Palladium vs Platinum

Online Users: 1,317 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

DocsGyrl402 Posts : 10 Registered: 2/2/08
Palladium vs Platinum
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 10:07 PM

Hey ladies. Here lately I've been hearing alot about this new metal Palladium. Is it better than platinum? I'd like to know your thoughts.

Bling3 Posts : 54 Registered: 12/18/07
Re: Palladium vs Platinum
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

A co-worker of mine has it and said they do not care for it. They said that you can not get the ring resized if need be. He had to buy a new ring. He said for the amount of money he spent he regrets not going with Platinum.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: Bling3

oh wow thanks for the info.

NEgirl Posts : 1 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

Palladium shares some of the same properties of platinum, because it's an alloy of platinum and something else (usually gold). It doesn't have to be treated with rhodium (like white gold) but it is harder than white gold. My ring has hand engraving on it, and although palladium was much cheaper, we went for platinum because it is harder (so it will take much longer for the engraving to wear down). So I think it really depends on what kind of ring you're looking for and your personality. I was not willing to do the rhodium thing but I wanted silver, so I ended up with platinum. Hope that helps!

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 11:44 PM Go to message in response to: NEgirl

Hi thanks that helps alot. One of my biggest concerns was I don't want to have to keep getting my ring dipped and etc. Which is the reason why I want platinum. I think Im sure my ring will be platinum. Thanks for the input.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:17 PM Go to message in response to: NEgirl

Palladium is NOT an alloy.  Palladium, along with platinum, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium form a group of elements referred to as the platinum group metals (PGMs).  Palladium is an element (Pd, atomic number 46) just like platinum, gold and silver.  People should really do some research before speaking!!!

elginwerwrqadfas Posts : 1 Registered: 1/2/09
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 5:31 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

yes, yes RESEARCH!!!

None of you people has a CLUE!

Google "Palladium Characteristics"!

Learn something!

You might even learn that, at about one FIFTH the price*, it's about equivalent to Platinum in wear and ductility, non-tarnishable... OMG... etc etc etc
the hassle I went through to tell you this...

... I'm DONE!

*THAT'S why they want to sell you platinum!

"NEW" metal ? !?!?! Only as old as the planet, dear!

Edited by: elginwerwrqadfas on Jan 2, 2009 5:33 PM

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: elginwerwrqadfas

WTF???lol

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Hey, it's been awhile since we had anyone really rude on the boards! It's about time we had more! I love a good trainwreck.

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

I hope this helps.

14K &18K Palladium White Gold

Is a blend of Gold with the remaining percentage of the alloy
containing Palladium and possibly other metals with the exception of
Nickel. This alloy has many of the benefits of platinum and fewer of
the problems associated with Nickel based white Gold alloys.

The 14K & 18K Palladium gold alloys have no Nickel, and therefore
none of the Nickel allergy problems that some people experience, as
well this alloy has none of the corrosion and durability problems
associated with the Nickel alloys. The one downside that should be
mentioned is that the Palladium & Gold alloys are quite a bit
softer than the traditional Nickel alloys.

As an added
bonus, the Palladium & Gold alloys are quite white and many people
feel that they do not need rhodium plating. Our opinion is that both of
these blends will look better with rhodium plating.

Palladium is a member of the platinum group of metals and has wear and working properties similar to platinum.

950 Palladium

950 Palladium is by far the whitest of the non-platinum white metals

This
Palladium blend containing 95% Palladium is a very white option and
will not need rhodium plating. Because there is no Nickel used in the
blend, there are no Nickel allergy concerns and also none of the
corrosion problems associated with the Nickel alloys.

It should be mentioned that items cast in 950 Palladium are somewhat
soft and prone to scratching, bending, etc. Additionally, 950 Palladium
has some specific metallurgical characteristics that make it a less
than perfect candidate for all designs, specifically designs with cast
in place center crowns, cast in place open/airy gallery elements, etc.

rokstok Posts : 1 Registered: 10/27/10
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: NEgirl

"Palladium shares some of the same properties of platinum, because it's an alloy of platinum and something else (usually gold). It doesn't have to be treated with rhodium (like white gold) but it is harder than white gold. My ring has hand engraving on it, and although palladium was much cheaper, we went for platinum because it is harder (so it will take much longer for the engraving to wear down). So I think it really depends on what kind of ring you're looking for and your personality. I was not willing to do the rhodium thing but I wanted silver, so I ended up with platinum. Hope that helps!"

Although many of these feeds have the best intentions, there are some mistakes in the posts about palladium. Palladium is a Platinum Group Metal, alongside ruthernium, rhodium, palladium osmium, iridium and platinum. They all have similar chemical and physical properties. That means that Palladium shares some characteristics as platinum does. For one thing, it is not an alloy of platinum. It is a naturally occuring metal that is 95% pure. Because of its purity, it is also hypoallergenic, meaning that it won't irritate or discolor sensitive skin.
The post above me is correct, in that palladium does not have to be re-rhodium plated like white gold because it is a naturally white metal.

Additionally, palladium is a new metal to the jewelry market, but not a "new" metal to the world. It has been used in other applications like electronics, dentistry, photography and water treatment. Palladium was recently introduced to the jewelry industry, and as such, many jewelers are not familiar with it, and thus are reluctant to work with it. Experience with the metal suggests that it can be porous (meaning there are tiny air bubbles in the metal that make the metal more prone to cracking or breaking).
Palladium is also lighter than platinum, because it isnt as dense. For people who are not used to wearing jewelry, the weight of platinum may be irritating or annoying. Palladium would be a better choice for those people. In comparison, palladium is about as heavy as white gold.

Lastly,palladium is not "much cheaper" than white gold. It is generally "on par" with white gold in terms of price. It is, however, much more affordable than platinum. It is a nice alternative to white gold with some of the benefits of platinum, but without the price. If you are still considering palladium, make sure your jeweler is comfortable working with the metal to ensure a smooth relationship with your ring and the jeweler.

AlmostThere25 Posts : 8 Registered: 11/17/10
Posted: Nov 17, 2010 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: rokstok

Old thread but curious.. I was looking up palladium as a more affordable metal but read that it develops what is called a patina over time. Are these rings difficult to care for? Are they as shiny and nice looking as white gold or platinum rings? Will they retain that shine without constant cleaning?

kathyarora Posts : 9 Registered: 1/5/11
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: AlmostThere25

My FI did a lot of research on palladium since platinum was too much for him, but he wanted to make sure he wasn't getting something worse than platinum or white gold. Turns out palladium and platinum are very similar, except palladium is a little bit more brittle and about half the weight of platinum. If you want the best, then platinum is the way to go, but white gold is not the next best thing. White gold is only 58% pure gold and white gold isn't really white. It is plated with Rhodium to make it look white. That's why white gold rings turn yellow after the Rhodium wears off and needs to be replated frequently. So, since palladium and white gold were about the same price and palladium is 95% pure and does not need to be replated or cause allergies, he got me a palladium e-ring. He now wants a palladium wedding band or a tungsten wedding band for himself now. He's thinking tungsten because it is scracth proof. However, he found out Benchmark brand rings have a lifetime warranty, which include free polishing and re-sizing for life. He also found a site called larsonjewelers.com which carries a ton of palladium wedding rings and has info on palladium on their site.

NightfallenRain Posts : 120 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Jan 31, 2011 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

Hey there! Hope this helps-I have a palladium ring and I really enjoy it. I was able to get it resized at a jeweler with no problems =) Everyone thinks my ring is white gold too till I tell them it's palladium.

"The woman came from a man's rib.  Not from his feet to be walked on, not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal, under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine