Sunday weddings

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 13

shilo2012 Posts : 14 Registered: 1/11/11
Sunday weddings
Posted: Jan 26, 2011 2:27 PM

I was just wondering what everyone thought of Sunday weddings? We were thinking of switching it to a Sunday from a Saturday. The reception would of course be ending around 9. It will be in July, so hopefully that will help guests.
I just dont know if that will mean more people wont come, or they will leave the reception early because of work Monday, and then we are left with an empty room!!!
The reason we are thinking this is cost. We have the $$ to do it on a Saturday, but that is cutting some people we would LIKE to invite(not family). But with doing it on a Sunday, there are discounts that could offset the xtra guests.

Any insights?

Wedding Tickers

evie19 Posts : 35 Registered: 1/16/11
Re: Sunday weddings
Posted: Jan 26, 2011 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

One of my close friends had a wedding last summer on a Thursday night (she planned late and for a multitude of religious and practical reasons, thursday was the only day they could book).
They were definitely happy to save money that way and everything was gorgeous.
There were a few missing spots here and there in a few of the tables and people did not stay as long as they would have on a Saturday night.
But overall it was a great wedding!

If you can include people that you really really would like to share in your day, I'd say go for it. People that really love you are going to be happy to be there no matter what day or time it is.
Especially if you are ending at 9! I don't see what the problem is, that is early.

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: evie19

Yea, its not too much earlier. If it was going to be on Saturday, it was going to be from 6-11 for the reception, and the ceremony at 4. But I think for a Sunday 9 isnt too bad, especially if most people live in the area. Ive already called on of my BM who lives in NC(we are getting married in a chicago suburb) and she said it wouldnt be an issue. I may send out a feeler email to a few people we are definately inviting. I love the idea of a Saturday party, but also the $$ saving of a Sunday party, lol.

Wedding Tickers

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Jan 26, 2011 11:51 PM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

Things you want to consider is church(for those that go) and work. Sounds like you got that covered. If most people live in the area, than I would say go for it.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

It's one of those cost benefit analysis things - Figure out who might not be able to come on a sunday - how does that weigh out against those who you wouldn't be able to invite on the Saturday?

If it required me to have to take a day off of work, it just depends on whether or not I would be able to make it.

If I have kids in day care, etc - that also affects that decision.

If I'm 15 minutes away - party on. My husband though has to get up at 3:30 AM in the morning for work, so we probably wouldn't stay.

Now, you can't please everyone and I'm not saying you should - these are just things to consider.

If you are worried about anyone in particular, then I'd definitely shoot them an email so you can look at it again from the POV of well on saturday - they can come and on Sunday - they can come.

And go from there - it's your & FH's decision. Good luck!

josie1986 Posts : 18 Registered: 1/3/11
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

I agree with CheetahAngel, as long as you give your guests enough time, all the important ones will come. This wedding is for you, not your guests. BTW - I'm planning a Sunday wedding.

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: josie1986

Yes, your wedding is for you to get married. But if there is someone you really want there who can't make it if it's changed - then you MAY want to consider that.

I think there is NOTHING wrong with a Sunday wedding.

I do think that 9 PM is later for a reception on a Sunday to end and that people will leave early considering work tomorrow - which was one of the OPs concerns.

If having certain people THERE is important to you, then you consider that - which is why she's considering a Sunday wedding in the first place.

Just because someone is getting married, having a baby/bridal shower, etc and I can't make it because of work, etc - doesn't mean I don't care enough to come. As a guest, it's also my decision to weigh what I can/can't afford and be able to do. Not everyone gets paid leave.

For example, if we have friends who get married later this year that require us to take off a day of work to come - we'd try to do it but as I'm going on maternity leave shortly and DH is going on FMLA (both using some if not all vacation days to do so) , I don't know that we'll have the vacation days. That doesn't mean we don't want to be there, it means we have to make decisions best suited for us.

Does this mean you change your plans to accommodate ONE person, of course not. But I also think it's selfish to assume if a guest really wants to be there they'll make it. Sometimes, it's just not doable.

And taking the attitude of - if you really wanted to be there you could - only makes someone feel guilty for things that are often beyond their control (if you are voicing it).

Sure, I thought there were some people that could have made our wedding if they had managed their money a little better - but that's their business not mine. I simply said, I'm so sorry you won't be able to make it.

AlwaysSublime Posts : 28 Registered: 9/17/08
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

My fiance and I are planning a Sunday wedding. The ceremony will be at 11am at a park, with a lunch reception at a local restaurant at 1pm. A lunch reception combined with having it on a Sunday will definitely save you money over a Saturday dinner. I have found that you can save on the ceremony location as well by having it on a Sunday. Some guests will have to travel about 2 1/2 hours to the location, so we are planning on ending the reception around 5pm. That will give them time to drive home, relax a little and go to bed with enough sleep to wake up and go to work on Monday.

AnnaKay12 Posts : 17 Registered: 12/20/10
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

As long as I wasn't traveling from out of town, I would be okay with attending a wedding on a Sunday. If I were an out of town guest, I would likely decline the invitation.

Since you plan on ending the reception at 9, you may want to prepare yourself to see some of the guests leaving early. Especially if they have work the next day or have a long drive home. If all the important people you want at your wedding aren't out of towners, then I say go for it! I wouldn't mind staying until 9 if I lived nearby.

PatricksLove Posts : 26 Registered: 3/6/08
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

I'm all for Sunday weddings, mainly because they are SO much cheaper! Our wedding is a Sunday with the ceremony around 1 and the reception ending at 6. Most of my family is driving 4-5 hours so that puts them home in time for a good amount of sleep.
I also think Sunday weddings are a little more casual, which fits our personalities better.
You just have to decide which is more important to you - saving the money and inviting more people or spending the extra money for Saturday and inviting less people...
My vote is for Sunday.

Patrick and Meagan <3 March 4, 2012

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

I agree with most of the responses, but I really agree with Pharm (and it's not because we're both pregnant!). Sometimes situations arise where you may WANT to attend an event, but you just CAN'T.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with a Sunday wedding, especially if it's to save money. However, you may see people leave a little earlier or not even come. Depends on their own personal situation.

My suggestion would be to sit down with your guest list and go over who you think would have an issue. If the good outweighs the bad, then go for it girl!!

Posted: Feb 5, 2011 10:08 AM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

Thanks all I think we have come up with a solution!! We are doing it on Friday. This way, we still get the discounts and hopefully more can come since its the start of the weekend, instead of the end of it!! Now,it may still be iffy for some out of towners, but I did call most of the OOTers that I def want to be there and they said any day would be fine since its in the summer, and they have over a year to make plans!!!Plus, I was having an issue with partying on a Sunday, lol. So, I get the discount, the party atmosphere, and the xtra guests!! Plus with the discounts on the hall and ceremony site, we can upgrade out package and STILL be under a normal Sat wedding!!!WOOHOO!!!!

Wedding Tickers

Posted: Feb 5, 2011 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

Now,it may still be iffy for some out of towners, but I did call most of the OOTers that I def want to be there and they said any day would be fine since its in the summer, and they have over a year to make plans!!!

Great! You know that most can make it and that's all you can do! Congrats!

angela4mitchell Posts : 3 Registered: 11/8/12
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 1:55 AM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

In my opinion Sunday is perfect to host the receptions. It will be more comfortable for your dear and nears. Its sure that the wedding banquet hall will be in crowd if you choose it. The main advantage of week days is that you will get better deals in the rent.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine