One Fish, Two Fish, I'll Register for the Blue Fish

Online Users: 1,283 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
One Fish, Two Fish, I'll Register for the Blue Fish
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 2:09 AM

How many places should I register?

I have about 300 guest invited. I've registered in 2 stores so far but I haven't found many things in each place. I was advised to have twice as many things in various price ranges as guests to give them choices.

How many places should I register? I don't want to overwhelm anyone.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: One Fish, Two Fish, I'll Register for the Blue Fish
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Where have you registered? I registered at two but had about 150 guests. I probably could have just registered at BBB but I really liked some of Macy's pots & pans.

Do you need more stuff? Do you have a house? If you don't need more stuff, then it might not be worth registering... Just a thought. :-)

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I registered at BBB and Target.
I'm moving into my fiance's house from my apartment. I don't need things but a lot of my stuff are college things that are kind of worn out. His house stuff is even more so.

We have a mall in a smallish town with a Dillard's, a Penny's and a Belk. We also have a store that (no lie) specializes in bridal registry.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I never knew the Better Business Bureau had a gift registry! ;-)

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Posted: Jan 19, 2011 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

So have you not found things to replace those that need replacing? Or have you pretty much replaced those things and are still at a loss?

If you are moving into a house - are there any house things you need - there are registries at Lowes and/or Home Depot, I just don't think that they are online. Sears can also be a good place for house things like tools, etc.

I mean, I know that I registered for a top of the line Dyson vacuum cleaner and while no one had gotten it, I have enough in gift certificates to get it - and it is worth it's weight in gold.

Posted: Jan 19, 2011 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Sorry double post.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Jan 19, 2011 4:27 PM

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Hey Lemoncake!

My fiance and I are having about 260 and we have 3 registries: BBB, Target, and myregistry.com. We decided to go for a universal registry because BBB and Target didn't have some of the things we wanted, or we thought we'd like a "better" version of them.

The universal registry is really nice. We've registered for crystal to match the decanter my fiance received for Christmas, dishes to go with the set my grandmother already got me, a unique wine shelf, etc. With some cellphones you can even use the camera to scan the item in a store and the item will automatically be added to your list. The button for your internet browser is really nice too. If you think you have all the necessities covered in your other two registries but are looking for some unique items, like a piece of work from your favorite artist, I highly recommend a universal registry.

csturnx0 Posts : 2 Registered: 1/19/11
Posted: Jan 21, 2011 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

The least overwhelming place I found is myregistry.com, an online gift registry. It allows you to create one registry with items from multiple stores. So instead of registering at one or two stores you can add whatever items you'd like from wherever on one registry. I love it and by the way it was absolutely free. So now whenever i see something from a store i simply click on my toolbar button and it's directly added. I hope this helps you because it really helped me.

kakers Posts : 12 Registered: 1/22/11
Posted: Jan 23, 2011 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: csturnx0

Have your guests found it as easy to use as you have? In the past I have the most experience purchasing from Target registries, and it s great as I can go to the store, print out a copy, it tells me what is in stock and where exactly in the store to find it so I know that I am getting the right thing. How does myregistry work? How does it keep track of it something has been purchased already?

~Katy

Posted: Jan 23, 2011 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: kakers

Kakers - That's pretty much what they ALL do. However, Target's return policy, at least in the past, has SUCKED! Even if it says Target ALL OVER it, they won't take it back without a receipt and then the Target employees don't take things off the registry - one girl ended up with 4 Target toasters she couldn't return.

So overall, I've never recommended a Target registry. I thought about registering there and found this out - Thank goodness!

BBB takes EVERYTHING back even without a receipt - for store credit or cash. Great customer service!

AnnaKay12 Posts : 17 Registered: 12/20/10
Posted: Jan 23, 2011 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I'd like to second the above comments on the Target registry. A friend registered there for her baby shower and had a terrible experience. She received numerous double gifts from people who said they brought the registry with them to the check-out counter, so it seems as though the cashiers don't always take the items off the registry. She then had a tough time returning these double gifts as well. I'm sure there are others who have had good experiences with the Target registry, but I'd personally caution against using them!

Posted: Jan 23, 2011 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I wasn't trying to imply that Target was a good one, it just happens to be the only one I have personal experience with. I was wondering is myregistry.com manages to make the process as easy for the guests as for the bride and groom, because ultimately if it's not easy the guests aren't going to use it and you'll end up with random gifts.

Posted: Jan 23, 2011 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: kakers

But in that case you are also assuming everyone on your guest list is computer literate and capable - which if they are that's fine.

But mine were NOT! That's what I'm running into now with a baby registry. I would rather do an Amazon list, but some people are computer literate.

The fact is no matter WHERE you register, you get regifts you may or may not use, weird gifts that you don't understand and can't return, and who knows what else. You smile, nod and thank them.

BUT I always figure that if I register, I want a place with an easy return policy. BBB has the best return policy out there - but it's not for everyone.

I would have NEVER thought about the return policy if not for these boards. If you know what you're getting into - it's all on you. But knowledge is always a good thing.

Posted: Jan 24, 2011 2:07 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I am wondering if you are replying to me, or in general, when you say "you are assuming..." as I was not the one who mentioned myregistry.com, csturnx0 was the one who said it was helpful. I'm simply trying to get more information about it.

Posted: Jan 24, 2011 8:29 AM Go to message in response to: kakers

In general - You have to reply to 'a person' - it was a general thought.

Some brides have RSVPs via email or their bridal website - often suggest also including a phone number because of the same thing with a registry online - not everyone is computer savvy.

Now, only you (the bride) knows all of your guests to know how this would work out. Some know that it's all good and that's great - some hadn't considered it.

Personally, as things often get bought more than once even off a registry - I don't want to have to go back to more than a couple of stores for returns. That's me personally. So that would be another aspect to consider with a registry from multiple places (and something to consider for me with a baby registry - if I register at Amazon, I have to MAIL BACK returns). Do I want that hassle? Hmmmm, maybe it depends. LOL

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine