Overly Sensitive for tipping?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

bmamca12094944 Posts : 3 Registered: 3/20/10
Overly Sensitive for tipping?
Posted: Nov 6, 2010 10:59 AM

My Make-up artist insisted on a tip after the make-up and hair trial, I felt she was being pushy and quite honestly I felt embarrased, she was working out of her own apartment and obviously the fee was going entirely towards herself; she really did a nice job especially with the hair. I did not signed any contract with her yet, she sent me a thank you email for the tip.

I am having second thougths just because the way she approached me towards giving a tip, my best friend and another client were there, too, so they witnessed the manner in which she asked for it.

Is it just that I am being oversensitive or should I start looking for another MUA?

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Re: Overly Sensitive for tipping?
Posted: Nov 6, 2010 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: bmamca12094944

I'm not sure what the rules are for tipping for a trial run, but if you're not comfortable with her, find another makeup artist. I just thought when someone who usually gets tips performs a service, you should have a tip ready to go. But that's just me and I don't know the actual rule about it.

Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 6, 2010 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

I'm with April in the sense that I had a hair trial done at the stylists' home and I still tipped her.

Do I think that she should have asked you for a tip, no.

But if you are not comfortable with her then I would find someone else.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Nov 6, 2010 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: bmamca12094944

The etiquette protocol is to tip, but it seems extremely rude for someone to ask (insist?) for the extra dough. Since you were happy with the trial run it was obvious that you were going to give her more business in the future, and probably recommend her to others for even more future business.

I think this MUA shot herself in the foot for asking for a tip. It was obvious that you would have used her again had she not mentioned it. I would look for a different MUA, you could always go back to her if you weren't happy with others' services. She was not being professional when she asked you for the extra money.

bmamca12094944 Posts : 3 Registered: 3/20/10
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 3:28 PM Go to message in response to: bmamca12094944

Thank you all for your insight ladies, to answer a few questions, yes I was happy with the make-up and hair results, yes I would have tipped her anyways, and yes I already looked for another MUA and found one who was beyond professional, I tipped her too. I felt very comfortable with her from the moment we began communicating about what I wanted, she only does make-up,however and now I will have to find a hair stylist, but I am extremely happy about my decision to look for someone else.

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: bmamca12094944

If you were gonna tip anyway, how early did she ask you? Before you paid? Jeez, yeah, best to move on.

Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: bmamca12094944

Ladies,

In general, I think that most professionals believe that if they give great service, the tips will take care of themselves. I am wary of dealing with someone who is pushy for tips.

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: bmamca12094944

A-Line Sweetheart Neckline One-Shoulder Strap with Ruffles and Split on teh Skirt Floor Length Zipper Chiffon prom dress
Save up to 24% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $129.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-sweetheart-neckline-oneshoulder-strap-with-ruffles-and-split-on-teh-skirt-floor-length-zipper-chiffon-prom-dress-p-31970.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine