Do I need a DJ?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

theoneandonly22 Posts : 14 Registered: 5/3/10
Do I need a DJ?
Posted: Feb 5, 2011 10:25 AM

I'm getting married soon, and having a cocktail reception. The reception will take place from 3pm-5:30pm. I thought I needed a DJ for the ceremony because I want to walk down the aisle to a modern R&B song, and the park where I am getting married requires an insured person to do this.

For the reception, though? Do I need a DJ?

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Do I need a DJ?
Posted: Feb 5, 2011 10:30 AM Go to message in response to: theoneandonly22

Do you want a DJ? Do you want music? You could put music on an iPOD and have a speaker set up for the reception.

So I would decide if you want music. If you do, I'd probably do an iPOD setup.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Feb 6, 2011 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: theoneandonly22

Alot of people say the DJ can be cut if you're on a budget or trying to cut costs, but I really think (depending on the type of wedding/reception you are having) the DJ can be a crucial part. If you want more people to be on the dance floor then sitting at tables, then yes you do need a DJ. An ipod can play music, but the DJ/MC is the person who will motivate the crowd. An ipod can't sense if everyone ran off the dancefloor, but the DJ can switch up the song right away to get people back on the dance floor. They'll know what type of songs to play and when. So I say if you want a lot of dancing at your wedding, then definitly go with the DJ.

The DJ is also the person who usually announces the wedding party, first dances, etc. If you already have someone who has MC skills that's great, but if not you might want to get a DJ.

The other thing the DJ will provide is the sound equipment. Renting can add up (plus the set-up, takedown will be time consuming) so that's another reason I'd go with a DJ.

If your wedding is going to be more low-key and quiet, then you probably could get away with out one.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 6, 2011 10:08 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

I took her post to say it was more low key, but I will say this - if you know the guests will get on the floor they will get on the floor. My BIL's wedding had an iPOD and everyone was dancing.

BUT I LOVED my DJ. And I'm glad we had one. :-P

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Feb 6, 2011 8:27 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I also agree that it sounds like she is having a low-key wedding, but just wanted to point out some of the things that come with the DJ that she wouldn't be getting, if she didn't want those things (does that make sense, LOL?)

True, some people will get out there no matter what's playing, but think of how many times we've all been at weddings when the floor is packed, then the song changes and you would think there was a bomb threat it cleared out so fast! I think an ipod would be easy if all your guests liked the same music, but if there's a variety of tastes then it could get tricky.

beachgal2004 Posts : 80 Registered: 2/6/07
Posted: Oct 31, 2011 8:39 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I agree you can put it on a ipod or something like that you don't exactly need a dj.

:) love ya

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine