Not having a registry

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

smalltownlady Posts : 16 Registered: 8/18/10
Not having a registry
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 12:15 PM

Invitations have gone out, and RSVP's are coming in. Wonderful :)

However, I am hearing from my family and his that they are upset that we have not registered anywhere.

We chose not to register because we do not need anything- we are already combining his stuff and mine.

When people ask about the registry I just reply that "we are fortunate and do not need anything. We are simply looking forward to your presence at the celebration of our marriage"

But I have now been told by 3 separate guests that we are being "selfish and difficult" by not having a registry. I told those guests point blank that we don't expect a wedding gift. And then I find myself apologizing for being selfish like this.

DF and I went to a department store last weekend to look to see if we could come up with some kind of registry, just to get people off our backs, but after walking around for awhile, we came up with 3 items that would be nice to have. That's it- we really don't need anything.

But I'm still getting e-mails and calls asking for our registry. Argh- I never thought not asking for presents would be this difficult.

Thanks for letting me rant :)

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: Not having a registry
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

If people insist, tell them you like being suprised.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

If people keep asking, tell them you're registered at the grocery store and the gas station! LOL

J/K I couldn't resist. But I agree with MsD. Tell them you like surprises!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 3:39 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

Dear STL,

Just stand your ground. These folks don't know how to act around someone who is refreshingly non-greedy.

"I appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you at the wedding."

PinUpGirlGettin... Posts : 6 Registered: 2/17/11
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I cannot believe people would think you're being selfish for not registering! They can always give you a gift card!

AnnaKay12 Posts : 17 Registered: 12/20/10
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

I can't believe people think you're "selfish" for NOT having a registry! That's crazy! All you can do is say, "I'm sorry you feel that way, but FH and I are not registered anywhere," and leave it at that. The people who keep complaining should either select a gift of their choice, not bring a gift, or suck it up and bring cash ;)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine