Moissanite vs. Diamond

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

parvastella22 Posts : 199 Registered: 4/24/06
Moissanite vs. Diamond
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 6:54 AM

I just think it might be a good idea for me to get a moissanite instead of a diamond.  I wanted to ask if any ladies have seen or have a moissanite ring.  It looks really interesting.  I don't want a totally traditional ring...was wondering if there are any good thoughts on this gem?

Re: Moissanite vs. Diamond
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:45 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

I watch shopnbc all the time, moissanite is one of their featured gemstones. I must say the stone is very impressive and looks just like a diamond. I see nothing wrong with the substitution if that is what you want. If you do, be sure to post the pic, I would loive to see what you decided on.

December2007Bride Posts : 169 Registered: 8/23/06
Posted: Sep 19, 2006 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

I think that moissanite is a lovely stone! I say go for it!

Posted: Sep 20, 2006 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

I don't think they look like a diamond.  I did some serious research recently (for my e-ring) and www.nexusdiamonds.com has the best replacement.  I researched it as both someone getting her masters in Material Science Engineering, and as a woman who loves sparkly things.  The best way I can describe the nexus diamond is to compare it to a cultured pearl.  (Insert core and the real thing grows around it)  They start with another stone that has the same structure, and grow diamond around it.  So, it looks precisely like a diamond, because you are looking at diamond.  I don't work for them - really.  You don't hear about it much, since only they sell them.  There are other lab-created diamonds, but the other ones you can buy are expensive, and then there are the lab diamonds the Asian gangs are selling.  

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

Some moissanite looks yellowish, especially 1 carat or larger. The stones aren't graded in any way, so you'll have to look to get the color you want. If you're ordering from somewhere, you may have to order several and return the ones you don't want.

Also, it's doubly refractive, so it's sparkles a lot more than a diamond, some people think too much.

marissa3 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/29/11
Posted: Jan 29, 2011 10:16 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

I have a moissanite ring. It's beautiful. My husband and I talked about it for a long time and realized that we really didn't care what other people thought! We love each other and the although we don't tell anyone it's not a diamond (none of their business anyway ;) - we know how much money we saved. If it's important to have a diamond on your ring, why not do what we did? I have a beautiful 2ct. center moissanite on a band of little channel set diamonds. It's gorgeous! And when people say "what a beautiful diamond ring you have," I just say "thank you." :) We shopped around for a long time doing research and price comparisons and found http://www.moissanitebridal.com to be the most helpful (they have an actual phone number you can call to ask questions), not to mention beautiful stuff!

Marissa

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Evil Vendors
Posted: Jan 29, 2011 10:42 PM Go to message in response to: marissa3

Evil Vendors

Two vendors replying to 4-year old messages.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine