Is it ok to have a bridal shower and reception in the same place?

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

shirley16 Posts : 14 Registered: 1/13/11
Is it ok to have a bridal shower and reception in the same place?
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 8:23 PM

My sister lives in a nice housing community and I need a place for the reception. I asked her if it was ok for me to reserve the community reception for my wedding reception and she said it was the same place that she was throwing my bridal shower. So it may be weird if they were both in the same place. I didn't think it would be a problem but is it weird?

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Is it ok to have a bridal shower and reception in the same place?
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: shirley16

It might be unusual, but there is nothing wrong with doing it...plus a lot of your guests will already know how to get there!

Misty

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: shirley16

Dear Shirley,

I don't see anything wrong with having both events at the same place, so long as they are on different days.

KaiEvents Posts : 4 Registered: 1/17/11
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 11:55 PM Go to message in response to: shirley16

It's absolutely okay to use the same location. I suggest theming the room quite differently with a common colour palette. Use the non-dominant colour of the wedding as the primary colour for the shower and the dominant colour for the wedding.

Here's hoping that both are a wonderful success!

Two human loves make one divine. - Elizabeth Barrett Browning http://www.kaievents.com

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jan 18, 2011 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: shirley16

Of course, it's "OK," but it wouldn't be my first choice, if I had a choice. I'm sure that finances enter in to your decision, and so you do what you have to do.

In any case, I would make every effort to distinguish one event from the other. If you can, hold them in different spaces (indoor vs. outdoor? Smaller room vs. larger, if this exists?) Change the color palette, table set-up, decor, food, etc. If you do this, it will be fine.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Jan 18, 2011 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I would say go for it!
As cat said - for the wedding some people would already know how to get there.

The one thing I would suggest though is to see if there is enough parking for everyone attending the reception though as condo lots are usually mostly reserved parking with 4 or 5 guest spots. You might have to get special parking passes for on the street for an event, or through the condo board.

You probably won't have much say over the decorations for the bridal shower as usually that is totally planned by someone else. So I wouldn't worry about choosing different themes. Maybe the bridal party could be over a lunch instead of dinner.

The other upside of having both in the same place is that if you notice anything strange or have any issues with the building you can have them fixed or prepared for for the wedding!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 18, 2011 1:55 PM Go to message in response to: shirley16

I honestly can't imagine why it would matter. That's just me.

And it's not like you are planning your shower (and you are correct) so you wouldn't have known prior to this.

shirley16 Posts : 14 Registered: 1/13/11
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Thank you girls, I thought it wasn't strange but my sister makes me doubt myself sometimes. It's a good point too Beeble, I will take a closer look at the place when we have my bridal shower and look for anything strange so I can prepare/have them fixed before the event.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine