The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!

Online Users: 1,360 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,599

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Re: The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 7:59 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Hi mommas,

Pharm, that so exciting you felt the baby moved :).

I haven't been here forever. I'm so busy at work and my supervisor is being a PITA lately.

Yesterday we took Dylan to meet Santa and take photos. He cried. We knew he was going to cry. Maybe next yr he won't cry. He's enjoying all the cookie baking. He keeps me company in the kitchen, play with the measuring cups and wooden spoon and trying all the cookies.

The ILs arrived today. I'm hoping he doesn't cry with them.

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 10:05 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

That's exciting Pharm! A great way to start off the holidays. And it's so nice that your mom will be able to be there for it.

Sy, how old is Dylan now? Time is flying by...Good luck with the in-laws!

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

Agape, Dylan is 10 months. Time is going way too fast.

Thanks! I'm very happy they are coming and Dylan will get to see and spend time with both set of grandparents during the Holidays.

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: MrsSy

So my SO and I had an interesting conversation last night about what the best time of year to have a baby is. Did any of you try and time when you would have your baby?

The reason we were talking about it is because one of the other coaches that works with my SO at the gym club is preggo and she timed it so that the session would end a month or so before the end of her pregnancy. (will be interesting to see how pregnant gymnastics coach copes)

My SO says that the best time for him to leave would be at the end of the spring session and into summer as it's easier to get replacement coaches when the other younger coaches are not in school. So we theoretically would have to start trying in fall (in a few years) and hope to get lucky.

Here in Canada we get parental leave that can be split between both parents and my SO says he would like to take half the time. I don't know if I would want to get back to work after 6 months, but I know I couldn't extend my time off with unpaid leave as we wouldn't be able to pay the bills. Is it selfish of me to want to take most of the leave?

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Hi Ladies, can you believe it's Christmas week?! Wow, it really snuck up on us this year!

So I have a question for you all, and I apologize in advance if it's TMI, but I just wanted to see if any of you had anything similar happen. My D&C was 12/3 and I bled pretty heavily for a solid week. Then didn't have anything happen for a week. Then this past Saturday DH and I had sex for the first time since it all happened, of course we used a condom, but ever since then I've been having like a brown/reddish discharge (sorry if this is the TMI part!) It's not like a period, but it's been going on for 4 days, and today I noticed maybe a little pink? So I'm not sure if maybe we irritated my cervix, if this is leftover M/C stuff or if I'm having like a really light period (since there wasn't much in there to start with after the D&C and week of heavy bleeding). I'm trying to not get excited about the fact that it may be a period and then maybe I can wait for my next real one and feel good about maybe starting to try again.... but it's just so odd. Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks for reading, and again, sorry for TMI!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 9:47 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Beeble- DH and I wanted to have a summer baby. we certainly planned when we'd start trying with the hope that I'd get pregnant when we hoped. It was more like an agreed time to start trying. Fortunately, it worked the first month and the baby is due 6/11.

Brooke- I don't have any idea what that could be but I did want to share something with you. My DH's best friend and his wife were expecting. She got pregnan in June and sadly had a m/c in August. They waited 2 months and are now perggo again! She is due exactly a month after me! Her pregnancy is going wonderfully. Of course they are being fairly careful but couldn't be happier. Of course DH and I are pretty psyched too because now I have a preggo buddy and our kiddos can be besties just like DH and his friend. I hope that this was a healthy period for you! It sounds like your doing well and as hard as this must be just know you have all the support in the world right here. :)

OH YEAH!!! Pharm how did the u/s go!?!? I can't wait to hear the details!

Edited by: MrsPaul on Dec 22, 2010 9:51 AM

wedding ticker for myspace  BabyFruit Ticker

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: MrsPaul

OK - Had the U/S this morning ladies! My DH and my Mom went with us and the tech is a friend of mine - so that was also awesome! She was so excited to do our u/s!

And - There's an ACTIVE baby, there's still only one! (Thank goodness!) LOL Seriously though, everything looked great. Weight is measuring a little big, but nothing too crazy. (And not surprising given the sizes of me and my bro and my DH when we were born.)

We DID NOT find out the sex - at least not intentionally. I think the doctor let it slip - but I'm not sure so I don't want to get my hopes up. :-) The tech, D, made sure we looked away and she printed a pic of it but kept it to give to us after the baby's born.

I do have some early indicators for gestational diabetes. There is more fluid around the baby and the baby's stomach is measuring 2 weeks ahead but the head is in the range it should be. They seemed to be very clam about this and said I'll have the test at week 28, so not to be surprised if it comes back positive for g.d. And I appreciate the warning. D said that I'll go on a special diet and that insulin is not usually necessary.

I'll probably research it a little more and maybe watch what I eat a little more, but I'm not going to stress over it NOW. I don't want to tell the ILs yet about the g.d. though because my MIL will start watching everything I put into my mouth as soon as she knows, and it's going to piss me off. So I would like to get through Christmas and not say anything until we know for sure one way or another.

Also, D mentioned that my placenta was anterior (?, maybe posterior, I forget now) to my cervix, so I'm going to feel less movement then I would if my placenta was oriented the other way. So that's good to know with the kicking and whatnot - man, the baby was a regular jitterbug in there! D had a hard time getting pics and measurements! LOL

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Beeble, you might get some interesting responses to this as I've encountered lots of people who feel very strongly against planning for babies in terms of timing...But I'm a planner, so I totally get what you're talking about =)

I specifically did NOT want a Fall baby. We have lots going on in the Fall in terms of celebrations (our wedding anniversary, 2 cousin bdays in September; Thanksgiving, DH's bday, MIL bday, FIL bday, BIL bday, cousin bday, close friend bday in October; my bday, aunt bday, uncle bday, cousin bday in November; friend bday, and Christmas in December). And to top it all off, work is usually very busy for me in the Fall. And so I didn't want to have a baby in the midst of all that, so we decided we'd try any time other than from January - March. This baby was conceived on the first try in October and we're expecting him/her in late June/early July (there are only 2 family bdays in early June and then no more until August. and work is usually a lot more calm in the Summer so July is great timing =)

I have friends who are teachers and have specifically tried to work their pregnancies to coincide with the school year (i.e having summer babies).

So I'm totally for trying to time things, but just keep in mind that it may or may not work.

In terms of sharing the leave, I'm not (I'm in Canada as well btw). DH is going to take 3mths off, but he's going to do something called Leave with Income Averaging (LIA). Basically, your employer averages out your pay over the course of the year to account for the extra time off you take. And the only reason we're not sharing the time is that I'm also going to take some LIA leave in addition to my mat/parental leave in order to extend my time off and there are restrictions regarding when/how to do it when you're combining it with other leaves (I plan to be off for 18mths with the various combinations of leave).

A lot of places have LIA or similar programs that allow you to bank a percentage of your pay in order for you to have a chunk of money available to you during a period of Leave W/O Pay. So you and SO should look into that.

Personally...I wouldn't want to go back to work at 6mths. Maybe you can suggest to DH to try one of those other leave options that I mention (and you could do the same). Or if that's totally impossible, that he take 12wks of the parental leave and can be home with you and baby for the first 3mths. That scenario would leave you with 15wks maternity and 23wks parental. 9.5mths

Start researching now (HR people are notoriously bad for following-up) and see what options you both have in terms of other forms of leave that could be used. Because, it doesn't really matter what the leave is called, as long as you and SO are both able to be home with baby for the length of time that makes you happy.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Sy, I hope you have a wonderful first Christmas with Dylan. What is he getting for Christmas?

Pharm, you had an exciting U/S appointment! Glad to hear baby is hopping around in there. I believe it's the anterior that keeps you from feeling the kicks. Post = in the back, so ant must be in the front, which means you'd have extra padding in front and therefore can't feel them as well.

Beeble, in theory I'm for equal-opportunity parenting, but in practice I would want more than 6 months, too. A couple of pieces of info that might make your decision easier is that 1) if you're breastfeeding, it will definitely be easier if you're the one at home. Of course you can pump if you have to, but BFing is so easy--no contraptions to hook up to, no parts to wash. 2) I've heard from a number of guys that they don't feel as bonded to their kids when they're babies as the mom does, but when the kids get older, can communicate and become more social, that's when they start feeling the bond much more. So you'd probably have a harder time leaving the baby than the father would when the baby is young.

preview image

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Hi Ladies! WOW, my 2 weeks of work-hell are OVER. My co worker is back and now I am on my own again. I had about 17 meltdowns over the past 2 weeks. It was awful. Plus add to that my aching crotch and my exhaustion and heartburn...UGH UGH. But I made it.

And I have off Friday & Monday, then again Thur and Fri next week, so I am very excited. Most of it will be spent at home but I am going to see my niece and nephew one day and hang w/ my mom another day.

Pharm, great about the u/s. Your OB/Midwife will be able to tell you more about the size measuring. Our U/s tech and dr FREAKED us out about the kidneys being "too large" and then we talked to my OB and he was like "this is so common and is usually fine". So we have the follow up for that next Thursday to make sure they are measuring fine. If they aren't, there is nothing they can do til she is born, but I hate possbly knowing that something isn't right for the next 7-8 weeks. My DH is a big guy so my Dr said that could also be why they looked "larger".

It soudns like everyone else is doing well. We got our parents Christmas ornaments with the baby's name on them so we can tell them on Christmas what her name is. I figure it's better to just get this out now. It's annoying having to hide it--especially when that wasn't even my idea!!

We did our hospital tour and I proceeded to bug out for about 48 hours after. I think it finally sunk in that I will be in a HOSPITAL and having not really been to one that many times, let alone stayed in one, freaks me out. I am sure thats normal but it all became REAL and i didnt like it. But the hospital is nice and everyone kept going on about how nice the staff is and how awesome they are. So that can make or break your experience. Plus there were some "interesting" characters there...like someone right from 16&Pregnant, complete with loudmouth-horror story-telling-Mother. I wanted to HIT HER!!

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ - I can understand the freaking out - I would think it's common.

My Mom seems to think that the doctor did not give away the baby's sex, but she thought that my tech/friend may have - so now I have NO clue what the sex is because I didn't hear her say anything. LOL Which is where I wanted to be in the first place. My Mom knows. Which is weird, but is all good. She won't tell me and she won't buy things one way or another. It just confirmed what she already thought. She's NOT telling anyone though.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

OMG not knowing I could deal with, but knowing someone else knows would KILL ME!!!!

Oh and then another thing about the hospital. So 3 support people are allowed in L/D with you. I only have 1, DH. So on the hospital website/booklet it says "there is no waiting room, please have anyone else who is not a suport person wait at home til the baby is here". So that is what we tell the ILs b/c my MIL was under the impression that she is going to wait at the hospital the minute I go into labor, and then come in the room to see the baby after she is born. We rell her no, sorry, no waiting room-the hospital suggests X.. Ok now we go on this tour and we get up to the maternity floor and there is a BLAZING sign that says GRANDPARENTS WAITING ROOM. I'm like NOOOOO WTF is this?!?!? And apprently according to the booklet they gave us at the tour, grandparents are allowed to pop in after delivery.

So I think that was stressing me out during the tour. But we talked and he told MIL that we will happily give her a key to our house if they want to hang out at our house (they live 90 mins from us and probably 2 hrs from the hospital) and that when she is born and we are settled in the Mother-Baby room, THAT is when they can come. Along with everyone else!! So really we're just hoping she is not born between the hours of 11am and 8pm and that we can get a good solid chunk of time to rest and spend time w/ our baby before ANYONE comes to see us!! :)

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Agape: That is very good information to know! I certainly understand what you mean with HR! Sometimes can be months to get an answer. Good thing we have a couple years to figure things out. It would be sooner if I had my way... but I'm learning to be patient with the process and my slow on the uptake SO.

I'll ask about the LIA. Luckily here at the University i get a 95% top up for the mat leave portion.

I can understand why you would want to be off for 18 months seeing as daycare for an 18 month our younger is a dramatic increase. 1250.00 vs $995 here.

Happy: That was pretty much what I said to him. I said it would be nice to have him there in the beginning, he could take a week or two paid holiday then when the baby gets older and maybe when switched over to a bottle he could take a month or so at the end and I could go back to work or use banked holiday hours. I really think he would get bored with a newborn (as he would prefer children over infants) with it not interacting. I also hear/ see with my friends that the infant can really only be consoled by mom anyways... but who knows how much of that is just cause they don't let the dads do anything and because the dads are not there in the day.

NJ: I love the Christmas ornaments with the name on it idea! That's such a good idea. I'd get tired of ppl asking me too. I know i'm already tired of everyone asking why my SO and I are not engaged yet. they have all been asking since about a year and a half ago! It's died down a little now though which is nice. It's easier to put it out of my mind.

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Pharm! That's great about your U/S appt!Glad it went well! And having such an active baby! :) I'm sure that's so awesome to feel!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 9:33 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Pharm, Yay for the active baby! Is good your mom can keep the secret.

Happy, Thanks! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas also. Dylan is getting a little people farm and a stride and ride. What Garret is getting?

Dylan cried a little bit with the ILs and didn't want to be held by them the first day, but was playing with them. Yesterday he was ok with them holding him and he was more playfull.

I'm so happy I'm working until noon today.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine