Buying a wedding dress online. Need advice.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

gracefulbride Posts : 3 Registered: 12/20/10
Buying a wedding dress online. Need advice.
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 12:04 PM

I found a perfect wedding dress that I think is "the one." The only problem is it is online. The price is perfect, everything is perfect about it except I can't see it before buying it or try it on. Aggrr....What do I do? I really want this dress.

gracefulbride Posts : 3 Registered: 12/20/10
Re: Buying a wedding dress online. Need advice.
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: gracefulbride

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: gracefulbride

Be careful. Find others who have used the company, if you can.

Discuss return options, should you be dissatisfied.

Finally, ALWAYS pay with a credit card that will protect you if you don't get what you thought you were paying for. If the company doesn not accept cards, GO ELSEWHERE!

myra@classysassyweddings.com

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: gracefulbride

Dear GFB

I would be EXTREMELY wary of buying a dress from China, or from any place outside the US*. (I'm American.)

You have little resort should anything go wrong. If you buy a dress from a local reputable bridal shop, you have all kinds of backup (up to and including Small Claims Court) if something goes wrong.

Could you look around your town for a professional dressmaker who could make a dress for you?

*Similarly, Canadian brides would want to buy from known, reputable Canadian sources, Irish brides from known, reputable Irish sources, etc.

tekiadivas4896 Posts : 1 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: Jan 26, 2011 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I agree that buying a dress online is risky but can be very rewarding if you do your research! I actually brought my dress online from China and its gorgeous! It fits perfectly with lil alteration as I lost weight :-) best advice go with your gut feeling and research! Happy wedding planning

Ripley2011 Posts : 10 Registered: 1/26/11
Posted: Jan 26, 2011 1:38 PM Go to message in response to: gracefulbride

I bought a knockoff dress online from a Chinese dressmaker, and I couldn't be happier. I saved over 75% off the designer price and the dress is gorgeous. But if you're in love with all the little details of your dream dress, don't buy online. A dressmaker who tries to replicate a dress from a photo will only give you a dress that is similar to the photo. So if you just like the overall idea or feel of the dress, go for it, but make sure to allow plenty of time to replace it if it isn't what you want. Also, keep in mind that you will have to find someone to alter it and press it (you won't have a salon to do that for you).

inkielee Posts : 7 Registered: 1/20/11
Posted: Jan 26, 2011 6:24 PM Go to message in response to: gracefulbride

I bought my dress online and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I did a lot of research on the website before buying the dress. I read many reviews and also looked at pics other ladies posted of the same dress I bought. The dress looks amazing in all the pics! I paid $200 for a copy of a Vera Wang dress, the reviews are outstanding for the dress! I'll post a pic once it's delivered and I'll let you know the details when I try it on.

I hope you come to a decision soon, good luck with finding your dress!

evie19 Posts : 35 Registered: 1/16/11
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 3:28 AM Go to message in response to: inkielee

I already am getting a dream dress, but i'm considering getting a reproduction of an elie saab dress that i loved also that is super cheap online from endenbridal.com

does anyone have any experience with them?

and i have questions for the brides who were happy with the dresses they ordered online- was the detailing close enough to the originial that it could pass for the original? were the quality of fabrics the same? or was the quality different?

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: evie19

The organza was a different sheen and texture from the original (but I like the organza on my dress better!). The beading is a different pattern. From a distance, it might pass for the same dress, but not up close.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 10:02 AM Go to message in response to: evie19

Ladies,

When talking about "replica" dresses, you are really talking about counterfeit. Many people can spot a counterfeit immediately.

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

That's true. If you want the look and quality of the designer dress, or if it is important to you that others know you have a designer dress, buy the designer dress. I just wanted an inexpensive but pretty dress that was the same shape and idea as the one I saw in the store.

Edited by: Ripley2011 on Jan 27, 2011 3:38 PM

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: Ripley2011

Just though I'd let you know, the dress I bought from Ebay arrived last night! It's definitely the designer dress! It's brand new, no soil marks and surprisingly not that wrinkled for being packed in a box for 2 weeks. I tried it on and it fits great. The lacing in the back comes right together though so I could have it taken in a bit. I was fretting a little about it but I guess I did enough research so that I didn't get ripped off! On an even happier note, I found a veil on kijiji for $10 and the beading on it matches my dress perfectly!

WoodlandBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/6/11
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

I bought my dress online from a company in China with a CA based distributor. It is not a knock-off. Just a very simple dress. I am very happy with it and paid less than $150.

That said, the compromise came in the fabric. While still satin, it is a much thinner weight than the traditional "bridal-weight" satin. It looks fine, but is not as durable and will prove more difficult to clean and alter.

Totally happy and would order from the company again.

aaronwilson Posts : 1 Registered: 2/8/11
Posted: Feb 8, 2011 7:04 AM Go to message in response to: gracefulbride

Always go for a better place to buy Wedding dresses. Especially when it is an online purchase. I would suggest you to go for

http://www.davidsbridal.com Or if looking for Saris or Bridal Lehenga go for : http://www.bride-pride.com .

Edited by: aaronwilson on Feb 8, 2011 7:04 AM

Matilda25 Posts : 2 Registered: 11/29/11
Posted: Nov 29, 2011 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: tekiadivas4896

do you mind sharing which wedding site you used to buy your dress? THANKS

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine