Diamonds are forever worthless.

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 41

deliciousappleb... Posts : 15 Registered: 8/21/10
Re: Diamonds are forever worthless.
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

Lol! * bows * Well, you're welcome I guess. I thought I'd get burned for snapping like that, so it's nice to see I'm not the only one thinking this.

It's just so frustrating. Wedding planning, the money, the time, the commitment, the stress. And people are going "Omg why don't you have a ring?!" or "zomg SPRING colours at your FALL wedding?!" or "* gasp * why is your ring so small/big/boring/flashy/made of wool?!" and now someone else who should KNOW how that feels is going to come in here and tell me that my fiance and I wasted our money getting a diamond just because it's not technically "worth" anything? Well of course it isn't. Neither is your car or your house or your cell phone - but you pay for those things, don't you?

Jealous, jaded little girls shouldn't be stomping around with their noses in the air pretending that they aren't upset that I got diamonds and they got CZ. As though brides need anything else to stress about? Or other brides making them feel bad? It's disgusting. I didn't flip out in defense of my diamonds specifically, I flipped out at the absolute NERVE of some chick coming here and telling us brides that we're wrong again about one more irrelevant detail that has nothing to do with them in the first place. Don't like diamonds? Take it up with DeBeers, don't dump your agenda on my effing lawn. You're not elightened or a genius, you're a shit-disturber.

Heads high, brides! Diamond rings are pretty, and that's why I have one. Not because I NEEDED one, not as a resale investment(wtf?!), and certainly not because I mistakenly believed that diamonds had some intrinsic worth that wasn't based on a marketing, supply/demand valuation system. We wanted one, we had the money, we bought one. My ring is pretty, and is a special gift from my future husband to me. I'm not sorry, and shame on anyone for trying to make me be.

/end rant

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

Oh, I'm not bringing this up because I'm bitter about the divorce. I'm bringing it up because, for the practical minded, they may decide that instead of spending an average of $3,000 for a ring, they may decide to put the money towards something else (like a car, or their educations). Especially if they figure that they can sell the ring later on down the road if they need the money.

I personally know a family of 4 who is very poor. They live in a small trailer in a trailer park. They have one child who is special needs. Because of all of the "a diamond is forever" stuff that they see in ads, they (the unmarried parents) skrimped and saved and sacrificed, even putting off their wedding until they could afford a decent engagement ring for the wife-to-be. I think of how much time and resources they wasted on that ring, only to have it come to be not as worth what they think it is in the end. They actually purchased their ring, with the thought that if they faced any other financial trouble, that they could (very reluctantly) sell thing ring and get back at least some of the money that they had put into the purchase.

But if you don't agree, and feel that your diamond is worth it, great! I lurk on bridal websites because of the happiness and optimism here. Plus, the pictures are gorgeous, LOL! It's just that it seems that the wedding industry as a whole tries to sell you on spending a ton of money on "the perfect day", and too many brides focus on that day as opposed to the life that they should be building with their husbands. I saw the ring thing as an example of that. That's all. :)

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Dec 19, 2010 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: PLysak

Shame on me then for having my future husband to be spend nearly 5 digits on my ring. Had I known it "wasn't worth a thing" then we would have gotten my ring for a quarter from a candy machine.

Both of us work 2 jobs to be able to save for a down payment for our first home this summer, we also both worked a third job for a few months to be able to buy out our engagement and wedding bands. Do we feel bad? absolutely not! and you know what, I know my ring is a lot more than most ladies I have met-but to me it's besides the point. It just so turned out that THAT ring, was the one we both fell in love with. It turns out there is a really great story attached to it as well. You know what, we both worked hard to get our rings, and you can bet your little rear that I'm going to do a very good job showing it off.

I think should a bride wanted to be "enlightened" she would have ask for some advise or posted her concerns. It's embarrassing for you and really to bad, that you let your low self esteem and jalousie get in the way and attempted to put down some very proud brides to be, about their beautiful and outstanding rings.

I feel sad for you. I hope that in the end, you're able to find a ring that makes you happy.

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Dec 20, 2010 2:19 PM Go to message in response to: deliciousappleb...

Delicious - thank you for that reponse. I am one of those many girls out there who wanted a ring. And my FH wanted to get me one. That's all there was to it. You don't go into diamond hunting as an investment because we all know it really isnt. And yes, it is probably due to marketing that many people want a diamond engagement ring - but that is the point of marketing, to make you want something.

I think diamonds are pretty. I like how they look, I love how mine sparkles. That is why my FH chose to get me one - and I don't think anyone should be trying to put their "you shouldn't want a diamond" beliefs on other people. I wouldn't trade my ring for anything. :-)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*Met: 9/17/2009 *Started Dating: 11/14/2009 *Engaged: 11/13/2010 *Mr and Mrs: 9/17/2011
Daisypath Wedding tickers

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 12:54 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

LOL, OK I guess it is "to" bad for me and my "jalousie" then. Although I never put down anyone, but OK, whatever. LOL!

anxiouspeanut Posts : 8 Registered: 12/14/10
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: deliciousappleb...

deliciousappleblue you are fantastic!!!! This was the best post I've read on here and I agree with you 110%!!!

deliciousappleb... Posts : 15 Registered: 8/21/10
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 2:19 AM Go to message in response to: anxiouspeanut

:D

pengchloe Posts : 8 Registered: 7/22/10
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 7:33 AM Go to message in response to: ginarook

I wasn't aware of it. was thinking, diamond and gold is something which will have its demand in rise and at the other side, the price will keep going up.

PolarIce Posts : 39 Registered: 12/17/10
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: pengchloe

That's the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen. Only someone who is jealous and unsure about themselves would take the time out of their day to attack every women on a forum like this, to feel better.
A diamond is worth what people are willing to pay for it. It's well beyond a financial decision, it's also an emotional one. It's a piece of jewelery that will be worn EVERY day, something to represent someone's love and truly special bond. The cost of it doesn't matter; however it is worth every penny.

My engagement ring is beautiful, and it was exactly what both myself and my fiance thought of it to be. I am the proudest women in the world; and I have no problems telling you, that my ring alone was nearly 5 digits! shame on me....good look at yourself in the mirror before starting a ridiculous thread.

WoodlandBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/6/11
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: ginarook

I am reminded of a Joan Baez tune.... Diamonds and Rust. Most of the "stuff" we have in our homes is essentially worthless to anyone but us. It is sentiment that sets the value.... Therefore, a diamond in an engagement ring is priceless.
That being said... I am extremely budget conscious. I encouraged my fiance to buy a ring off Craigslist. Saved over $1,000 in a comparable diamond we were looking at from the jeweler.

mikesangel4lf Posts : 26 Registered: 4/11/09
Posted: Jan 13, 2011 12:45 AM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

Honestly I don't get the huge deal about diamonds. I personally think they are overrated, overpriced, and ugly. But I believe that to each their own and if someone wants a diamond it is their choice in the matter.

Gay Marriage Pictures, Images and Photos     

kakers Posts : 12 Registered: 1/22/11
Posted: Jan 22, 2011 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: ginarook

As most people have already pointed out, almost nothing has any resale value. Welcome to living in a commercialized culture, where material possessions are desired to HAVE not as investments, but just to know you have it.

I am aware that diamonds aren't going to be sold back for anything close to what they are purchased for... but nothing is. I bought a pair of pants today... $70 for WHITE pants. Once the tags come off and I wear them, what are they worth? I got a car 2 days ago. $20k. Once I drove it off the lot, what is it worth? Well, certainly not anything close to $20k. But, these items have value other than MONETARY. My pants have value to keep me clothed so that I may leave my house. Did they have to be $70? No, but in them I can go to work and look professional. My car will get me from point A to point B. Did I need the heated seats? No, but they sure were VALUABLE to me today, it being the coldest day of the year here, when I drove to the store.

A diamond ring may not have a practical use. But to me, it is still valuable. As I have told my boyfriend, I would marry him if he got be something inexpensive and sparkly. But I WANT a diamond ring, or a gemstone ring with diamonds. I don't wear nice jewelry, I do not own any diamonds, and this will be the ONE piece of really nice jewelry I will have, and plan to have forever. It will make me happy wearing it.

Lets be honest here, nobody NEEDS a diamond ring. Nobody needs any jewelry, so why buy it? Oh, right, because we like it and we want to. That's good enough for me!

kathyarora Posts : 9 Registered: 1/5/11
Posted: Jan 22, 2011 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: ginarook

Well, if we really think about all jewelry, they are all worthless. you don't need jewelry and it doesn't do anything. The value that we think it has is assigned by us. Having said that, the reason the diamond you bought drops in value if you want to sell it is because no stranger will trust you if you want to sell the same diamond you just bought a n hour ago for the same price. The oly way you can get someone to buy it off of you is because you drop the price so their greed takes over and they are willing to risk it. The way around this? Some jewelry stores will sell the diamond for you and take a part of the money. This way if you had a $10k diamond, you wouldn't have to sell it on the street for $2k. You can have a jeweler who people trust sell it for $10k, then he takes his cut so you end up with less than $10k, but more than $2k for sure. Problem solved!

rms180 Posts : 1 Registered: 11/21/11
Posted: Nov 21, 2011 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: kakers

Resale value isn't the issue I have with diamonds. An expensive toaster over a cheap toaster should perform better, or it's value is incorrect. An expensive car over a cheap car should perform better, or it's value is incorrect. Gold has intrinsic value because it is hard to find. Therefore it can be used a means of currency for exchanges between willing buyers and sellers. You pay more money for gold because of it's rarity. I dislike the fact that for many years, we were told diamonds were extremely rare. That's what made them valuable and worth spending money on. Trust me, if Mercedes Benzs were actually piece of crap cars, no one would buy them. It's not that someone told me a Benz is valuable, it's that it does more than an average car. If I'm going to pay top dollar for a rare stone, it better be rare.

happychloe Posts : 21 Registered: 8/11/11
Posted: Nov 21, 2011 10:10 PM Go to message in response to: rms180

:)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine