Please Help and Critique my new website -UPDATED with 2nd Design/Link (2/9)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Re: Please Help and Critique my new website.
Posted: Feb 10, 2011 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: Claree

Yep, Howard, you were right! I just googled "magical moments photography" and that's what I got. Whoops!

The bets site looks great. I like how big the pictures are, you can see details without straining your eyes. I would say the pictures change a little too slowly, your logo is a little hard to read at times (maybe outlining the letters in a lighter color so it sticks out more against the dark grey?" and sometimes the buttons and logo get in the way of the subject. Other than that it looks really great!

P.S. I was looking through your pictures some more and I noticed that some of the brides' heads are cut off. I'm viewing it in Firefox if that's any help to you.

Edited by: WellWisher on Feb 10, 2011 5:22 PM

P.P.S. Just noticed that problem is fixed when I go into full screen mode...Wow I've got my marbles in the jar today...

Edited by: WellWisher on Feb 10, 2011 5:32 PM

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Feb 10, 2011 6:19 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

Well Wisher,

Thank you. I have to admit it read your first critique a couple of times and it just didn't make sense to me. I kinda thought you went to the old site and I guess now you can see why I want to update it.

Rest assured that for beta test, I'm keeping the site in a window. When it goes live, I will have it default to full screen. As this is a template, I'm not sure I can do anything about the menu covering up the photos. Perhaps I just have to be more careful about the photos I use.

The logo is a big issue. I'm not convinced that having it blend into a photo is a bad thing. There is a contact page available with all the info and even a contact form.

Claree,

Nice Catch! I've changed the text to read "I belong to three different photography associations - two of them national and one local, each with hundreds of qualified photographers I can call upon in an emergency. In over eight years of wedding photography, I've never missed a wedding due to illness. How many people can say that about their jobs?"

Does that solve your concern?

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Howard-

The changes look great. I definitely noticed the quicker picture time frame and I like it! Also, the darker background instead of white for the vertical pictures make a huge difference - one that I hadn't realized before.

Looking at the pics - I think someone else said this too - some of the horizontal pics have the heads of the people cut off. I don't know if you can go in and fix each pic individually or if you can make the pics the size to fit with a 1/2 inch border so that way you know they'll be displayed correctly. I saw this in the Romantic Moments and Groom and his Buddies section - but there may be more.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Feb 11, 2011 9:49 AM

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 7:16 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I think you should refer to the work you put in at this site.

It makes you seem compassionate and in touch with the bridal community. I think that is a great selling point, to be able to say you help brides and are practiced in solving problems that arise during wedding planning.

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

How's this added to the end of the paragraph:

It always amazes me how people meet. I regularly submit their stories to local Chicago bridal magazine. Many times my clients have been surprised to see some of their wedding photos and story published in those bridal magazines. I was one of the first Certified Professional Wedding Photographers in the Chicago area if not the United States. I'm also a member of Professional Photographers of America, Professional Photographers of Northern Illinois, Digital Wedding Photographer, National Association of Catering Executives and the Association of Bridal Consultants. I can regularly be found on Brides.com answering brides' wedding photography and planning questions.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 2:38 AM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

I like that Howard.

LCF - That was a great suggestion!

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 4:38 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Thanks!

I know I enjoy reading Howard's comments and think that his prospective clients should see all the thought and effort he puts into his work

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

LCF,

I know I didn't explicitly tell you it was a good suggestion, but I thought well enough of it to make the change. Thank you.

I too wish that some people can see all the effort I put into my work. Not only that but they can understand that is the difference between a $500 photographer and me.

ToHaveandToHold... Posts : 2 Registered: 2/14/11
Re: Please Help and Critique my new website -UPDATED with 2nd Design/Link (2/9)
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Hi,

As a professional graphic/web designer I found it a little difficult to navigate. I would make it more user friendly by having the pages organized better. I found myself clicking on too many pages that took me off in a different direction.

Some of the images seemed to take too long to open. I would maybe reduce the DPI and even the size. They don't need to be quite so huge and you can still show case your great pictures up close. I would also make the website itself more appealing; softer OR on black to give it some sophistication.

I would also offer people the option to pay online with their credit cards via Paypal.

Just my opinion. I like the Photography, but the site still need some work.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine