Choosing the dress without trying it on?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Choosing the dress without trying it on?
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 3:07 PM

I have a dilemma. My wedding is August 20th and I need to order my dress by the end of the month. (I'm already pushing it kinda late!)

I found a dress I absolutely love, but the problem is that I've never tried it on. (The sample size was too small - every store we went to had a size 6-8 in it, I'm a 14) Its lightweight, fun, perfect for our outdoor august (HOT!) wedding. (Its the Maggie Sottero Destiny if anyone wanted to know) I have gotten alot of feedback from friends and bridal consultants that this dress WILL look good on me since I am curvy - it also has a corset back to help (most mermaid dresses ive found zip up the back)

I did try on plenty of dresses that fit me. There is one in particular that everyone LOVES, including my mom who is paying for my dress. She wants me to get the dress that I've tried on, that I know looks good on me (It does look good on me, just not the style of dress that I love!) However, the dress that everyone loves is also more of a ball gown (big and HOT!).

So I'm caught in the middle. What would you guys do? Go with the dress you love but have no idea how it will look on you? Or go with the safer choice - the dress that looks good on you but you dont really like?

(I will try to add pictures, but half the time they never show up)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Re: Choosing the dress without trying it on?
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

First of all, congratulations!

If your concern is being too hot in the dress, I can't imagine the dresses being any different. They both go all the way to the floor and I might think the mermaid dress would he warmer because your butt and thighs would be a lot closer together in a more confined area. The Maggie dresses tend to have lots of layers of fabric so I don't think the mermaid would be any cooler.

The picture of you in the dress is gorgeous! You are a beautiful woman. I don't think you would be "settling" if you went for the dress you actually tried on.

How comfortable are you with your body? The reason I ask is a lot of women (like me) are comfortable in their skin but would rather keep some parts (I'm self conscious about my thighs for example) out of the spotlight. A mermaid dress would def point directly to the butt hips thigh area, especially with the flounces. There would be no hiding or downplaying that area. I would be personally scared to death of that, but if you are comfortable enough with your body than all the power to you!

Have you tried on a mermaid style before? I would go back to the salon, try on a mermaid dress in the same color as the one you like, and take an inventory in the mirror. Then I would put the dress you actually want against your body and do your best to imagine it all put together. If you love it and know it's the one, then go for it. But if you "just don't know" or feel the least bit anxious, then go for the one you have on in the picture.

The reason I say to go for the safe dress if you feel anxious is because you are short on time and your first reaction is usually the most accurate, and since you're short on time you would be stuck in a dress you feel completely self conscious in with an already stressful day. I wouldn't want to think people would be staring directly at my butt while I was walking down the aisle, for example. I want to be thinking about how amazing that moment is!

I hope this helps. Sorry if it doesn't.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

I too would be concerned with going with a dress that I hadn't tried on.

Have you tried any mermaid style dresses on - I know I know, the OPs asked this too.

Try going to Davids to see if they have any of your size in a mermaid style to get a feel for the dress. That would be my suggestion.

If not, I wouldn't order a dress in a style that I haven't tried on - I just wouldn't. Unless you are prepared to get it in, hate it and buy another real quick off the rack.

That's always an option.

Good luck!

PS I'm also with WW that I don't think either dress is going to be particularly cool in the summer.

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

PPS Also, the dress you tried on does look GREAT - and I'm not even a fan of the ruching fabric in the skirt. LOL

But if you are always going to wonder what if, keep looking.

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 6:25 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I have tried on some mermaid-ish dresses, but nothing like the fit-n-flare style of the maggie sottero dress. The problem is that almost every dress shop I've gone to, they don't have any of the type of dress I like in my size :( I've been able to squeeze into a few, but because they are SO small, of course the dress looks awful on.

I definitely dont have any body issues, maybe only a little with my arms, but those are a work in progress. I guess you could say i like the fit-n-flare/dropped waist style (not necessarily mermaid) because it shows off my favorite part of me (the booty! lol)

I have "held up" the maggie dress in front of me (picture below - please excuse my awkward pose lol, this was taken a year ago when I first started trying on dresses. I haven't been able to get that dress out of my head!) I did try on another dress also that had a similar form-fitting shape for example (but it was possibly one of the heaviest dresses I tried on)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited by: PinkBear on Feb 12, 2011 3:26 PM

Wedding Countdown Ticker

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

I think you look great in the last picture. Since you're confident with your body, you look awesome in a similar style, and you've been thinking about the dress for a year, I say go for it!

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 8:50 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

Yep I'm with WW. That style does look great on you - makes a difference with the pics - you know?

Just again, be sure that you have an alternative plan if needed.

Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine