Throwing Rice

Online Users: 1,285 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

asiabride Posts : 9 Registered: 7/15/10
Throwing Rice
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 3:16 PM

I've been to weddings where we threw birdseed at the couple, one where we blew bubbles, and one where we held up sparklers. For my wedding, I'm thinking about going back to the old tradition of throwing rice. I know people stopped doing that a while back because they thought it would kill birds that eat it. I love animals and would never want to do that if it were true, but I've heard that was really just an urban legend. I checked on snopes and a couple of other websites, and all of them say that it wouldn't hurt the birds at all.
I'm just wondering if this is something that has been pretty much debunked, or if most people still believe it. Even if it is safe, I don't want the guests to think they're making birds explode either! Anybody heard anything either way?

Edited by: asiabride on Nov 7, 2010 3:16 PM

bmamca12094944 Posts : 3 Registered: 3/20/10
Re: Throwing Rice
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 3:40 PM Go to message in response to: asiabride

I've notice this practice is no longer, I have no idea as to the exact reason, I know that many venues prohibit throwing rice also. I could be that people slip on rice and fall or it may be that leftover rice calls for pests. Another solution would be to throw confetti instead.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: asiabride

The rice thing is an urban legend.

BUT you need to check with your venue if you have one or once you have one.

Some venues prohibit throwing ANYTHING.

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: asiabride

Rice throwing is prohibited in alot of places because it's a pain to clean up. A venue may let you if you can trap someone into a contract saying they'll clean it for you after you leave... But good luck trying to get someone to agree to it.

Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

Posted: Nov 7, 2010 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

A lot also don't want birdseed OR flower seed OR ANYTHING thrown.

Hence, why you must check with the venue for anything.

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Nov 8, 2010 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: asiabride

I would also rethink the rice just because I can imagine it being a pain to get out of your veil/hair etc. So beyond the annoyance of someone having to clean it up, I think the time it would take to get it all out of your hair before pictures would be enough to go in a different direction.

We did bubbles (sort of--since we exited the church first, it was a delayed tossing) and they look great in pictures.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

Birdseed can be a pain in the hair and down the cleavage too - BUT I was in a wedding with bubbles and the bubbles stained the dresses and you could see it in the pictures.

So there's drawbacks to most anything.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Nov 8, 2010 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: asiabride

I think if you want to throw rice and your venue allows it, then go for it! One easy solution to avoid the awkward "rice in my hair/cleavage" problem is to make sure you wear your veil when they throw the rice, that might help a little...

Another option you could consider, if your venue doesn't allow rice, is to have lit sparklers. They look really nice in pictures, particularly if it is dark when you are leaving your venue.

asiabride Posts : 9 Registered: 7/15/10
Posted: Nov 8, 2010 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

Thanks everyone. Most likely we'll be getting married and having the reception at my home church, although the family farm hasn't been completly ruled out yet either. Either way, I know there's not a rule against throwing rice. That's a good point about it being a pain to get out of hair, I hadn't thought about that. It shouldn't be too much of a problem though, because at the church when we do weddings/receptions together, we usually throw the birdseed or blow the bubbles or whatever else at the very end while the couple is leaving the reception, so the pictures and everything are already over and done with by then.
I was mainly concerned with whether or not most people still believed the myth about the birds. I guess it's a good sign that you're all saying "check with the venue" instead of "you bird killer!" lol

KateLouise Posts : 40 Registered: 7/16/10
Posted: Nov 12, 2010 8:25 AM Go to message in response to: asiabride

I can't imagine anything worse than picking out rice from my hair. If you are having a simple, loose, straight style with no products or grips in your hair, it might be ok as you could just brush or shake it out. But otherwise, I wouldn't.

We had guests throw fresh rose petals over us and it worked really well. Maybe consider that? Just buy a bunch of roses the morning of and pull them apart into a basket. It looks pretty in the photos too.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine