Dipping My Ring (?)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Dipping My Ring (?)
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 4:36 PM

Hey ladies,

I had no idea where to place this question, but I figured Married Life would do nicely since you all have rings you wear on a day to day basis!

I have a ring that was given to me as a gift by my SO a long time ago. The ring isn't made of the highest quality metal, but I believe it's sterling silver (or at least plated with sterling silver) of some kind. It's really begun to wear down and actually split open at the bottom of the band (on the underside of my finger). Not good. Anyway, I know that can be fixed, I just need to have the ring welded again.

My question is this: before the ring had even broken, I'd thought about having the ring dipped in silver (or maybe even platinum), just to make it look nice again (the years have not been kind to this ring) and to strengthen it again after it has been welded.

Is it possible to do this with such a "low quality" piece of jewelry? Would a jeweler even take me seriously if I came in with this ring? It may not be valuable, but it has all the sentimental value in the world to me, and I'm willing to spend a little money to save this ring.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Dipping My Ring (?)
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 7:16 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Dear Van,

I actually think you should take the ring to a jeweler and see what they say. The jeweler can look at it and give you a professional opinion.

Just tell the guy "don't laugh" before you take the ring out of your purse.

There are other options, if it cannot be saved as a ring. It could be made into a pendant, for example.

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Aunt,

That's what everyone's been telling me here, too, "Just take it to a jeweler." I'd be very straightforward with the guy and say "Hey, I know you're used to working with high quality metal, but this has a lot of sentimental value, so humor me."

I think I just may do that. Thanks!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine