Unexpected trip advice

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Unexpected trip advice
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 11:30 AM

Hi ladies,
My apology for putting this in this section. We are not engaged yet(tho I think it might happen by the end of the week *crosses fingers*), and thought this would be the best spot for it.
My dear boyfriend's grandpa has suddenly become very ill(very little family left on his side), so he is going to be placed in hospice care. He's decided to fly down to have a chance to say goodbye. Unfortunately, I will not be able to go with him, as Im unable to take time off(work in health care), and because we are relying on my position here(for a morgage in the spring), I can't risk taking unauthorized time off.

What makes this difficult, is that we are located in Cowtown Calgary, and his grandpa is in Bosnia, which means he is going to have to go down for 3-4 weeks.

Where I need the help, is in putting something together that he take down with him. Unfortunately he will not have internet or phone available there(third world country). Maybe my idea in trying to be there for him is innappropriate(I'll admit been a little overwhelmed with the news since last night), and knowing I can't go down with him, I feel really saddened.

I would really appreciate some insight or ideas or comments on what I could, should or even shouldnt do. Thanks a lot.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Unexpected trip advice
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

dear HB,

" Unfortunately he will not have internet or phone available there(third world country). "

Bosnia is not a third world country. There are internet and phone connections in Bosnia, as well as plenty of cell phone providers.

Once your FH is in Bosnia, he need only go to a cell phone store and get a plan that provides for inexpensive calls to Canada. That should not be too much trouble. Next, he should ask around for an internet cafe. I have been to Europe a lot (but not Bosnia) and have seen internet cafes everywhere. The first place to check would be near the central train station in town or the local youth hostel.

In Rome and in Barcelona, I used the Easy Internet Cafe and was very happy with the service. I just looked them up on the web (www.easyinternetcafe.com) and found they have several locations in Sarajevo. If the Easy empire, based in London, has made it to Bosnia, I am sure there are many other smaller, local providers in that country.

I'm guess that it's been a while since your FH has been to Bosnia. Things change rapidly these days.

I've been all over the world and have never been in a place lacking internet connectivity or cell phones. I think North Korea might be the only country not yet connected to the internet.

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Appreciate the time you took to take a look, but didn't so much appreciate the ignorance of the response.
The area he is travelling to is in fact a very poor area. It is a 3 hour bus ride from Sarajevo. So no, absolutely no web or phones that would allow calling a different continent, hence my request for some advice on providing him with something meaningful, from home.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 7:21 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

Seems to me anything you could think of to send with him would be more meaningful and make more sense coming from YOU as you know him and we don't even know you, much less him.

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Absolutely, you're right. I've been trying to get some old photos of us that I will try to slip into his luggage. That's where I lack creativity-being unable to come up with anything than photos. We'll see what tonight and tomorrow brings. Will do searching online for more ideas.

Jaymee Posts : 143 Registered: 10/6/10
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

I don't know if you will see this in time but you could write him a little letter and tuck it into his luggage. Just tell him how you wished that you could be there with him and that you love him, etc. I'm sure that would bring him a little comfort during this sad time.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 11:19 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

Hamzic- Have you guys ever collected a souvenir from someplace that might travel well? Like a stuffed animal or something.

Or maybe you could find one that has a special meaning and put a note on it and tuck it into his luggage - he'll unpack it with the note of why you chose it?

Tell him that when you saw it - it reminded you of 'such and such' time so you hope he'll be able to put it out and when he sees it he'll think of you and that time together?

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Thanks Jaymee and PharmToxGirl, those were great ideas. It hadn't even crossed my mind. There was a cute souvenir we got on our very first trip together that I could definitely pack in there. The leaving of a note in his luggage is absolutely genius. Great idea girls. Really appreciate it.

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 3:32 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

Well and see I was wrong - we were able to help despite not knowing him. :-)

Caddie249 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/6/11
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

"Appreciate the time you took to take a look, but didn't so much appreciate the ignorance of the response."

I passed through Bosnia 2 years ago and my cell phone coverage was fine all the time. There was also a telephone section in all the post offices. So, hopefully you will be able to keep in touch - like the previous poster said things have changed rapidly over the last few years.

To answer your original request, how about hiding a few little letters and "love notes" in his luggage so he finds them slowly over the course of his trip.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 5:10 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

A-Line Straight Neckline Strapless CockTail Beading Empire Waist Zipper Chiffon prom Dresas
Save up to 30% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $118.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-straight-neckline-strapless-cocktail-beading-empire-waist-zipper-chiffon-prom-dresas-p-32013.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine