he thinks my BCP is the culprit behind my lack of libido.

He wanted me to go off the pill completely and I refused, telling him I would go off after we're married but not before. He then suggested that I change my BCP to see if my libido increases.

He's really worried that our sex life will not get any better once we're married and would like to resolve the issues as soon as possible (ie. before he proposes).

I would love to be that girl who wants to have sex all the time. When I was younger, I remember wanting it more often (I was on a different BCP). Apparently, he remembers, too, and wants me to do anything possible to sort this out.

I'll be honest, I've actually considered going off the pill. But I'm just not sure I could handle the uncertainty of not knowing my cycle etc. Not to mention, I really dislike condoms and prefer not to use them.

I've searched the threads here (didn't find what I was looking for) and thought I'd ask for your experiences. I'm currently on Yasmin and I love it.... but, low libido (except right before and during my period).

I'm considering going on triphasic BC - I've read that the triphasic packs better mimic the hormone levels during a regular cycle. Have any of you had experiences with the triphasic brands? Do you like them? Any monophasic brands that have helped with libido?

I REALLY want to resolve this... I want my man to be happy with our sex life and I know I can make this happen. I just prefer to do it while still on hormonal BC.

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Re: Low Libido and BCP
Posted: May 4, 2011 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: sweet_jade

Hi,

What I would do is go off BC for a month. Use condoms and see how your libido is. If it's great then try a different version of the hormonal BC pill. If it's still not great while off the pill then you have to find the underlying issue with your sex life.

Honestly I have tried several different pills due to headaches and low libido. The only thing that solved the libido issue was going off entirely. I'm back on now and I'm taking Yaz. It has higher risk of side effects but I don't get the searing headaches when I am on the break between. Libido still isn't great. I can't wait to get off the pill when we are going to start TTC. It will be so much fun.

sweet_jade Posts : 19 Registered: 2/9/11
Posted: May 4, 2011 10:28 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Thanks Beeble - I didn't consider going off for one month and starting again. Not such a bad idea.

This would be so much easier if we were just married and I didn't have to worry about getting pregnant! Arg!

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: May 5, 2011 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: sweet_jade

Jade

I know what you mean! I have to wait until the end of sept to see if they are going to let me keep my job or not. Union here and anytime a job is restructured it must be reposted and I have to reapply for the job. As long as I get to keep my job i'll get to keep my benefits which means i'll still have my mat leave top up available and we might start trying this fall.

My other piece of advice is that if you are not into initiating so much due to low libido, go out and find something little sexy to wear. Even if you feel silly in it, boys just like to see something different and will appreciate the effort.

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: May 17, 2011 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: sweet_jade

You could also try vaginal contraceptive film. It's supposed to be highly effective.

It might take a little longer for your body to adjust after being on BC for 6 years.

I'm taking Natural Family Planning classes with my husband. It has helped me learn about my cycles and when I'm fertile. That could be something to look into.

longcat Posts : 7 Registered: 5/20/11
Posted: May 20, 2011 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: sweet_jade

i'm new, and this is my first post here, but i have to say i was on yaz (not yasmin but similar) and i HATED it. but i seem to be the only freak for whom PMS crap got worse on the pill, and my "period" got heavier and longer...

that said, if you're not comfortable going off BCP yet, don't. if your BF is letting how often you have sex make or break your relationship (wanting to iron it out before he proposes implies that he won't propose if it can't be ironed out), honestly, that's his problem.

for now, i'd try switching to another pill if you're really concerned. from someone who's BTDT though...your libido will make a wondrous comeback when you stop taking BCP. if it were me, i'd just ask him to be patient.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rising from the ashes...

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine