DIY Veil?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
DIY Veil?
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 4:58 PM

Did anyone make their veil? I'm SHOCKED at how expensive a piece of tulle and a comb is! My mom brought up the idea of possibly making my veil, and I was wondering if any of you ladies had done so? I'm only wearing my veil for the ceremony, and then replacing with a simple pearl comb for the reception. I wanted a thinner width cathedral length veil with pearl beading on the comb, but something like that costs $100+ to buy! I'm thinking we wouldn't spend more than 20 bucks making one, right? Please tell me I'm not crazy lol!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: DIY Veil?
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

CatStandish made hers I think.

I bought a veil that wasn't connected to anything and connected it myself. Well I didn't buy it, my MIL had a box of them from her party store.

What I did was attach it to the comb with velcro so that I didn't have to remove the comb because it would have messed up my hair.

http://www.do-it-yourself-weddings.com/making-a-bridal-veil.html

But here are directions for making a veil - just google it and tons come up.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

I did :) I actually bought a plain veil from David's bridal that already had the comb sewn in, because I knew that was beyond my skill level. (Nala got a plain veil off of eBay)

I embellished my veil with several hundred swarovski pearls (from eBay) and I probably spent at least 10 plus hours working on it, if not more. I love my veil. It's completely unique. I actually ended up loving the design of my veil so much more than the ones in the store.

note: if you do this, get some tulle circles, clear thread (nylon usually), and some plastic cheap beads the same size as what you're going to be working with. Practice on these circles to both get used to working on tulle and how to secure things and to determine your pattern

Here is a thread showing some other DIY Veil:

http://www.brides.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=580787

And yes...some pictures are no longer available.

Edited by: CatStandish on Feb 21, 2011 12:02 PM

Misty

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 9:14 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I bought a veil that was 'made', i.e. cut and shaped with a gather, and then I sewed it to a comb.

I'm not sure how you find them though online.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

Definitely look at ebay.

this is what I just found for $15

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chapel-Cathedral-Royal-Wedding-Bridal-Cut-Edge-Veil-/370460925536?pt=US_Veils&var=&hash=item95036ea5ae

You can choose the accessory and length

For the record, my veil was fingertip length. the veil cost $50. I spent about $20 on the beads/supplies. The veils I had liked previously were in the $200 range, so I felt like I really got a good deal.

Veils are freakin expensive!

Misty

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Definitely look at craigslist, eBay , and kijiji. I found my veil 2nd hand for $10 and the bead work on it matches my dress perfectly! I couldn't even make it for that price.

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 1:06 AM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to check prices, esp on etsy (never thought of that!) I would love to spend time with my mom making my veil, but if I can find one for the same price as buying the material without all the effort of making it, im sold lol!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

WoodlandBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/6/11
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 11:03 AM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

I am going to make my own veil too. I want a simple one-tier down the back(elbow length) I am likely going to make my own pattern (I sew) and decorate it to match my dress. I'll have the look of something that would cost $100's at a bridal store and for about $25.

charles456 Posts : 1 Registered: 3/12/11
Posted: Mar 12, 2011 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

Thanks for this nice psot

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine