The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!

Online Users: 1,284 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 1,599

JaniceO Posts : 980 Registered: 12/5/06
Re: The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!
Posted: Mar 3, 2011 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

MrsSy, Faith always hated liquid pedialyte, but she didn't seem to mind the pedialyte popcicles. It might be worth a shot if he doesn't take in any liquids today.

Our pediatrician told us a good way to check for dehydration is to lightly squeeze their fingertip. The nail/fingertip should turn white briefly and then back to pink quickly. If it seems to take awhile to return to pink, they are dehydrated. Also, watch his levels of alertness. If he seems lethargic, you may need to go back to the ER for IV fluids.

I hope Dylan feels better soon!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 3, 2011 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: JaniceO

Sy--Sorry to hear you have such a load on your shoulders right now. No wonder you're stressed. I hope Dylan gets better soon.

BTW have you tried giving him probiotics on a regular basis? I have no idea if it's helped Garrett, but I do know he doesn't get sick that often, I know it's pretty much abolished my urinary tract infections, and a mom on my birth board on BabyCenter had discussions with her son's dr. about it when her son got infant botulism a few months ago, and they both suspected that the effects were lessened by his regular intake of probiotics.

Nat--I hope Alessandra is doing better even though she's still in the NICU. And bday wishes to the twins! It's fun having a few of us that have babies turning 1 all around the same time--Dylan, your twins, then Garrett turns 1 in about 3 weeks.

More regarding cloth diapers:

I haven't tried gDiapers, but I'm posting a link to their info because I know a lot of people like them for their versatility. You purchase the diapers covers, then you can also purchase reusable cloth diapers to go inside the covers, OR biodegradable disposable inserts.

http://www.diapers.com/product/subcategory.aspx?categoryid=3&categoryname=Diapering&subcategoryid=115&subcategoryname=Cloth+Diapers&queryfrom=subcategory&filtername=Brand&filtervalue=gDiapers

I haven't done the math to exactly compare the price of typical all-in-ones or pockets vs. gDiapers, but I do see they're somewhat comparable in price, and they do have the added bonus of being able to choose sposie or cloth but still stay environmentally friendly. They do have polyester in the cloth.

I think someone asked about newborn diapers? Janice may be able to answer that better. We didn't have the right size covers to be able to CD Garrett before his cord stump fell off and I haven't ever researched it, so I can't offer any info there. If you do find CDs/covers for newborns, meconium (newborn poo) is dark and tarry, so you'll want to line your cloth diapers with some sort of liner--old cut up T-shirts would work fine, or flannel.

Prefolds (I think someone asked about those, too?)--I have them. They're inexpensive but there's a learning curve to using them so if you have little patience, or if your DH does, I wouldn't get those. My DH still won't put Garrett in CDs because he hates our prefolds and flats, so we buy backup sposies for him.

preview image

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 4, 2011 7:56 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I keep wanting to do the cloth diapering but everytime I turn around there's just more info and it's overwhelming.

I know NO ONE here who does. NO ONE. My SIL is planning on it but she's due 2 months after me.

I still am not sure about it - the path of least resistance just appeals, especially with everything at my job etc going on, I just don't have the patience NOW - that's not going to get better AFTER birth.

sigh That said, I found this website that has some decent directions - http://www.diaperco.com/store/pg/82-Folding-Instructions.html

I won't do it if I have to go to the all in ones, gdiapers (outrageous where I can buy them here) - the cost benefit is just not there.

Posted: Mar 7, 2011 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

I have also seen newborn cloth diaper rental packages at a few stores. I know Granola Babies has a couple options. I can't remember where else I have seen them at...

http://www.granolababies.com/diaper-packages/cat_87.html

Posted: Mar 7, 2011 10:49 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Pharm, I think I remember you talking about knowing how to sew. This is a great deal if you have the time or energy to repair the elastic and hook & loop tabs.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=2850

But, I have at least a couple dozen flats I will be sending your way, so don't stress too much!

Posted: Mar 7, 2011 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: JaniceO

Janice -

Thanks for the heads up on those diapers. I went ahead and ordered some - worth a shot. Even if only a couple are workable, it's still a great deal.

And thanks again! I did message you too.

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Mar 8, 2011 7:32 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Thanks Happy.

Brooke, good luck today.

Dylan is almost back to normal. He started eating solids on Friday afternoon and he was very hungry. He's been sleeping through the night this past two nights. Over the weekend he woke up once very early in the morning and go back to sleep until 11 on Saturday and until 9:30 on Sunday. We couldn't believe we got to sleep in two days in a row, lol.

I'm the one that is having trouble sleeping. I keep waiking up and having a hard time to go back to sleep.

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

Posted: Mar 11, 2011 8:18 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Pharm, I didn't gain anything for the first year and a half, probably because Faith was being breastfed (or I was pumping). It got bad after I quit pumping. Really bad... The dr tested my hormones and thyroid but it all was normal.

At first, I thought it was just that I needed to adjust to not breastfeeding, but I would gain 5-10 lbs in a week at times! Plus, we bought an incliner trainer and I would do a tough workout on the incliner trainer every other day, cut my carbs back really far, and I was still gaining like that. Once the Mirena came out, it stopped. I even stopped exercising and went back to my normal diet and wasn't gaining anymore. I gained over 40 lbs in less than 2 months. It was horrible. I lost a bit before getting pregnant but will have to wait until Grace is born to lose the rest. I definitely notice the different the weight makes with this pregnancy too. So much more uncomfortable.

I wouldn't stress about the Mirena though, its a side effect, but not a common one from what I have heard. And, if you notice the reaction, its an easy fix. It also affected my sex drive too, which frustrated DH a lot. I won't be getting it again after Grace is born.

Posted: Mar 11, 2011 8:27 PM Go to message in response to: JaniceO

Janice - Well good to know though. I mean, if I have any similar effects.

And I got those BumGenius diapers today that you had posted a link to - 12 of them. Only one was stained and most seemed in GREAT shape. So woohoo! Thanks for the heads up. All 12 are large, but hey, that's all good!

Thanks again for the heads up!

NatashaAB Posts : 353 Registered: 10/6/08
Posted: Mar 12, 2011 10:01 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

For whoever reads my blog, I had to switch my settings to private.

I post on another forum and I have barely posted at all lately but someone on there used my personal problems to insult me and mock me so I decided to switch my settings to prevent that shit from happening.

If you want to continue reading it, email me and I'll invite you to be a reader. Sorry for the hassel.

<3

Nat (23) Nate (33) L&E- March 17, 2010 A- January 26, 2011

Posted: Mar 12, 2011 10:17 PM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Nat - Sent you a PM with my email.

PTG

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Mar 13, 2011 9:06 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Nat- I'm so sorry about people's ignorance and stupidity. Some people are just pukes. But we love you here and support you. HUGS!!

So we told the family last night!! It was SOOO fun! We went to dinner to celebrate my b-day and SIL's b-day at Spaghetti warehouse- SUCH a fun place!! After we ordered our food, DH stood up and thanked everyone for coming and celebrating the b-days and such, then wanted to let everyone know that we were expecting. You should have seen MIL!! She was screaming and jumping up and down, all the other tables looked at us wondering what in the world was going on! haha My mom was clapping and screaming, it was hilarious!! Then other people from other tables were giving us thumbs up! haha But the whole family was very happy and excited and I feel SOO much better that the news is out to at least this group. They were predicting boy too b/c of the Heartbeat! haha Such a FUN night!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Brooke - That's awesome that everyone was so excited! It really makes it fun to share the news! :-)

Countdown over here is seriously happening. Six weeks is the current countdown. Eeek!!! It's really crazy - awesome but crazy! LOL

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Mar 13, 2011 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Brooke, so exciting!

I can picture everyone being so thrilled! So happy for you!
We are getting ready for our trip to Catalina Island this coming Saturday. We'll be celebrating our first anniversary. Hope everyone had/has a nice weekend :)

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

MrsSy, I am sorry Dylan is sick again. He seems to be getting colds frequently. Have you tried adding probiotics into his diet? I know that seems to help me fight off stuff better. I also was able to escape getting the cold both DH and Faith got by taking Fermented Cod Liver oil daily. Its not the best tasting stuff, but it worked amazingly well. I hide it in OJ usually.

Pharm, your DH sounds like my DH. He wants very specific lists and it drives me nuts. For example, clean the kitchen is his morning task. He takes this to mean, unload the dishwasher if it needs it, load it with the dirty dishes and start it. If something doesn't fit, he leaves it sitting for the next day. And if it doesn't go in the dishwasher (certain pots, pans or good knives) he just leaves them either on the counter or in the sink. If he isn't sure where something goes, he leaves it on the counter, he doesn't wipe up the water around the sink, doesn't wipe the counters off, doesn't wipe the stove. So whenever I go in the kitchen it feels like there is so much for me to deal with.

If I could just get him to finish his tasks and pick up after himself, then I would have more time to actually do the cleaning tasks, but its almost impossible to do both. The cleaning service has been great for that. DH is starting to help with picking up more and I think once he builds the habits, it will be easier. I keep trying to get him into the Flylady routines to help but he is resisting. I just can't be the only one doing it or it doesn't work and he makes fun of me!!

Agape, I am 25 weeks today too. I realized after my last appointment last week this is the last time I have appointments 4 weeks apart. Starting at 28 weeks, I go every 2 weeks then at 36 weeks I go weekly. That really made me realize how fast the end if going to go!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine