Is a theme always a good wedding idea?

Online Users: 1,330 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

jacky562 Posts : 7 Registered: 12/10/10
Is a theme always a good wedding idea?
Posted: Dec 16, 2010 4:36 AM

My wedding will be 2011 and I'm having a huge problem with my wedding theme.

Rencently, I have attended my college friend's wedding.
I was shown to my seat by a Vulcan or a Klingon, I’m not exactly sure. An old college buddy of mine excitedly invited me to his Star Trek wedding. He insisted it was a great wedding idea to have members of the wedding party dressed as characters from Star Trek, the TV show. The wedding invitation even suggested that I come dressed as an extraterrestrial – thankfully the “costume” rule for the guests was optional. The vows were read in Klingon, which I’m sure the wedded couple thought was a great wedding idea, as well. Looking at the bridesmaids and groomsmen all decked out in various forms of body armor, capes, masks and wigs, it looked like we were filming an Ed Wood movie. I had to disagree with my old college friend, a Star Trek theme was definitely not a good wedding idea. So, what is the theme of my wedding? So far I have just looked at the dress in boncyboutique, still have a lot can do. Hmmm! What is your wedding theme? Which one would be better?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Is a theme always a good wedding idea?
Posted: Dec 16, 2010 7:15 AM Go to message in response to: jacky562

Dear Jacky,

"I was shown to my seat by a Vulcan or a Klingon"

It sounds like a 13-year old kid's birthday party.

No matter. It's what the couple wanted and it was meaningful to them. As a guest you just suck it up, be polite, give them a nice gift, then laugh about it later in the privacy of your own home with intimate members of your family that you can trust not to blab to the Star Trek fan couple.

Or, you can tell us. We won't blab. We'll just laugh right along.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 16, 2010 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: jacky562

Honestly, there's a lot we considered but ditched just because we figured it would look ridiculous, and while we'd like it today--it would not hold up through the years.

We thought about Princess Bride (although...it is a darn good thing I did not find that recreation dress until well after the wedding ;) )

In the end, we went with a celtic inspiration -- but we were not purist about it.

:)

Misty

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Dec 16, 2010 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: jacky562

In the annals of tacky weddings, that one sounds like a winner.

As far as I'm concerned, a theme like that is NEVER a good idea. A "theme" is not necessary under any circumstances, although some sense of coordination is--in other words, a color scheme, a general feeling of "spring," or "Christmas," or "luxury," or "rustic." Cat's Celtic inspiration would be a nice example. But, dressing your bridal party as Klingons? I think not!

myra@classysassyweddings.com

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 12:02 AM Go to message in response to: myras

I do remember the forum seriously questioning the sanity of someone last year who was planning a Twilight wedding (of course, she wasn't engaged yet) :)

Misty

pamelaliebwitz Posts : 8 Registered: 11/30/10
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 6:48 PM Go to message in response to: jacky562

Wow, when I saw the title for "theme wedding" I wasn't thinking Star Trek. I think it's safe to say that a theme wedding is not always a good idea. To each their own.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 11:17 PM Go to message in response to: jacky562

Ladies,

It's always good for a laugh. Just imagine how the couple will think, later, when showing their wedding photos to their children.

"Mom, Dad, you did that? How embarrassing. Why can't you be NORMAL parents???"

futureswedishbr... Posts : 115 Registered: 7/27/10
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 10:03 AM Go to message in response to: jacky562

My wedding is May 2012 and my theme is butterflies in the spring.

Loreleis_Song Posts : 4 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Dec 31, 2010 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: jacky562

I love themes as long as everything ties together. I am actually doing a theme for mine. It will be a Gothic Steampunk theme and will be on Halloween 2012. So the reception will kinda be a Halloween Ball.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Dec 31, 2010 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: Loreleis_Song

Gothic Steampunk? Please describe what that will be like.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

Loreleis_Song Posts : 4 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Dec 31, 2010 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Well the colors are black, red and purple and I will be pulling a lot of Victorian era styles as far as my dress and my girls dresses. I will be doing the mini top hat for reception. It won't be traditional Steampunk with the gears and the like but will lean more for the Victorian side of Steampunk.

So all in all it will kinda look like a darker version of the traditional Victorian styles. I wish I had some good pictures but as I am making almost everything by hand, I haven't really started on much. I only have the images in my head until I do the sketches. I am hoping to update some soon.

GIJenni Posts : 14 Registered: 9/23/10
Posted: Dec 31, 2010 9:14 PM Go to message in response to: jacky562

You can do a color theme. I am doing tiffany blue, white, and chocolate brown. They have a heart theme ect. This can just mean what is on your napkins or cake topper. Oriental Trading had a heart theme and i think doves. A color theme is always a good idea so that you can coordinate the bridesmaids and groomsmen.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 9:06 PM Go to message in response to: jacky562

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine