He has it!

Online Users: 1,356 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 8

VGamsky Posts : 18 Registered: 4/6/10
He has it!
Posted: Mar 12, 2011 1:40 AM

Hey everyone I'm new here so I thought I would ask a question. My boyfriend took me to the mall a few days ago and had me pick out a engagement ring then proceeded to buy it. the silly man he is he didn't realize it would have to be re-sized so here's the dilemma, can I start planning yet? we aren't technically engaged because my boyfriend wants to do something romantic but he had me tell my mother about the ring and now she wants to throw an engagement party for us when we are home in April... is it bad form to allow the invites to be ordered before the ring is on my finger?

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: He has it!
Posted: Mar 12, 2011 12:07 PM Go to message in response to: VGamsky

dear VG,

If the two of you have agreed to be married, you are engaged. There is a period of time between the private agreement and the public announcement.

Sometimes, that public announcement comes at the engagement party.

Here is what I suggest: Your boyfriend told you to tell your Mom, so I think it would be perfectly OK to tell him that Mom wants to throw an engagement party.

See what he thinks about keeping the engagement private until the engagement party, then possibly wearing your ring for the first time at the party.

That gives you plenty of time to get the ring sized and for him to surprise you with an official romantic proposal.

Posted: Mar 12, 2011 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Thanks for the advice Aunt, I spoke with him this morning after I read your post and he was really understanding about having to order the invites before we have the ring. We both want people to be able to come to the engagement party! lol :D he wants me to start wearing the ring as soon as he proposes which he says will be in the next few weeks. Your advice really helped me get my thoughts together so we could have an intelligent conversation.

PolarIce Posts : 39 Registered: 12/17/10
Posted: Mar 14, 2011 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: VGamsky

That's super exciting! congrats on the purchase. I bet you must be so excited. You know as far as the planning goes, I dont know that I would let anyone about it, just because you have no officially/publicly engaged; however as far you to are concerned, I agree with Aunt, you're already have shown that commitment to each other so you are already engaged.

I don't see anything wrong with starting to plan, tho I will admit I held off planning until it was officially done, to help make it that special day that much more exciting.

Congrats on the big step, you must be beaming!

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: PolarIce

Thanks for the input My Boyfriend says he wants to tell everyone Friday which makes me think he has the ring and is going to propose this week so I am a happy girl. I am trying to just go with the flow and not spoil what ever he wants to do for me though... it's really hard, but I have been concentrating on the engagement invitation wording and cleaning my house for the last day or so and it seems to be working. Well until I come on here for some inspiration :D. Thanks again for the good advice :D

VG

Ronni7788 Posts : 1 Registered: 3/21/11
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 8:07 AM Go to message in response to: VGamsky

)))

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: VGamsky

You end up getting a new ring last week?

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 9:07 PM Go to message in response to: PolarIce

Yeah it's so pretty! I'm going to post pictures of it Monday hopefully!

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: VGamsky

Oh waw, ok. Congrats! I wish mine had been that scheduled!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine