Your Thoughts Appreciated

Online Users: 1,300 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Your Thoughts Appreciated
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 5:34 PM

As you can imagine, part of my brand is being helpful. I've come up with an idea and was wondering if it holds water.

I'd like to host a small gathering of brides planning their weddings (and perhaps the grooms too). I would expect about 20 brides to attend. The event would be after work at a local venue. Hopefully, I can get the venue to spring for some finger food and beverages out of their advertising budget. The idea of the event would be to bring brides planning their weddings together with some recent brides to discuss hints, tips and provide advice for wedding planning. In addition to the brides, it will be a real soft sell for photography. I'd put out my albums and tell people they can talk to me. Other than that there wouldn't be a sales pitch. I might also have a wedding planner in addition to the newly married brides.

Thoughts? Comments? Will this work?

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Your Thoughts Appreciated
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 7:06 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Howard,

Something one of my friends was going to do before he and his photography partner had a falling out (never asked what about, and do not want to know :) :

He was going to get brochures, etc, from area vendors whose work he had seen at weddings he had done and pretty much make a 'by appointment bridal fair' so that the brides could come in and see information from vetted vendors (not just folks who show up to the bridal shows and may or may not be good). Those that they liked, he'd help schedule appointments with.

This would be no cost to the bride, but a bit of a referral fee back to him from the vendor if she went with him.

The idea was that the brides could come in when convenient for them. He would have champagne and fruit for them and talk to them a little bit about what they wanted, what their budget was, and recommend vendors based on that.

Yes...that is sort of a wedding planning service -- but for brides who were not hiring a wedding planner.

As far as your idea...I think it is lovely. It is a great idea to bring in recent brides (who love to talk about their wedding and what worked/what didn't) to also sort of work with these brides.

Misty

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Honestly, I don't think I would attend.

If a photographer I was unfamiliar with hosted a party of brides I would be waiting for the sales pitch. And even when there isn't a sales pitch I always feel pressured to purcahse the product or service anyways.

It's a really nice idea though--this sense of community--and I am sure a lot of people would go for it.

I just know that if I saw the offer, I would probably pass.

Where would you find the brides?

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 12:33 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

The bride list would come from those who are on my e-mail list. That is those who receive regular newsletters. I could also advertise it on Facebook and also have some other folks use their lists to do an e-mail blast series.

As far as the pressure to buy from me, I hope it would be imaginary. That is, I don't want there to be an obligation to purchase from me but I hope they would take a moment to look through my work and then discuss it with me.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 7:44 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

A-line Saphhire Floral One-shoulder Drape Side Slit Backless Floor-length Prom Dress
Save up to 32% off on New Trend Prom Dress,the price is just $149.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-saphhire-floral-oneshoulder-drape-side-slit-backless-floorlength-prom-dress-p-31718.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine