Meeting with Priest

Online Users: 1,234 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 4

aea1 Posts : 27 Registered: 10/10/10
Meeting with Priest
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 11:34 AM

Hi Fellow Brides-to-be,
I am a Methodist marrying a Catholic. We are meeting with my fiance's priest this Sunday afternoon. Can anyone fill me in on what to expect? Do I need to bring anything? Will it be a short info meeting or will actual plans be made? What kind of questions will he ask me? My fiance doesn't really know what to expect either. I realize that every parish will be different, but any advice you can give me will help.
Thanks!

P.S. While I did not know hardly anything about the Catholic faith prior to meeting my fiance, I have made it a point to learn about and respect the faith and have attended mass at my fiance's church several times. I also go to a weekly Catholic Bible study lead by a friend of mine at the university I attend. That being said, I am not looking to convert to Catholicism. I am not saying I won't ever convert someday, but I am not ready right now.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Re: Meeting with Priest
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: aea1

Hey there! I'm a Catholic theologian who is going through the process myself right now. You're right that every parish is different with what they cover in the first meeting. I would bring a pen, maybe a small note pad, and perhaps your calendar.

I recently posted some material on the marriage prep classes in the august 2011 thread. You may find it helpful to stop by and take a gander.

While I can't speak for the attitude of the particular priest you will see, the Catholic Church in general is open to interreligious marriages and is willing to work with pastors of other denominations for weddings. You should know, however, that there is also an understanding that your future children would be raised in the Catholic faith.

Let me know either by personal message or this thread if you have any other questions. It's kind of my career and all, so I'd be happy to help you however I can.

Also, I think it's awesome that you're open to going to bible studies and worship services of denominations other than your own. Different Christian denominations can do so much more together than we do seperatly.

aea1 Posts : 27 Registered: 10/10/10
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

WellWisher,
Your posts in the Aug 2011 thread about the marriage prep classes were very helpful!
I did already know about the children being raised Catholic. That is alright with me.
"Different Christian denominations can do so much more together than we do separately."--I agree!
If I have any more questions I will certainly let you know! Thank you!

JBC123 Posts : 16 Registered: 6/1/10
Posted: Mar 2, 2011 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: aea1

You do not have to convert to Catholicism to be married in the Catholic church.

I'm going through the same situation and just met with the priest of my fiance's church. I met with him by myself (we're not getting married until 2012 so we've got a lot of time yet) and it was wonderful. I really like this particular parish and the young father I met with is very sweet and we had a lovely meeting. We talked and laughed for about 2 hours. I was made to feel welcome and I am now planning on going through RCIA.

That being said, don't be afraid of meeting with the priest. I hope your parish is as warm and welcoming as ours is. It makes me that much happier in my decision to be married in the church as my family is non-practicing in their religion and I've always been searching for a place to "belong".

Your parish will probably have Pre-Cana classes or pre-marriage classes. They're usually done six months prior to the wedding.

Good luck with your wedding!

HananaBanana Posts : 11 Registered: 3/3/11
Posted: Mar 4, 2011 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: JBC123

thanks for this thread, I am of to the Aug 2011 for more insight, we totally need to finalize this aspect of our Marriage. sigh.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine