What Not to Wear

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
What Not to Wear
Posted: Dec 29, 2010 6:49 PM

Is it ok to advise guests on what to wear to my wedding?

We were thinking on including a card in our invitations that went a little like this:

Because our invitations don't give much of a clue to help you decide what to wear, We thought we should let you know our wedding is semi-formal and outdoors. Feel free to wear bright colors and airy fabrics, but most of all wear something to make you feel comfortable and fabulous.

Does this sound ok or would you recommend another course of action?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: What Not to Wear
Posted: Dec 29, 2010 7:00 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Dear LCF,

"Does this sound ok or would you recommend another course of action?"

Way, way TMI.

First, your invitations should give a clue as to the formality of the event. If an invitation arrives with black engraving on cream card stock with the "request the honor of your presence" wording, then it's formal.

If the invitation says "Hey, y'll, we're getting hitched!", then it's informal.

If you still think your guests need more guidance, then just put "Attire: Semi-formal" at the bottom of the invitation. That's really all you need to do. If anyone still doesn't get it, they can just call you.

"Feel free to wear bright colors and airy fabrics"

You'll hear from a lot of would-be comedians:

Does that mean I can't wear pastel pink, as that's not "bright" enough? Does it mean my husband can wear a fuschia printed Hawaiian shirt, as that is both bright and airy? Can I wear a dress like Marilyn Monroe did in "The Seven Year Itch", and stand over the air vents so the dress will blow up over my face?

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: What Not to Wear
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Aunt is totally right. Use the wording of your invite to give a clue about the "outdoors" part (e.g. Garden Wedding, Brunch in the Garden after the ceremony, cocktails on the lawn, etc.) As for fabrics and colors, really--not your call. Trust your friends to have taste (or NOT!)

My daughter's rehearsal dinner invite said, "Mexican fiesta, come shake your maracas," and also said that dress was "colorful casual." And we STILL got phone calls on what to wear!

myra@classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine