DF rant re: cash bar

Online Users: 1,270 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
DF rant re: cash bar
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 4:09 PM

I just wanted to vent, because I know my fellow "manners matter" people will understand! So, df and I have agreed, we want to host soda, beer and wine at our reception, which is what we can afford. Only, now df is insisting we offer a cash bar anyhow. I've agreed not to make a battle out of this (not worth the energy), but just wanted to say "grrrr!" That's all!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: DF rant re: cash bar
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: MizJodi

Dear Jodi,

" Only, now df is insisting we offer a cash bar anyhow. I've agreed not to make a battle out of this (not worth the energy), but just wanted to say "grrrr!" "

I'm with youl Grrrrr!!!!!

There is a way to do a cash bar, without looking bad.

The reception is in a venue where there is a regular bar on the premises. (Hotel, etc.) Within the banquet room where the reception is held, food and drink are provided by the hosts for their guests, as you mentioned in your OP. Providing soda, beer and wine is perfectly acceptable.

Should a guest wish a mixed drink, that guest can leave the reception banquet hall, since you don't lock the door imprisoning your guests, walk to the regular bar, buy whatever drink they want, then walk back to the reception banquet hall with the drink in hand.

Assuming local liquor laws and the reception venue both permit this kind of thing, this can work.

You might want to talk to your FH and also to the reception venue to see if you could handle it that way.

If not, then just figure this is a battle that you will not win, suck it up and move on.

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

It's at the Eagles Lodge where we're members, and technically guests CAN'T go through the door to the regular bar. But apparently it's standard for them to add the cash bar for further choices. Now, the one italics almost italics redeeming factor is that it will bring a bit more money back to the Eagles (one of df's argument for.

And yes, df is pushing for so little, I'm just going to suck it up, and look for more important battles!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: MizJodi

I think that's probably just best MizJodi. You have to pick your battles.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Since you have so many complimentary choices, the optional cash bar doesn't sound SO bad... better let the df have his way with this one, it'll be ok!

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

Yes, I am letting him have this one :) There's so much more to think about than that! And yes, we will have plenty of complimentary beverages :)

But figured better to vent here, and get it out of my system, then go home and be irritated! And thanks to you all, I'm all right now! :)

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: MizJodi

good girl!

Plus, if you're hosting soda, beer and wine, then your guests do not HAVE TO SPEND MONEY to get a drink. Now, they might have to spend money to get their particular drink, but they do not have to spend money

Misty

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine