Designer handbags (and no I am not an Evil Spammer)

Online Users: 1,284 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Designer handbags (and no I am not an Evil Spammer)
Posted: Jan 18, 2011 10:45 PM

Ladies,

We got swamped last weekend by all these counterfeit designer handbag evil spammers. A tip of the sombrero to Allison for the heroic job of deleting them all.

That got me to thinking. I can't say I'm really impressed when I see someone with a designer handbag.

Year ago, when I was in 8th grade, a designer handbag craze swept through our school. Every girl had to have a "John Romain" handbag. I begged my mother for one, and finally got it, after many misearable hours of babysitting my brother in return. (Look it up on eBay. They are the classic preppy handbag.)

There were a lot of knock-off (fake) John Romains, and I could spot a fake from a mile off.

So... I ask myself, if I were the type of person to care about designer handbags, and if some friend of mine came in with a new designer handbag, wouldn't I be able to spot the fake right away? How could that friend think she is impressing me with her "riches" if she's carrying a counterfeit?

What's the whole purpose in buying counterfeits? They just emphasize how non-rich you really are. Not to mention, how questionable your personal ethics might be by doing something that supports organized crime.

Postscript to my story. After 8th grade, and after the John Romain craze went the way of the horse and buggy, I put my purse up on the closet shelf. Years after that, when I was a penny-pinching grad student, I carried a purse until the stitching was falling out. A new purse in those days was about $60, and that was a week of groceries on my tight budget.

I went to my parents' house for Christmas, with a purse that had seen many many better days. I was hoping for enough Christmas gift money to buy a new purse, or (even better) hoping my mother would take pity on me and offer to buy me something.

Well - there in my closet in my parents' house was my old 8th grade John Romain, in perfect shape. I dusted it off and said to myself "Whoo-hooo I just saved myself sixty bucks!!!" Who cares if it was, by that time, 8 years out of date? Not me. It was great quality and lasted a good long time before it, too, was too ratty looking even for my low standards!

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Re: Designer handbags (and no I am not an Evil Spammer)
Posted: Jan 18, 2011 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Aunt,

Every time I see the fake designer handbags, all I can think about are the "gypsies" in Europe who love to hawk them off to the tourists. My mother and I used to yell that the police were coming so that they'd swipe them up in their bed sheets on the ground and get the heck out of our vacation. Man, could they run... Wish I could get the same satisfaction out of typing "Evil Vendor."

While I've never been a fan of designer purses myself, my favorite purse is one my sister gave me for my birthday a few years back. She took a $15 canvas purse from Target and spent hours stitching beads all over it for me, even creating a huge, colorful butterfly on the back. I toted it around for a while, mostly because I just needed a purse, and a friend's mom who LOVES the designer purses asked to see it and raved about it, asking me where on earth she could get one. Apparently with the beading, the purse now looks like it could be worth about $300. Now I carry it with pride because not only does my sister love me, but I really do have a one-and-only designer purse.

CaliforniaLove Posts : 15 Registered: 2/15/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 2:25 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

This magnet hangs on my fridge..

I would never get a fake purse for many of the reasons stated.. Many counterfeit bags are at least $30. I could get a super cute $30 bag from Target or on sale at Macys. Just my opinion.. ;)

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 9:30 AM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

Dear WW,

Yes, I've seen the countefeit hawkers in Europe. I was at the Leaning Tower of Pisa last November, and it was almost impossible to get from the parking lot to the cathedral area due to the counterfeit hawkers standing in the way.

I don't mind buying a legitimate souvenir from a street merchant, but no way would I ever buy anything counterfeit.

I love your beaded purse story! Can you post a photo?

Dear CL,

Great graphic!!! The counterfeits look so .... fake!

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 1:38 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I've never had the desire (or money for that matter) to have a designer bag. Perhaps it was the way I was raised, I just can think of many things I'd rather do with my money when I have it for "fun stuff"!

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE cute bags/purses! Especially when I get a steal on one at say a thrift store, or clearance rack, or Target! If it's cute, functional and affordable, I love it!

I keep a few favorites from through the years, and occasionally just trade them out :)

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 1:15 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45676.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 4:18 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Rosa Clara Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-rosa-clara-c-420_451.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine