Ok - My List of "On the Cheep"

Online Users: 1,320 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

caryli Posts : 3 Registered: 4/3/11
Ok - My List of "On the Cheep"
Posted: Apr 3, 2011 10:30 PM

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Ok - My List of "On the Cheep"
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 12:39 AM Go to message in response to: caryli

Sweetie...your idea of "on the cheap" is very different than a LOT of people's here.

For Example:
My wedding dress, including alterations and underthings was $700

Jewelry: I spent $35 on a tiara. Borrowed earrings, DH gave me a necklace, and the bracelet was something I already had

Shoes: They were $75. I didn't wear them.

My Wedding party? I told them to pick a dress that was black and flowy between knee and tea length... whatever their budget. If it was already in their closet, I did not care.

Do you see where I am going here?

You are not doing anything here "on the cheap". My entire wedding cost less than the few items you listed here. And several folks here had budgets even lower than mine.

On the cheap:

Craft store going out of business, so pick up a lot of things months in advance so you can get it at 75-90% off. I bought fall decor for our fall wedding when they were on off season sale, and held onto it for nearly a year.

And it was inexpensive...but not Cheap.

You want to talk "on the cheap" as a theme? Clearly, you have no idea what "CHEAP" means or you would never think that a wedding dress for $1,300 was 'cheap'. To me, that's EXTRAVAGANT. That's me though. I guess if you consider $1,300 to be cheap, you would consider $5,000 normal or reasonable.

Misty

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 9:58 AM Go to message in response to: caryli

OK I have to admit I thought the same thing as MrsM about the baby chicks - sorry! :-)

And I also agree that I think 'cheap', 'inexpensive' is all in the eye of the beholder. I had ~$16K wedding budget which is much more than some ladies on here and much less too. But my wedding dress was about $500 because I spent more on say the venue/food or the photographer. I did my own invites again to help save $ here so I could spend it there.

Some of the ladies on here, their budget would be the cost of your dress. And there's nothing wrong either way. But it is a good idea to think about that sometimes too.

caryli Posts : 3 Registered: 4/3/11
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

HOLD ON HERE!

Most of all of your comments are a little rude. I am sorry if I don;t fit in with your idea of "cheap" however - considering that I got really high quality items - like a $6K dress for under $2K

Dressed a Party of 13 for $115.00 a person (exc shoes)

Had over 350 people at my wedding

and yes - buying for big #'s costs -

it was on the cheap.

As for my theme - Mod Bird was my theme - and if you didn't like it - refrain from demeaning it - im sure your wedding will have things you might think as personal - and if someone pokes fun at it - its insensitive.

And yes - this is cheap to me - considering the numbers I was getting elsewhere.

Edited by: caryli on Apr 4, 2011 11:10 AM

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: caryli

I understand the OP's point on how they items could have cost a lot more, so for those specific items, it could have been cheap.

The only thing that proves to me that this wedding wasn't "on the cheep" or cheap, is that she still spent $100-$200 on dresses from DB. That's there price range, and honestly I still think that's expensive for that place! No offense to anyone who uses them, but I personally think the place is over priced.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Leo - OMG a BM dress I got from another shop about 10 years ago was over $300 and just recently I had to get a BM dress (that fortunately the B & G paid for) that was over $300.

I think the alterations at DB are outrageous but if you're going bridal boutique vs off rack at a store they are better priced than most 'bridal boutiques' - perhaps with the exception of the bridal stores now popping up associated with JCrew, Penneys etc. But then they won't carry larger sizes. Gotta love it.

And yes, getting a $6000 dress for $1300 is a BARGAIN! But she didn't explain that in her original post.

There's no way I'd look at a price tag of $1300 and think that was a bargain without knowing the full price beforehand (I'm too cheap - and yes I mean cheap - to spend even $1300 on a dress, but that's me. :-) And that's not everyone, so that makes sense.)

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm, DB can be a lot cheaper then a lot of BM dresses, but I still think they are over priced. My BM dresses were in the same price range but purchased at a boutique, but the material, quality, and service we received were definitely worth so much more.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 2:39 AM Go to message in response to: caryli

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine