speeches...to be or not to be?!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

sf Posts : 12 Registered: 1/5/11
speeches...to be or not to be?!
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 4:30 PM

i am wondering if there is any appropriate way of not including speeches in the ceremoney? its not that we anticipate any embarrassing stories its just speeches at weddings we have previously been at come across as awkward or forced and I also think its something that the best man etc are dreading on the day. Could we just skip the speeches altogether or is it a requirement?

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Re: speeches...to be or not to be?!
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: sf

just to clarify; do you mean the reception?

one way to get around it; make it "open mic" for speeches at your RD. At the actually reception, let your BM and MOH give one, just give them a time limit. You can only say so much embarrasing stuff in 60 seconds!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 5:12 PM Go to message in response to: sf

Traditionally, the Father of the Bride gives a speech (this was from when the bride's family hosted the wedding) and the Best Man gives a speech.

That has now evolved to often include the MOH, Father of the Groom, if desired OR the couple, if hosting - thanking everyone for coming.

My MOB gets horrible stage fright and doesn't do well in front of people - I totally excused her from toasting. I don't think that my Dad gave a toast - I thanked everyone for coming and sharing in our day. My brother did a toast (he was a GM) and our BM did a toast.

That said - Are toasts required - NO. If you want to do a champagne toast though - someone needs to say 'something' even if it's the dj saying 'To the Happy Couple'.

Someone should thank the guests for coming.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 5:30 PM Go to message in response to: sf

Dear SF,

At the very minimum, whoever is hosting the event needs to thank everyone for coming.

It need not be elaborate.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Susie's mother and I want to thank everyone for coming tonight and sharing this wonderful day with us. And, now, a toast to Susie and Joe!"

sf Posts : 12 Registered: 1/5/11
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 7:41 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Im so relieved...thank you ladies

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: sf

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine