Bilingual Wedding

Online Users: 1,281 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 4

viviennenola Posts : 1 Registered: 11/24/10
Bilingual Wedding
Posted: Nov 24, 2010 8:20 PM

My fiancée and I are planning for a March wedding and although we have the location and I have my dress, I can't seem to figure out the most important part of the wedding:

My fiancée's family is from Mexico, and he and his two brothers are the only members of the family who speak English well (his mom and dad know a little, but are far more comfortable in Spanish). All of my family has English as their first language. I want our wedding to make both of our families feel comfortable and welcome, but I can't seem to think of a way to do this without making the ceremony seem choppy and uncomfortable.

So far, our only two ideas are to do everything in both languages, but I fear this would make the ceremony very long and boring. The second is to do some of the wedding in English, and some in Spanish, with a translation in the other language in the program.

Which of these do you think would work better? If you have a better idea, please feel free to tell me, because I'm going crazy searching for a solution!

Thanks!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Bilingual Wedding
Posted: Nov 24, 2010 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: viviennenola

Dear Viv,

"So far, our only two ideas are to do everything in both languages, but I fear this would make the ceremony very long and boring."

Not at all. I've been to several bilingual weddings and all have been lovely.

Here is my suggestion.

Go through the ceremony and look at what parts people already pretty much know. Then, alternate paragraphs in English and Spanish.

When you come to parts of the ceremony that people will not recognize, then just do it twice.

When it comes time for your vows, you speak yours in English and he speaks his in Spanish.

Another suggestion is to print out the entire ceremony in a program, with English on one side of the program and Spanish on the other. That way people can just follow along.

This would work if you are getting married in a liturgical church (ie Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, etc) where the marriage liturgy is already set and already translated. If you are writing your own vows, then you'll have to write your own translation as well.

It will be OK.

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Nov 25, 2010 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: viviennenola

I love bilingual ceremonies. I always thought they sounded so cool. Lay out the vows how you and your FH feel most comfortable and figure out from there how you will translate. I think programs in both languages would be easiest for everyone.

Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

AngeArmani Posts : 56 Registered: 3/29/09
Posted: Nov 25, 2010 9:20 PM Go to message in response to: viviennenola

I've been to several bilingual weddings, usually the translation is done after the whole speech, rather than sentence by sentence.

All the best,

Angela Armani.

My very own personal blog! It's all about cake toppers! weird huh?

http://ultimateweddingtopperguide.blogspot.com/

Please do! I'm interested in your thoughts!
Laughing

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 12:48 AM Go to message in response to: viviennenola

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine